Menu

Training pants?

mo2

Are there any training pants for beginning potty training that are VERY absorbent (cloth, not disposable)? The ones you get at WalMart just don't hold enough for the beginning, you know? My almost-2-year-old is interested in the potty, but by the time we get his pants, diaper cover, adn cloth diaper off, we're always too late.

Both Toys-R-Us and Kmart carry the training pants that are plastic on the outside and thick cotton on the inside. They are all one piece with stretchy elastic at the waist and legs, making it much easier to get them up and down. They look like a daiper cover, so they are definately not as cool as the little underwear type, but hopefully there is not too much peer pressure when they are two.

I had some really good ones. Nothing from the big box discount stores worked. And those things covered in plastic from the big box stores don't feel all the comfortable (but I didn't wear them)

Unfortunately, I forget what brand was my favorite. Nikki and Bummi were two brands I used, but there was one more I think. Perhaps someone who has done this more recently than I could weigh in.

Most anything Gerber brand will be made with "absorbant inner" which is basically pillow stuffing, which absorbs nothing;) (I think it's a conspiracy to keep Huggies and Pampers in business:tongue_smilie:)

What I use? I took big boy undies with Elmo and Thomas the Train on them and sewed oval shaped pads and stitched them into the big boy undies. The pads are made from microfiber (like auto rags), topped with cotton (microfiber shouldn't touch the skin), and backed with nylon, fleece, or PUL if you have it (to make the wetness stay in the pad). If I need a cover, I use Dappi NYLON pull-ons (not vinyl - YUCK!) These aren't as absorbant as a cloth dipe, and will leak if you try to use it as one - but they are GREAT for training pants! Plus, when he's done PTing, I can rip the stitches attatching the pad to the undies and have normal undies.

Regular cloth underpant, with a prefold simply folded inside (like a liner), and a whisper pant on top to prevent leakage. Pants or whatever on top. Simple to pull down in a hurry.

I must share, though, that my good prefolds were very bully if folded into quarters, but the cheapo Gerber ones worked well for this.

But at home, we usually allowed bare buns in the beginning - MUCH faster! (Longer shirt or something can be helpful if needed.)