Menu

PA Homeschoolers

Ds took both AP economics and AP English Language (with Bethany Gilmour) through PAH. Both courses were extremely well-done.

Ds learned an incredible amount in both classes.

The econ class took more time than we were expecting because the simulation games were pretty time-intensive, but ds enjoyed the games immensely and learned a LOT by playing them. The homework was quite reasonable and the feedback on essays was very helpful. The year my son took the class something around 50% of the class got a 5 on the exam, and 80-something-% of the class got a 4 or 5.

Ds also enjoyed the English Language class. He is not an English-y person, but he certainly learned a lot and did well on the AP exam.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I recommend both highly.

My son is presently taking English Language from PA HSers with Maya Inspektor. Very well organized, lots of feedback. DS is a science-guy, not a writer so the course is keeping him extremely busy. He is definitely learning allot and working through writing assignments I would never have thought to have him write on.

Glad to answer any specific questions too.

Carole

ps -- Disclaimer: I am PA HS'ers AP Statistics Instructor.

Time wise DS easily spends 2+ hrs per day on the course plus he often works for several more hours on Saturday finalizing his essay when one is due that week. There have been days when he has spent the day just on the course. It has been a difficult course for him but he wouldn't trade it. He has enjoyed the challenge, and feels he has learned tons from Mrs. Inspektor too.

When it comes to reading, DS is faster than fast with 100% comprehension and recall. He has read widely too. This skill has been a huge benefit in this class since there are several books to read. He has enjoyed the readings. Plus since he has read widely he has been able to draw upon other books to help him in his writing assignments.

When it comes to writing science lab reports he is quick and the writing comes to him easily. He has not found writing in this course to come quick or easy --- writing about the subject, since it isn't science, has not come easily to him.

Carole

At PAHS'ers it is up to the instructor to decide the youngest grade they will accept.

In my AP Stat course the youngest student I have is a 9th grader. He had already completed Alg 2 which is the course's math requirement.

The College Board does not state a minimum grade for taking the AP courses either although they might note that a particular course is usually undertaken by 11th or 12th graders. They are thinking traditional students.

Your question prompts another question though. Is there a time limit that the College Board has for holding AP test scores for a student? A student can take an AP test without taking the course. My son will be doing just that this spring when he takes the AP Lit test.

Carole

I believe that the instructor limits the AP Econ class to high school juniors and seniors.

My younger kids will each take at least one AP their sophomore year -- I wish I had done that with my older two. We are choosing the sophomore year AP's very carefullly though -- trying to choose easier ones that complement their skills and interests.

At least for my kids, doing AP's their freshman year wouldn't be advisable -- they are still learning the study skills and foundational knowledge that they need in order to do well in advanced classes.

At least for my kids, doing AP's their freshman year wouldn't be advisable -- they are still learning the study skills and foundational knowledge that they need in order to do well in advanced classes.

I have decided to wait on AP till dd is a sophmore as well. I went to the College Board website and looked at sample tests. Dd is a great writer, but the essay portions of the tests are monsters. You really have to know your material and be able to write coherently about it very quickly.

Instead of AP, we decided to take on the SAT II Biology this year. If all goes well, we'll try AP next year. I'm thinking about having her try government with PA AP. I am still undecided on whether government will be the right course for her, but I've heard it is one of the less time consuming classes. I'm following this thread with interest. Thanks everyone.

Holly

Hey Carole,

DH has always said that he would prefer dd take statistics as a senior rather than calculus. His degree is in biology. I never even thought of that math progression. I'd love your opinion.

Also, have most students already completed a intro statistics class before taking AP? Or are they taking it for the first time with you?

TIA,

Holly

AP Stat is taught from the basis that this is the students first exposure to statistics. An entry stat course isn't needed at all. We start out learning about graphing and describing data, material that most have covered at some point in other math courses.

I agree with your dh and encourage students not headed to a science related major to take statistics instead of pre-calc or calculus. Statistics is something we, and our kids, encounter constantly regardless of the degree we pursued or the one our kids will pursue. The knowledge gained in AP Stat is useful to the history major student, the journalist student, as well as the child planning to major in science. In my class I have both types of students, doing equally well.

Statistics is such a useful and practical math course. The math in it is not difficult since we can rely upon calculators, but it is also a bit of a writing course. The writing is short, no 5-paragraph essays, but a student needs to be able to communicate results or argue for a particular action, or state why something is the way it is.

Carole

AP Stat is taught from the basis that this is the students first exposure to statistics. An entry stat course isn't needed at all. We start out learning about graphing and describing data, material that most have covered at some point in other math courses.

I agree with your dh and encourage students not headed to a science related major to take statistics instead of pre-calc or calculus. Statistics is something we, and our kids, encounter constantly regardless of the degree we pursued or the one our kids will pursue. The knowledge gained in AP Stat is useful to the history major student, the journalist student, as well as the child planning to major in science. In my class I have both types of students, doing equally well.

