Menu

Logic stage chemistry fun

Sunkirst

Just had to post about our weekly chemistry class. My son really wanted to "do experiments," this year, so I'm having all of his friends over every Tuesday afternoon to do chemistry. Rebecca Rupp (who wrote The Complete Home Learning Source Book among others) recommended a book called Chemically Active by Vicki Cobb as a good chemistry resource for logic aged kids, and we are having so much fun with it. The book is not just a bunch of experiments, like so many others. Instead, it consists of a series of "kitchen table" type experiments strung together in a way to build your understanding of most of the basics of chemistry. The experiments are better than average, and don't require too many oddball items (I was able to cover most of it on a single trip to Target for about $35). The book also has explanations for what's happening that are detailed enough for me to feel confident in answering most of the questions that I'm getting from this group of 10 - 13 yos (I took a 100 level chem. lab in college, but that was 20 years ago).

Anyhow, today we discussed the states of matter (with 8 boys turning into a mosh pit in my kitchen when I had them become gas molecules :D), physical and chemical changes (complete with baking soda/vinegar bottle rockets in the backyard), and then proceeded with all sorts of experiments illuminating what fire consumes and what it produces. We had a blast (although my kitchen is trashed!) Cobb seems to have a knack for making experiments that are interesting for this age group, and soundly linking them to the principle which she describes.

Chemically Active is out of print, but it's available super cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Chemically-Active-Experiments-You-Home/dp/0064461017/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234305364&sr=8-1

One caveat; I have run through many of the experiments first, just to make sure they still work (the book was published in 1985 - and I think that some of the industrial formulas for common products have changed since then). The one which did not work (thus far) was a demonstration of the heat of crystallization that required "Hypo" from the camera store - big dud, especially after a special trip. We're not through with the book yet, and if anyone else ends up trying it, feel free to PM me to see if I've tried the experiment already.

• 1 year later...

This thread is about 1.5 years old, but I wanted to bump it up because I found it while searching for info. on Vicki Cobb's book. I have this book out of the library right now, and am going to buy it and use it for ds12's chemistry year this year. I really like the way this book is written, esp. for this age group.

And here are Sunkirst's notes on how the group/experiments worked out. Very detailed and helpful information! Thank you, Kirsten!

Edited by Colleen in NS

A couple of other amazingly fun things that are related to chemistry: GEMS teacher's guides on dry ice, bubble-ology, and slime. If you don't mind putting together your own materials from their list, these are wonderful activities way above the norm for middle-school science. The OP's chemistry class reminded me that dd and I used these three for a series of science parties at our house that turned out wonderfully.

http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/GEMS

Thank you very much for the book recommendation! I would not have seen this without a new bump to bring it up for me to find. I have another of Vicki Cobb's books, Science Experiments You Can Eat, which I found at a thrift store last year. I will look for this title and add it into my list of wants.

Thank you Kristen and Colleen!

A couple of other amazingly fun things that are related to chemistry: GEMS teacher's guides on dry ice, bubble-ology, and slime. If you don't mind putting together your own materials from their list, these are wonderful activities way above the norm for middle-school science. The OP's chemistry class reminded me that dd and I used these three for a series of science parties at our house that turned out wonderfully.

http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/GEMS

putting these on my radar, since it was you who alerted me to the Cobb books in the first place...

Thank you very much for the book recommendation! I would not have seen this without a new bump to bring it up for me to find. I have another of Vicki Cobb's books, Science Experiments You Can Eat, which I found at a thrift store last year. I will look for this title and add it into my list of wants.

Thank you Kristen and Colleen!

I keep seeing this book pop up in my searches...I think I'm going to check it out of the library (if we have it there) and the sequel, too....I think we'll finally be able to get excited about middle grade chemistry here, for frugal families! :D

If you have a paperback swap account, there are 4 copies of this (Chemically Active) available right now. :001_smile:

Nice! I'm going to have to investigate this book swap - I wonder how well it would work out for me, with being in Canada.

I already checked Colleen; it's only for residents of the USA. Maybe we should start our own!

Bummer, I didn't know that.

:sad: So sorry Colleen. I wasn't even thinking about you being in Canada when I posted that.

It's alright.

i just ordered a copy too!

Yay! I can't wait to get mine. We already started, with the library copy. My kids loved doing the experiment, too.