Menu

Electric Company videos on Youtube; great for any kids learning phonics

I was remembering the old "PUNC-TU-A-TION!" song the other day, and decided to look it up to see if it was online. It is. There are lots of other educational old Electric Company sketches online. My kids have loved these:

Tom Lehrer's Silent E song

Tom Lehrer's -ly song

N-apostrophe-T

T-I-O-N

Enjoy!

Edited to add: I know too much screen time isn't good for littles, and Electric Company was a fast-paced show, and so on. It was good for me as a kid; I was a very early reader because of the phonics I learned on the show. Watch responsibly. ;)

Edited by Sara R

That's the one. Were you more of a Mr. Rogers kid? Electric Company must have spoiled me from enjoying the slower paced shows, lol.

LOL, yes! I loved Mr. Rogers. I remember my heart racing at the beginning of Electric Company, and jumping off the couch to turn it off.

Hmm. Because of peer pressure from this board, I tried to watch Lost recently. I made it through only the first 4 1/2 minutes of the pilot before I screamed and had to turn off the computer. I mean, not just stop the show, turn the whole thing off! I was completely rattled. Death, dismemberment, blood, the screaming... it was just like the Electric Company effect, but ramped up a few notches, grown-up style. Some things never change, I guess. Once a wimp, always a wimp.

I'll check out those links though, and try to watch responsibly. If I can make it through the whole clip! ;)

Wow, are we on the same wavelength or WHAt? Just yesterday, we were learning about using TION, and I kept singing that in my head. So I went to youtube and let my kids watch the clip....about 5 times.

I also showed them the gorilla that used to really scare me for some reason.

And I loved the ones where Morgan Freeman was a DJ and he'd hold up the album, and the album would turn into a screen with the kids singing.

I actually didn't like Electric Company, but for some reason I watched it. I guess it had something to do with having only 4 channels for my entire childhood.

We get The Electric Company from Netflix. The kids love it.

Us, too. And my parents credit Sesame Street and the Electric Company for my ability to read before starting school. Apparently, that is not as uncommon as one would think. :D

(Sadly, though, every time they see a skinny dude with an afro, an argument ensues as to whether it was Morgan Freeman. Only the 8 y.o. has seen him recently - for my 4 y.o.s, he is perpetually in his 30s.)

• 4 weeks later...
Us, too. And my parents credit Sesame Street and the Electric Company for my ability to read before starting school. Apparently, that is not as uncommon as one would think. :DQUOTE]

Same here.

Although now Sesame Street is sooooo dumbed down it might actually make your kid stupid or whine like Elmo.