Menu

University level calculus-would you put your child in a course?

My ds is 15 and in tenth grade. He loves math and wants to take calculus at a nearby engineering school next year. We get half tuition because dh is a university employee. He is allowed one two semester course as a visiting student.

He has completed algebra 2 and we are doubling up now on trigonometry and precalculus (Lial's text for all three). Even if he finished pre-calculus by August, which is somewhat doubtful, I have reservations about him taking calculus with a bunch of older kids who are apt to be very good at math and very bright and very motivated. Yikes!

He's no slouch at math either-he's always scored in very high percentiles on any standardized test.

Can anyone share their experience with any similar situation? The way I see it, he can always drop a class, but then where are we? It would be his junior year and this is my last year teaching him math. It would be too late for him to enter a CC calculus class. Advice please!

My older two kids did calculus 1 & calculus 2 at the local 4-year college. It was a very positive experience for both of them. Like you, I was worried that they would get lost, that the class would pass them by, and that they would miss details -- like the importance of going to review sections or something. They did really well despite my concerns!

I would probably let him take the class.

If you are really concerned, could you spend first semester of next year doing massive review of his math and then have him take calc 1 during the spring semester? (If it's an engineering school, the number of students taking calculus 1 during the spring semester is probably miniscule, but I would be really surprised if they didn't offer it.)

My oldest took Calc 1 during the summer before his senior year. He ended up being one of the best students. He did get quite a lesson in life by listening to the various life stories of his classmates (Iraq veteran, returning adult students, etc.). He took it all in stride and probably gained some discernment as well as a math education :-)

Good experience all around.

He has completed algebra 2 and we are doubling up now on trigonometry and precalculus (Lial's text for all three).

I'm a bit confused--Lial's Pre-Calc is the exact same thing as the Trigonometry text and the College Algebra texts combined... Are you working the 'College Algebra' part out of one text and the Trig out of another?--just curious.

If he scores well in the Pre-Calc text he should be ready for college Calc--just as ready as the other students...

With the University Calc class the thing I would try to make sure of is class size. Make sure it is NOT in a lecture hall with 200 students! Also try to get a professor instead of a TA teaching the class... sometimes late afternoon or evening classes are smaller in size...

We just started the Pre-Calculus book and I did plan to skip the trig sections. Will there be anything new in the remainder of it? My impression was it went into more depth than the Intermediate Algebra.

Yes, I agree that class size is a big issue. Thank you for the suggestions about timing of the class! I will definitely look into it.

Our small high school didn't offer calculus so we went over to the local univ. to take it. I took both semesters and did well. They had a great set-up--classes were large, but there was excellent access to lots of ta help in the calculus lab. You took the tests when you were ready, they were graded in front of you and you could ask questions if you didn't understand something. You could take the same exam again--but you had to keep your last grade--not the best grade. Because I don't learn math well by listening to lectures, I really liked the set-up--I worked through the assignments on my own and sought help when I needed it.

Not everyone in the calculus will be very bright and very motivated! Some will be struggling through the class because it's required for their major.

There are exceptions, but most of the kids who are bright, motivated and good at math have already taken calculus before going to engineering school. There are also a fair number who declare a major in engineering simply because it looks like they make good money, but aren't that interested in the actual coursework. He shouldn't really worry about being drowned intellectually in the class, as long as his basics are sound.

I would *not* necessarily recommend a professor instead of a TA. I'd ask around, and find out what you can about the instructors. My dd's experience has been that a full, tenored prof was her WORST Calculus experience. She basically had to teach herself; a skill she's mastered, being homeschooled, but still frustrating.

But yes, if he tests ready for Calculus, a great way to do that would be to take it at the university. You might consider taking PreCalc/Calc I at a school where they use the same text for both. (Larson, et al have a text that is commonly used for both courses.)

Of course, taking it at the CC is not a bad alternative. My dd actually took College Algebra, Statistics, PreCalc and Calc I at the CC, and found them to be superior in rigor and instruction than her university Calc II and Calc III. She was happy she'd gotten the great foundation at the CC.

It's held up well for her; Advanced Calculus is her "easiest" course so far! GRIN.

I would *not* necessarily recommend a professor instead of a TA. I'd ask around, and find out what you can about the instructors.

:iagree: It all depends on the person. TA's are usually working on graduate level math (mostly working towards doctorate degrees), and probably understand math very well. They can sometimes relate to a student's experience better considering they are students themselves.

As to the OP's question, from the way you describe your son, I would recommend a university Calculus course.

Good Luck :)