Menu

pen and pencil recommendations

helena

I'm getting ready to order pens, pencils, and erasers. I'm done buying average products. I'm looking for pens to use with cursive work, regular and mechanical pencils that write dark, and any eraser that actually erases. Does anyone have preferences for writing tools? What do you use?

That right!! Thanks Janet! I'm also looking for pencil top erasers that stay on and don't smudge weird colors on the paper.

Edited by helena
adding pencil top erasers to my list

We buy Papermate classic 2HB pencils. And on a handwriting thread the other day someone (a dad) recommended Pilot disposable fountain pens. I only let the kids use them for handwriting and so far they are having fun with them and it seems to be improving their handwriting. We buy Black Pearl erasers. But I will be watching this thread to see if anyone has suggestions for pencil top erasers that erase and stay on.

Eraser: Magic Rub. It is a rectangular white eraser that you can get at an office supply store (Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, etc). They are not really expensive, and they are THE BEST eraser that I have found!

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&jspStoreDir=Staples&productId=17658&cmSearchKeyword=magic+rub&fromUrl=home&cmArea=SEARCH&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

Above is a link to a box of 12 from Staples. Just so you know what they look like and pricing, if you care.

I just LOVE them!

Pencils: Ticonderogas, or Mirado black warriors...The ticonderogas have the best erasers

Pens: Pilot G2

The best erasers, although not the pencil topper kind, are the standard size, rectangular white ones...I can't think of the brand. they erase everything really well. I'll try to think of what brand they are...

Eraser: Magic Rub. It is a rectangular white eraser that you can get at an office supply store (Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, etc). They are not really expensive, and they are THE BEST eraser that I have found!

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&jspStoreDir=Staples&productId=17658&cmSearchKeyword=magic+rub&fromUrl=home&cmArea=SEARCH&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

Above is a link to a box of 12 from Staples. Just so you know what they look like and pricing, if you care.

I just LOVE them!

:iagree:

I like Mirado Black Warrior Pencils.

I'll pass along the recommendation of Dr Bruce Smith (author of the SmithHand handwriting program) which is a Pentel "Sharp" or "Sharplet" mechanical pencil in size 0.9 mm with "hb" hardness lead. We have recently taken his recommendation.

He also strongly advises against "fat" pre-k style pens or pencils or the "gripper/finger guide" attachments you can add to "regular pencils as he (Smith) feels they are counter-productive.

We got the Pentel Sharp and it seems to be working well.

Bill

The Ticonderogas or Mirado Black Warriors are both nice (#2 lead) and both have real erasers. I know the Mirados have pink pearl erasers. We have a jar full of Mirados now--I like the black color and the smooth barrel of them. I cannot stand cheap pencils--their erasers are just smudgers.

We are fans of the ticonderoga and black mirado pencils as well, but the favorite of the kids is the Ticonderoga Tri-Write pencils They only have 3 sides which has helped them learn the proper grip. I've come to love them too. We've tried mechanicals in the past but never found one we liked. I may have to look for the Pentel ones mentioned. We aren't using pens in school yet, but for my personal use I love the Pilot Easy touch or G2s. As for erasers... Nothing better than the white magic rub ones already mentioned.