Menu

Favourite Am. History Spine?

sted

WP AC (Winter Promise American Crossing) is turning out to be great for us! It uses Time Travelers as a spine, but has schedules, added literature, etc. We're having a ton of fun, making great projects, and it's actually getting done, even with the new baby! (who's not so new anymore, wowsers!) There are many ways to go with american (I own all the things mentioned in this thread so far). I ended up with WP because I ended up wanting the hands-on fully scheduled for me. It was the hands-on that was most important to me this time, realizing I could easily add in books. Hope you enjoy your choice! :)

We're actually using American History Stories by Mara L. Pratt. Best of all it's free:

http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=pratt&book=ahs1&story=_contents

This is just Volume 1, there are a total 4. However, if you are interested, they have others too:

http://www.mainlesson.com/displaybooksforamerica.php

We've enjoyed many of the books here so far.

HTH,

I tried various histories and grew increasingly frustrated by the lack of retention with my boys so I picked up one of Joy Hakim's A History of US. Now, history is something that we all enjoy and they actually remember facts because they are interested. We just read, discuss, and look at websites of interest and also we have added the Ken Burns Civil War documentaries which are really good.