Menu

Why people think that Christians are overly sheltering, etc. (Heather in NC's polls.)

For instance, it is commonly believed that all Christians want the Bible taught in schools but the prevailing opinion on this board was NO WAY. And it is commonly held that most Christian homeschoolers shelter their children to an extremen degree then turn out naive, ignorant children who do not know truth from a whole in the ground. This post proves them all wrong. Many moms, including Christians, do not hide from their children the fact that there is such a thing as someone who is not a Christian, ya know?

(Quoted from Heather in NC)

Heather, you've had two polls about issues where the convention wisdom about homeschoolers, and especially Christian homeschoolers, turned out to appear to be wrong.

And I am one of the posters who opposed the teaching of Bible in public schools, more or less (although I thought that reading a chapter or two per day outloud without commentary would be a defensible and good thing to do), and who teaches my child about other faiths and other moral and belief structures.

But I suspect that if my DD were in a public school, I would look much more narrow and sheltering because I would probably be fighting for parental rights to opt out of things pretty often. And I don't think I'm alone (except that I think that not everyone would be a fighter--lots might just deplore and complain.)

The fact is, I do teach Bible to my DD my way. And I do choose, very intentionally and carefully, the time and place and method whereby she learns about other faiths, etc. I turned off Tele-tubbies when they showed a Hindu ceremony when she was 3 or so. I whispered in her ear to drown out some controversial subjects in sermons for a number of years. I have sought out opportunities to teach these kinds of things, but later than most public schools or, in some cases, churches would do.

So I think I'm both things--someone who would look narrow and confining as a parent of an elementary school aged child in a public school setting, and very broadly educational in homeschooling.

And I'll bet I'm not alone.

Yup. Whether I look like a right-wing or left-wing nutso kinda depends on what the ordinary, default option is.

I'd want to keep my kids out of D.A.R.E. classes if they were in public schools, not have them take standardized tests until middle school, and opt out of a whole lot of the drivel they pass off as reading material.

I know I'd be a huge pain in the tush to the administrators. :D They should probably thank their lucky stars I homeschool the lads.

When I pulled my oldest out of public school so many years ago, then told the principal we were out for good, I'm sure they were even more relieved than I was. I was so critical of everything, from security to content to teaching methods and choices, I think we all (including my poor oldest son, lol) breathed a sigh of relief.

Hey, Daisy...that Dylan Thomas poem is one of my absolute favorites. And yes, you are right...maybe diverse isn't quite the right word. I know that the homeschoolers in our area are all very similar: uber-conservative, etc. So the WTM boards, to me, are a whole 'nother world!

Ria

For instance, it is commonly believed that all Christians want the Bible taught in schools but the prevailing opinion on this board was NO WAY. And it is commonly held that most Christian homeschoolers shelter their children to an extremen degree then turn out naive, ignorant children who do not know truth from a whole in the ground. This post proves them all wrong. Many moms, including Christians, do not hide from their children the fact that there is such a thing as someone who is not a Christian, ya know?

(Quoted from Heather in NC)

Heather, you've had two polls about issues where the convention wisdom about homeschoolers, and especially Christian homeschoolers, turned out to appear to be wrong.

And I am one of the posters who opposed the teaching of Bible in public schools, more or less (although I thought that reading a chapter or two per day outloud without commentary would be a defensible and good thing to do), and who teaches my child about other faiths and other moral and belief structures.

But I suspect that if my DD were in a public school, I would look much more narrow and sheltering because I would probably be fighting for parental rights to opt out of things pretty often. And I don't think I'm alone (except that I think that not everyone would be a fighter--lots might just deplore and complain.)

The fact is, I do teach Bible to my DD my way. And I do choose, very intentionally and carefully, the time and place and method whereby she learns about other faiths, etc. I turned off Tele-tubbies when they showed a Hindu ceremony when she was 3 or so. I whispered in her ear to drown out some controversial subjects in sermons for a number of years. I have sought out opportunities to teach these kinds of things, but later than most public schools or, in some cases, churches would do.

So I think I'm both things--someone who would look narrow and confining as a parent of an elementary school aged child in a public school setting, and very broadly educational in homeschooling.

And I'll bet I'm not alone.

It's interesting because I consider myself very conservative and "shelter" my kids quite a bit but when I was forced to consider these topics for my homework assignment, I was surprised at my own reaction! Because I never went to a school that taught bible, I think I rarely had a passing thought about it. And when I did, I thought...no way... for a lot of the reasons others mentioned. And I DO teach my children about opposing views but from a biblical perspective. And I love hearing the responses to these questions on THIS board because I know I am going to get a huge variety of responses. I learn something new every time!