Menu

Lightbulb moments about credits - and - does anyone do a "fifth year" senior?

I was chatting with a friend last night - she reminded me that on a h.s. transcript, you don't put what grade you were in when you earned a certain credit. . . .

EUREKA!

That sounds silly, but it's made a world of difference just in how I'm thinking about my eldest dd's coursework. We'd love for her to finish her academic work next year (09-10), which she's on track to do, but as a 17 yo she really doesn't want to go off to college just yet.

SO - has anyone used a "fifth-year senior" approach? We would use her final year (10-11) for her to (hopefully) apprentice teach with a ballet studio, maybe add in some electives, work and earn some money, and take 3-5 CLEP exams.

Anyone have experience doing the same?

In the Homeschool Enrichment magazine, one of the writers (I think Kim Lundberg) did this with her kids. I can't remember what issue it was but she said that the 5th year was great!! I also have several friends who did it as well and did the transcripts by subjects instead of by year. Their kids got accepted with no questions asked.

Holly

We kind of did 5 years with our oldest. When she began high school we were in the process of a huge, cross-country move. Needless to say, it set us back a bit. But she did fine. When my dh took her to her college to apply, they looked at her ACT score, looked at her transcript and immediately, on the spot, offered her a partial scholarship and invited her to compete for more scholarship money, which she did. She ended up with 3/4 scholarship at this private school. Nobody asked for dates of high school courses and nobody asked to see a portfolio.

Edited by Anna

We kind of did 5 years with our oldest. When she began high school we were in the process of a huge, cross-country move. Needless to say, it set us back a bit. But she did fine.

That's funny, Anna -

Part of our struggle: dh lost his job back in the summer of 2007, and once he did find permanent employment in 2008, we began the "sell the house and then move" struggle. He still works out of state. We're still here.

Dd wants to go to college and live at home, but right now, we don't know where "home" will be. An extra year would help her Mom & Dad figure that out, as well. . . . . . . :confused:

Have you considered distance learning for her freshman year of college? I have a friend in CA whose dd did her first year and a half of college at Patrick Henry College (in VA), and never left California. She was planning on staying home for two years, but there was one course she needed that wasn't offered long distance. She has since gone to VA, and is finishing up her junior year there. It was a wonderful option for them. She got to stay home longer, and it was much less expensive than it would have been for her to go away as a freshman.

Incidentally, when she finally moved, she already had friends from her online courses, so the transition was quite easy for her.

Just a thought.

I was chatting with a friend last night - she reminded me that on a h.s. transcript, you don't put what grade you were in when you earned a certain credit. . . .

EUREKA!

That sounds silly, but it's made a world of difference just in how I'm thinking about my eldest dd's coursework. We'd love for her to finish her academic work next year (09-10), which she's on track to do, but as a 17 yo she really doesn't want to go off to college just yet.

SO - has anyone used a "fifth-year senior" approach? We would use her final year (10-11) for her to (hopefully) apprentice teach with a ballet studio, maybe add in some electives, work and earn some money, and take 3-5 CLEP exams.

Anyone have experience doing the same?

We did it with our oldest and it was his year to learn how to be a roommate; serve more and still take some local CC classes. He has graduated from college and is heading to DC. to work with the Homeland Security. It's the best year we spent with him, in my opinion.

Part of our struggle: dh lost his job back in the summer of 2007, and once he did find permanent employment in 2008, we began the "sell the house and then move" struggle. He still works out of state. We're still here.

Dd wants to go to college and live at home, but right now, we don't know where "home" will be. An extra year would help her Mom & Dad figure that out, as well. . . . . . . :confused:

At the time of my dh's job change in summer 2003, he had to immediately move across the country to begin his new job. Because of the slow housing market, the kids and I weren't able to join him until 10 months later in summer 2004. As it was, our house didn't sell until a few months after we joined him.

During the time of dh's move, he was supposed to be dd's high school math/science teacher because I couldn't. Well, that had to be shelved since teacher moved away.

You do what you have to do. When we were going through our "2-step" move, it threw us way off. What are you going to do? You do what you can and don't worry about the rest. It will all come together in good time. Sometimes, family issues have to come first, kwim? What's 1 year?

Our years have never matched up. I just want to kind of go "bleh" and throw up courses on a piece of paper...

asta

Ah, asta, you have such a way with words: they describe my thoughts exactly! :001_smile:

My oldest dc (ds) did community college as 11th and 12th, then transferred to a 4-yr college. Worked very well for him.

My next dc (dd) just wasn't ready.....for community college (she never did any classes there).....to leave home....to audition for scholarships.......so she did a 5th year. Basically we called her 'first' 9th grade year 'advanced 8th grade', and then switched 10th to 9th, 11th to 10th, etc. Worked very well.

And, we moved her classes/credits around on her transcript to make it look good. She had finished the classes, deserved the credit and I was......"blech", throwing them up on the transcript!

It was no problem with any of the (five) colleges she applied to. They all accepted her.