Statistics is such a useful and practical math course. The math in it is not difficult since we can rely upon calculators, but it is also a bit of a writing course. The writing is short, no 5-paragraph essays, but a student needs to be able to communicate results or argue for a particular action, or state why something is the way it is.

Carole

Thank you so very much for the description and feedback! I'm convinced! One more question-where does this fit in the math progression?

alg I

geo

alg II

stat

trig

or

alg I

geo

alg II

trig

stat

Or do you do it simultaneously with trig as an elective-type course? I suppose there are many different roads, but what is most common and/or what do you recommend.

Thanks so very much,

Holly

You could take your pick with either of the progressions that you wrote.

My own son is taking AP Stat this year with Calculus so he's doing the simultaneous route. He's enjoying having both 'math' courses although he doesn't see stat as very much of a math course. His Algebra II included trig, and then he took pre-calc so honestly, I don't know which progression would be best to take. Would your dd like a year of easier math before returning to intense math? Could she handle the two together and then still fit in Calculus before heading off to college? Is she planning on a science field so that there is a strong reason to take calculus before college? But then I'm reminded of a hs friend's dd, planning to major in English, who took calculus as a senior with the goal of getting a 4 or 5 on the AP AB Calc test so she would not need to take math in college. Some schools have a similar attitude toward AP Stat: score a 4 or 5 on the AP Stat test and you have fulfilled your college math requirement in some majors.

Carole

.... where does this fit in the math progression?

Holly,

My senior is taking Blue Hen's AP Statistics class now.

The progression she took was Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2 at home. Then College Algebra and Trigonometry at the community college last year.

She was well prepared for the class.

As an aside, this is her fourth AP course but the first with PA Homeschoolers. She took AP US history in 10th; and she took AP Comparative Politics/Government and AP Latin in 11th.

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni

My 12th grade ds took AP US History (APUSH) last year from PA Homeschoolers and had an awesome experience with Susan Richman. Very rigorous, but well worth it.

This year he is taking AP Econ and AP Comparative Government. The Econ is excellent and the Comp Govt is very good (but not as interactive, so not as enjoyable -- still worthwhile though)

There was a question in this thread about how young to start AP. After my older ds took APUSH last year, I realized that he would have benefitted taking APs earlier, so my 9th grade ds is taking AP Human Geography this year. This AP is "billed" as one of the least rigorous APs. I would recommend starting AP classes early if you have an advanced student who is willing to put in the time. The volume and the rigor is definitely a step up. I see value in starting early so that the kids stretch themselves, and learn to tackle hard material early in high school. But I would not suggest more than one AP in 9th -- because of the time commitment required.

Just one more perspective. :) ~Brigid

There was a question in this thread about how young to start AP. After my older ds took APUSH last year, I realized that he would have benefitted taking APs earlier, so my 9th grade ds is taking AP Human Geography this year. This AP is "billed" as one of the least rigorous APs.

Brigid,

I'm considering the AP Human Geo course for ds in a couple of years. Can you tell me how much time your 9th graders is spending on the course and how much reading/writing is involved?

Thanks,

Brenda

Thanks Carole & Kareni,

I appreciate your feedback.

Carole, I had to chuckle because I find it funny to think that AP Statistics is fun, lighter math when compared with Trig.:D (Well that's how I read you message.)

DD is not a math maven, but she is very good nonetheless. I think she would probably enjoy statistics. Saving it for senior year might be good because then she'd have all her standardized testing out of the way.

Holly

Brigid,

I'm considering the AP Human Geo course for ds in a couple of years. Can you tell me how much time your 9th graders is spending on the course and how much reading/writing is involved?

Thanks,

Brenda

I think around 8 hrs/week. Not a lot of writing - mostly answering questions and defining terms. The text is not huge, but the reading level is VERY high -- so it is slow going.

Carole, I had to chuckle because I find it funny to think that AP Statistics is fun, lighter math when compared with Trig.:D (Well that's how I read you message.)

That's probably why I teach it. I do find it easier then other math although I do love trig.

This fall when we worked through the probability section of Stats my DS suddenly realized what was being asked of him on several SAT math problems(he took the SAT in 7th & 8th). The problems dealt with combinations using the notation nCr --- Just something for you to touch upon prior to those standardized tests.

Your plan sounds like a fine one!

Carole

I always tell people that math is black & white, but stats is grey. If you have a kid who does better operating in the world of "grey" than B&W, they will probably enjoy stats.

I had been terrified to take it at uni, and then was so interested in the course, I couldn't understand why everyone was having problems. I think they had the mindset that it should be B&W, like traditional math...

asta