Menu

How Can I Learn to Sew?

I can fake sewing a button, but I'm not sure its correct. Other than that, I really don't know how do any sewing. We even have an old Singer sewing machine from the 70's in our garage collecting dust. Is it possible I could learn to use it? Are there any good beginner sewing books or web sites you can recommend? Thanks!

Kelly

I tried a sewing class but while I managed to produce a pair of pajama pants and a pillow, I didn't feel that I learned anything. I was frustrated by that but thought it was just the teacher (she did too much just telling us what to do and it didn't lead to much learning) so I enrolled in a different class, different place. It was more of a studio. One could go there to sew and the "teacher" would be there if one needed help. I needed more than that so it didn't work out either. Then I hired a tutor to come to my house an hour/week to teach my daughter and me to sew. This girl (homeschool highschool girl we know) was great. She has been sewing since middle school when she took some lessons at a community park. She is a sweet girl and very knowledgable. We did those lessons for a while but an hour isn't much and our schedules just couldn't work out for more. From her I learned some basics and really shed my inhibitions. One of the best things we did was meet at the fabric store for one of our "classes" to talk about fabrics and patterns. She showed me what kinds of things make an easy pattern and what kinds of thing make a so-called easy pattern hard! She showed me fabrics that are hard for beginners and fabrics that are easier to work with. I would have loved to continue with her but our schedules just couldn't be reconciled.

When we stopped our lessons I really stopped sewing for a while. Then, I decided I wanted to get back at it. I found this website

http://sewing.patternreview.com/news

and started with some patterns that were reviewed as "Great and Easy for Beginner." I'm looking at some of their book recommendations now and trying to decide on a good resource to invest in. To find the book recommendations go to the message boards. To find the pattern reviews, scroll down on the main page and click on pattern reviews. That site is set up so that you can browse the pattern (et c.) reviews and then save it to a favorites bank. I like that. I have asked a lot of questions of the board membership and always get good answers.

The first thing my daughter and I sewed together was this: http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/pillowcases.asp

It's a pillowcase and this girl really laid it out in very easy to follow steps . . . except for one thing: I still haven't figured out the blind running stitch on my machine (I can do it by hand, though).

I'm now moving on to kitchen curtains. I'm looking at pattern reviews for a pattern that is both easy and educational and considering the things our tutor taught us for choosing a workable-for-me pattern.

So, among a couple of classes (that I really think were useless), some private lessons, and now pecking my way through easy/educational patterns I'm figuring it out. After my two classes, I'm just not willing to take another one. Doing it pattern by pattern is what i'm going to stick with for now.

Oh, I want to mention Sewing for Dummies patterns. I have not used one yet but I plan to try one soon. I happened to notice the other day that each pattern (at least in the pattern books) is labled with the specific skills that will be taught in the pattern. I think that's pretty neat sounding but, as I said, I haven't tried it yet. Maybe my curtain pattern . . .

Good luck!

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne