Menu

Have you come across any particularly good biographies for 3-4th grade level?

Blessedfamily

My dd abolutely loves biograhies. I didn't know it until I had already done a good portion of my curriculum order. She was gushing over Ben Franklin as if he was a rock star.:blink: Then she started asking for a bunch of biographies. I think she get's enthralled with seeing how these people were as children, and what they became.

I have no way of telling which are quality or well written.

This is for extra reading and history. We're just getting to late Assyria/Early Rome in history, so I can use any time period from there forward.

I'm looking for all the standard people, and some you don't generally run across in texts.

Examples-

Franklin

Washington-Carver

Jefferson

Einstein

Beethoven

Benjamin Banneker

Sacajawea

etc...........

Guest Alte Veste Academy
She was gushing over Ben Franklin as if he was a rock star.:blink: Then she started asking for a bunch of biographies. I think she get's enthralled with seeing how these people were as children, and what they became.

Mom, Ben Franklin is totally AWESOME! :lol: Read this bio and see for yourself. :D The Story of Benjamin Franklin by Enid Lamonte Meadowcroft.

http://www.amazon.com/STORY-BENJAMIN-FRANKLIN-Signature-Biography/dp/B000VBK2BA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235137603&sr=8-1

I got it from the library and loved it so much I had to buy it. I love, love, love the Signature biographies from the 50's because they have a great amount of detail without being too much for the age. Plus, they all (at least the four or so I've read already) start with the childhood of the subject. I truly believe it lets kids connect. George Washinton's bio in this series starts by talking about how GW can't spell the word blue. My son LOVED that! They're all called The Story of... so you can search for the person you want that way.

I think the Signature books are well written and age-appropriate for 3-4. I'll try to link you to some more.

Then there are the Sterling Point biographies which are wonderful--my favorite, in fact, notwithstanding my accolades of the Signature series. The Sterling Point are a bit more advanced. I have no idea what level they're written for. They're older books that are being republished in paperback and I can't find them on my book leveler. However, the one on Abraham Lincoln won Newberry Honors and held me rapt. It was a wonderful book. Same as with the others, it got me hooked on the series.

http://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Point-Books-Abraham-Lincoln/dp/1402751176/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235137984&sr=8-1

Franklin (see above recommendation)

Washington-Carver http://www.amazon.com/story-George-Washington-Carver-Signature/dp/B0007DDX6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235138049&sr=1-1

Jefferson http://www.amazon.com/Signature-books-Earl-Schenck-Miers/dp/B0007DT10K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235138156&sr=1-2

Einstein & Beethoven - sorry, not there yet in history

Benjamin Banneker http://www.amazon.com/What-Are-You-Figuring-Now/dp/0876145217/ref=ed_oe_p (pretty good, a picture book)

Sacajawea http://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Point-Books-Pacific-Sacagawea/dp/1402741383/ref=pd_sim_b_16

The Sterling Point books are fairly easy to find in the "customers who looked at this also looked at this" way. Or you can type in Sterling Point for whoever else you're looking for.

Good luck! We're doing American history for the next two years, which is what got me started on the biography hunt. I'm hoping my kids are where your daughter is soon! :001_smile:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

What do you know? Signature has Beethoven...

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Beethoven-Signature-Books/dp/B0007DT3EE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235138874&sr=1-1

OK, for anyone interested (because I know I would have been...), here is a list of the people who have a Signature bio.

Louisa May Alcott

John J. Audubon

Dan Beard

Beethoven

Good Queen Bess

Buffalo Bill

Daniel Boone

George Washinton Carver

Edith Cavell

Winston Churchill

Christopher COlumbus

Crazy Horse

Madame Curie

General Custer

Amelia Earhart

Thomas Alva Edison

Dwight Eisenhower

Leif Ericson

Stephen Foster

Benjamin Franklin

Geronimo

Ulysses S. Grant

Haydn

Andrew Jackson

Thomas Jefferson

Joan of Arc

John Paul Jones

Helen Keller

Jacqueline Kennedy

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Lafayette

Robert E. Lee

Abraham Lincoln

Mozart

Florence Nightingale

Annie Oakley

Louis Pasteur

Pocahontas

Marco Polo

Eleanor Roosevelt

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Robert Louis Stevenson

Mark Twain

George Washington

Martha Washington

Mad Anthony Wayne

I would personally be hesitant to buy some of the Civil War and modern books because of the racial prejudices of the time. These books were written in the 50's and 60's. I haven't read any from that time frame but would tend to get more modern versions based on what I've seen in other books.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy

A question for those who love the COFA books...

I looked at these when I started looking at bios and they came highly recommended. Indeed, the samples on Amazon look pretty good. My concern about them was based on the fact that they were mostly about the childhood? Is that true? Based on the title, obviously... :D I was worried about frustration (maybe even more on my part than for the kids) if the childhood aspects were detailed and the adult aspects were truncated.

I would love to love them, for that price especially! And 4 for 3, no less...

Can anyone offer some insight?

My 8yo son absolutely loves the COFA books. He picks it up and gets so wraped up in it that he can't put it down. In one hour he is done and runs to me telling me all about the book (it does tell more about the childhood but does include his adulthood accomplishments). Once he is hooked on that life I have him read another biography. He is so excited about the life he can't wait. Also, he is all ears and participating in our history class. I think the childhood aspect causes them to make a connection with the person. I don't buy these almost all of them are available at my library so we just check them out. Maybe you could get some from your library and see if they work for you before you make your purchase.

We also love the YWAM: Christian heroes then and now series (for missionaries) and Heroes of History.

On My Own Biographies ( too easy for 4th grader)

Ingri & Edgar D'Aulaire Books (Not many books, but great)

I love the older editions of COFA that my library has. In the back they have project ideas, questions, main ideas etc. They do cover what the famous person accomplished as an adult, but mostly the time period when they were younger. Neat perspective! We usually find another book about the person we are studying.

I love the Signature biographies - great authors in that series! The Sterling series are mostly reprints of the older Landmarks. A great way to get a collection started!

Those three are the bio series I focus on. HTH!

My youngest is really enjoying the biography series written by Janet B. Pascal, Who Was ...? They are written for ages 9-12 and contain a lot of background information. He is currently reading Who Was Abraham Lincoln? and in addition to the biographical info on AL it also includes background info on the Dred Scott case, Abolitionists, Whigs and Democrats, and more.

Edited by Karenciavo