Menu

So what do you do when you think someone will do more harm than good?

We have a ministry primarily to elderly at an assisted living apartment. One of the ladies who is currently in a rehab center is going to be transferred into a hospice facility tomorrow. When I visited her today she was barely conscious and was laboring to breathe. I only stayed a minute so as not to tax her. The only reason I was there was to drop off something she had asked me to drop off.

On Sunday we had visited this lady as a family. She has had a stroke and so had some difficulty communicating but was doing ok. We sang for her as a family and then left as soon as she appeared to be tiring.

Another lady at the apartments has learned of our visit and singing. She's decided that she should get a group together to sing to the one going into the hospice before she departs so as to comfort her. My feeling is that while her intentions are well meaning, it isn't really wise. Moving to the hospice facility is going to be physically and emotionally taxing. Having a bunch of people there singing will (in my opinion) be even more taxing. Also, in our experience, this second woman, while she wants to do good doesn't read others/situations very well and will often push her own agenda regardless of how it is being received.

I tried to gently dissuade the "do gooder" and so has my husband. But even though my dh is the pastor of our small group there, neither of us can forbid this lady from her plans to sing for the ill woman. So what do you do? Do you just pray that something will side-track her and she won't be able to get a group together to go to the rehab center? Do I hope that my take on the wisdom of this venture is wrong and that everything will work out? I doubt there would be anything more definitive I could do to stop her if she is determined to follow through on her plan. Do I just try to forget about it?

I would just pray that the Lord will work out this situation for the best. Pray that this woman has a smooth transition into hospice, and that if a group comes to minister to her, that it will be a blessing and comfort to her. Be sure that your heart is right in relation to this woman that you described here, and that you don't allow your opinion of the right thing to do to be the important thing. Maybe the Lord will use this woman in a way you never expected.

I'm sure some patients would be greatly blessed, others a bit annoyed, and many unaware that anyone was even there. I would not worry myself about this - just let this woman make her plans. The Hospice facility will probably handle it wisely and limit the visit if they don't think it's a good idea.

Thanks for your input. I tend to gravitate toward the "letting things work out" side of the spectrum but was a bit more worried just because of the gravity of the ill woman's situation. And of course my discernment of what is best may not truly be what is best!

I do agree that if things get out of control someone at the facility would step in. That makes me feel better.

I would just pray that the Lord will work out this situation for the best. Pray that this woman has a smooth transition into hospice, and that if a group comes to minister to her, that it will be a blessing and comfort to her. Be sure that your heart is right in relation to this woman that you described here, and that you don't allow your opinion of the right thing to do to be the important thing. Maybe the Lord will use this woman in a way you never expected.

:iagree: