Menu

Does anyone DISLIKE All About Spelling?

Actually we found it a tad boring. But after trying other spelling programs in between time, we went back to it with open arms. I'm guessing as far as boring goes, they all lack some excitement, but this was the least boring of the ones I tried. We'll keep it for the long haul.

With AAS you get a few words for each lesson which is good. But, in the upper levels the words are not very challenging. I have a 5th grader doing the level 4 and the spelling words are easy for him and he is not a good speller (even though we used SWR in the past). They say level 4 is appropriate for 5th, but it's probably better for 4th. Maybe others can chime in on grade level equivalents. My first grader is in level 2 and is by no means a great speller. When we finish level 4 in a month or so, we will go back to SWR but I will continue to use the AAS box and manipulatives. They are WONDERFUL! They make it much more fun than simply doing SWR and the tactile aspect has helped my children retain the concepts. So I will be combining the 2 for 6th grade. It's easy to put the words missed on a 3x5 card and put them in his AAS box.

HTH!

With AAS you get a few words for each lesson which is good. But, in the upper levels the words are not very challenging. I have a 5th grader doing the level 4 and the spelling words are easy for him and he is not a good speller (even though we used SWR in the past). They say level 4 is appropriate for 5th, but it's probably better for 4th. Maybe others can chime in on grade level equivalents. My first grader is in level 2 and is by no means a great speller. When we finish level 4 in a month or so, we will go back to SWR but I will continue to use the AAS box and manipulatives. They are WONDERFUL! They make it much more fun than simply doing SWR and the tactile aspect has helped my children retain the concepts. So I will be combining the 2 for 6th grade. It's easy to put the words missed on a 3x5 card and put them in his AAS box.

HTH!

This was part of the reason why I went with HTTS. AAS seems to move very slowly, from looking at samples and the scope and sequence. I bought the tiles and got some pointers from people who use AAS in order to implement HTTS in a better way. I think AAS is a great program, but it takes a lot to get me to spend that much money. HTTS, WRTR, SWR are all less expensive and more tweakable. But AAS is just as good as these programs (for spelling) and easier to use. I think if you have a child who does well with a less expensive, less teacher intensive program, or if you can use one of these other phonics based programs easily, then maybe AAS isn't the best choice.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

How to Teach Spelling. I have it linked in my signature. It is an Orton-Gillingham based spelling program. It looks like AAS is an Orton-Gillingham based program too... but with lots of bells and whistles. HTTS works better if you start at a later grade, for one thing. It takes a learning curve for the teacher.

I think if you have a student that finds spelling and phonics challenging that AAS is a great fit. We use it, and it is a real lifesaver with my struggling speller. I also use it with her sister who is more of a natural speller. However, I don't know as I would use it if I didn't need to have the rules and phonograms presented in this manner.

I can tell you that both girls have improved their spelling this year, and the rules are helping both of them. So, no I don't dislike it at all, but I can see how it would not be a good fit for some spellers.

Jennie

*I* LOVE AAS, but DC on the other hand don't care for it. I think they think it takes too long and yes at times it's boring. BUT 9yo placed 5th in the spelling bee that we just had (out of 15-20 kids) and I will attribute that success to AAS. It taught her to break the words down into syllables, then sound out and spell each syllable. She did really well until the word balcony. then she got confused on the letter o b/c it sounds like u and we haven't gotten to that sound spelling yet. I think AAS moves too slowly and I have a hard time deciding which words are mastered and which ones aren't, so that is my problem, BUT I think AAS teaches the rules and they can use the rules obviously in my dd's case she used them very effectively and I'm proud of her for that! BUT I promised that next year (after we finish level 3) we'll try spelling workout and if it isn't doing any good after a month or 2 then we'll go back to AAS level 4. I think levels 1-3 have gotten her over a hump and that she's a VERY good reader now so it has helped her spelling immensely!

It's teacher intensive b/c it requires that you review with the child and teach them the material in the manual. It's very scripted and very easy to just open and go, but it's not like a workbook where you just assign a few pages and then give the child a test. It's very well written, but it does require your time in that you guide the child through each lesson.