Menu

George Washington's mother??

LNC

Has anyone read about her? Mary Ball Washington?

My 7yo son read two easy readers about her today. George Washington's Mother, by Jean Fritz and George Washington's First Victory by Stephen Krensky.

My son actually asked me to read them because he wanted to know what was wrong with her. She was very overprotective and extremely fearful about money. The books were actually such negative portrayals of an adult they weren't young-child friendly!

I'm going to read more online about her, but I was just wondering anyone has come across this info.

I recently read a bio of George Washington and it basically said that while we know quite a bit of his family on the paternal side, very little is known about his mother, other than George tried to get away from her as soon as possible. That she was overbearing and controlling and that while he was cordial to her, he didn't seem to have a great affection for her and rarely spoke of her.

Why she was that way remains a mystery as best I can tell. hth!

I read a fascinating book a couple of years ago about the parents of presidents. It was called "The Raising of a President, " by Doug Wead.

It's been a couple of years, but I remember Mrs. Washington was portrayed sort of as you described. I think his father was obsessed with moving up in society, as well.

Thanks for that link to the article on Mary Ball Washington. I've lived in Stafford County (location of Washington's boyhood home, Ferry Farm) since 1990 and that is the first time I've read anything about her. I had ds12 at Mary Washington Hospital and have driven by the University of Mary Washington several hundred times. I've also visited the home of her daughter Betty (Kenmore) several times. This article is the most information I've ever discovered about her. I am now inspired to visit Mary Washington House on Charles Street in Fredericksburg and learn more about her.:)

Thanks for that link to the article on Mary Ball Washington. I've lived in Stafford County (location of Washington's boyhood home, Ferry Farm) since 1990 and that is the first time I've read anything about her. I had ds12 at Mary Washington Hospital and have driven by the University of Mary Washington several hundred times. I've also visited the home of her daughter Betty (Kenmore) several times. This article is the most information I've ever discovered about her. I am now inspired to visit Mary Washington House on Charles Street in Fredericksburg and learn more about her.:)

I hadn't read anything on her until I found these articles...and I was inspired by this thread! Glad they were helpful!

• 12 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...