Menu

"Storkbite" birthmark sometimes puffy on newborn's eyelid?

My friend who has no internet access asked me to ask if anyone has had a newborn with a red "birthmark" (probably a "stork bite") on his or her eyelid? She says that it somtimes seems "puffier" than at other times. I asked if the eyelid swells and she said sometimes. It's not a raised birthmark.

We've both had babies with "stork bites" that faded somewhat over time. This looks similar, but why would it get puffier sometimes like that?

TIA

If it gets puffy enough to bother her (or the mom), I would ask the dr at her next check-up. I kind of doubt that he'll do anything about it, as it's on her eye and they usually go away by themselves eventually.

Dd has a strawberry mark, that dr. said would go away by the time she was two. She is now 12 and, while it is fading, you can still see it.

DD had a birthmark on her eye. Whenever she cried it would go a beautiful shade of red. I don't remember it getting puffy, but that could just mean it is a different type of birthmark. She should definitely ask her doctor the next time she sees him, during the time between now and then, she should monitor what conditions seem to make it swell.

Just to encourage the swelling is probably due to blood circulating which increase when a child is crying. Dd had a diff. kind of mark on her back and when she cried it was wayyyyyy bigger. Really scared me, but dr said she was fine. They are monitering its size though. So, while I wouldn't be concerned I would show the dr next I was in for a visit.