I would love to homeschool for a fifth year of highschool, but DD couldn't be talked into it. I've considered using the 5th year of HS as a kind of gap year and give her HS credit for internships/travel, etc. That way, she's still officially enrolled in my homeschool and still qualifies for my health insurance.

Does anyone have/have a link to that kind of transcript?

asta

Asta,

My son is applying to college this year. I used the transcript model from HSLDA, but I just changed each part of the table where they list, "9th grade", "10th grade", .... to "English", "Mathematics", "Science", "History/Social Science", "Foreign Language", and "Electives". I did have to add a few boxes, but the format is basically the same. I listed his courses in the order he took them, but there is no mention of when each course was taken. No school we've sent this transcript to has had any issues with it.

HTH,

Brenda

Basically we called her 'first' 9th grade year 'advanced 8th grade', and then switched 10th to 9th, 11th to 10th, etc. Worked very well.

And, we moved her classes/credits around on her transcript to make it look good. She had finished the classes, deserved the credit and I was......"blech", throwing them up on the transcript!

She is 11, has a late June birthday, and by age should be in 6th grade. As far as social maturity, she's more like 7th/8th. Academically, though, she's more like 5th grade. I have been trying to figure out how her next few years might play out, and having an 8th grade, and then "advanced 8th grade" might work great for her so that she doesn't feel "behind" all the time.

Thanks for this idea.

She is 11, has a late June birthday, and by age should be in 6th grade. As far as social maturity, she's more like 7th/8th. Academically, though, she's more like 5th grade. I have been trying to figure out how her next few years might play out, and having an 8th grade, and then "advanced 8th grade" might work great for her so that she doesn't feel "behind" all the time.

Thanks for this idea.

Lana - my dd in question has a September birthday - when she was 5, she was ready to start K, so we did! It wasn't an issue until we moved to the South - where by age she fits in with the Sophomores, while by credit she fits with the Juniors.

At any rate, dd is very, VERY excited at the thought of getting her academic coursework done next year, and then spending one more year at home concentrating on ballet, or electives like Koine Greek that she's interested in but can't seem to fit in.

I'll tell you - this has been truly a Eureka week for me ;) Both dd and I feel like we have a huge weight lifted.

Thanks for this idea.

My dd that we did this with had a late June birthday as well! Both she and I are glad we went this route. She is doing wonderful in college this (her freshman) year, but I think if she had tried it a year earlier it would have been disaster.

Glad to pass along the idea. Good Luck!

Asta,

My son is applying to college this year. I used the transcript model from HSLDA, but I just changed each part of the table where they list, "9th grade", "10th grade", .... to "English", "Mathematics", "Science", "History/Social Science", "Foreign Language", and "Electives". I did have to add a few boxes, but the format is basically the same. I listed his courses in the order he took them, but there is no mention of when each course was taken. No school we've sent this transcript to has had any issues with it.

HTH,

Brenda

Ok, I just downloaded their "transcript by subject" example. It is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks so much, Brenda

asta

Lana - my dd in question has a September birthday - when she was 5, she was ready to start K, so we did! It wasn't an issue until we moved to the South - where by age she fits in with the Sophomores, while by credit she fits with the Juniors.

At any rate, dd is very, VERY excited at the thought of getting her academic coursework done next year, and then spending one more year at home concentrating on ballet, or electives like Koine Greek that she's interested in but can't seem to fit in.

I'll tell you - this has been truly a Eureka week for me ;) Both dd and I feel like we have a huge weight lifted.

Adding a 5th year at the end may be the route we go for him, too, just to give an extra year to mature and really be ready for college. I mean, who wouldn't be after another year at home with the folks? :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for starting this thread.

I think it could be a great idea for a young senior. A nice way to get an extra year of maturity in before college.

I've only known one family to do this IRL, though their reasons were sort of iffy. Their family is big into speech and debate, and they wanted an extra year for her to try to make it to Nationals.:glare:

At any rate, it hasn't seemed to affect her applying for colleges. It sounds like she's already heard positively from a couple.

You know, I am just on cloud nine over this decision. . . . . .

Our life was in just utter chaos from 2007- last fall. Dh's unemployment, not knowing if/when we were going to move, etc. etc. We missed every test date possible. Dd was thrown for a curve, with Mom not sure how to best move her along.

I guess I"m just mulling it over, but dd and I both have a new spring in our step. She can take the PSAT this fall (2009) and qualify for scholarships, plus she has another year to settle wherever we're going to move, and make some major decisions.

It has been so freeing. I can't even begin to tell you.

Sorry, this really doesn't add anything to the discussion - I just can't get over how MUCH BETTER we are all feeling about high school since this has come along :D

Ontario removed grade 13 not too long ago, but many students go ahead and graduate and then go back for more classes the following year. Often it's to fit in a few classes they couldn't get in earlier, or to bring up their grades. Sometimes it's called a "Super Senior Year" or a "Victory Lap." (Our CC system isn't the same as in the States, so that doesn't work as well as a bridge.) We have talked about having either a "gap year" for travel, volunteering and work, or a "bridge year" for taking a few university courses locally. The final choice will be up to dd.