Menu

Should I stay with HOD or go back to MFW???? HELP ME :)

MommyInTraining

That is what I am concerned about with using ECC for all ages. Is that something I should be concerned about?

Is it not reasonable to want to have everyone doing the same history and science in the k-8th grades?

Terri, if having everyone together from K-8th is your goal, then why are you so uncertain about MFW? For what it *sounds* like you want, that really is your best option here. Why wouldn't ECC accomplish that?

Me thinks you're analyzing this too hard. ;)

WP All American is recommended for all ages!! It is American Crossing and American Story combined. In addition, many users have gone with American Story with a ten year old and have been happy.

Most of WP's programs (Children Around the World, Sea and Sky) have a young learner's guide and an older learner's guide. The older children have some additional independent work or reading and the younger get some additional picture books. Then we already discussed using Hideaways in History along with the World History programs. It is designed for K-2, but Story of the World is used as the spine, so I have no problem using it with a 5th grader. Have you looked at the samples?

And... yes My Father's World was designed for combining a wide age range. Maybe you could join a MFW yahoo group for more direction on how to use MFW without the library and for a wide range of ages.

Is it not reasonable to want to have everyone doing the same history and science in the k-8th grades?

It depends on your family. For me, it's more work to try and mesh my two girls than to juggle two curriculum. With 3 years in between them, I'm still teaching two different things because their levels are so different. That's why it's easier for me to teach two different subjects. I do it for Math and Language Arts, it's not much different for History and Science. For someone like you (with multiple children), I could easily see you combining your kids into two or more groups, but I would think it would be hard to combine ALL of them in one curriculum. Only you know your kids, and only you know whether this will work or not.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Blessings!

Dorinda

PS Right now we're using FIAR for Kindergarten and Sonlight Core 2/Apologia Botany for 3rd grade.

Next year We'll use Sonlight Core 3/Apologia Zoology 1 for 4th grade and Beyond Little Hands to Heaven for 1st. I intend to "combine" my girls for science starting in 2nd and 5th using Apologia Zoology 3 (land animals), but I won't ever combine them in History.

I went back and looked at the ages again. You only have two that are truly "school age" The 5 year old (who will be in 1st, right?) could easily do LA/Math and piggyback on the 7 year old. That way, you could do two programs if you felt like you couldn't combine them instead of 3. I wouldn't worry about the little ones for a couple of years yet. That's why I've used FIAR for my youngest. It was quick, easy, no prep and she got her own "school time" Plus, your 10 year old could probably start doing some independent work. I've started assigning work to my dd that is "independent" and it has helped immensely! She will be expected to get most of her work done on her own next year. Could that work for you? Assign a list of work to get done while you work with the 7 and 5 year old. Then, have a set time for the 7 and 5 year old to go play (or something) while you work with the 10 year old.

Just some after thoughts - I'm like that. I post and have some more thoughts:D

Hope I haven't muddied it further!

Dorinda

So, what would you suggest for a mommy that has 5 children ages 10, 7, 5, 3, 1 and possibly a pregnancy coming up that will most likely include horrible nausea that makes her not want to do anything? The 10 year old is the only one reading independently.

Looking forward to hearing suggestions.

Thanks so much!

Terri in WA

Ummm... I know you're probably going to throw something at me, but I'll give my honest answer to your question. This in light of all the American History you've taught... I'd do Sonlight Core 1/2. A one year overview of World History. There you go. You'll love it. My 6 year old is doing Core 2 with us now and he understands everything just fine. They have loved sharing this core and of course they do LA and math at their own levels. If you have horrible nausea, you lay on the couch, put a blanket on the floor for the children and read. Read and discuss. You don't have to use all of SL, but I think you would enjoy a core. It is a very relaxing and natural way to teach and learn.

http://www.sonlight.com/1-2.html

Don't let the above link scare you off. The picture there is of everything but you may not need everything. You could get the core and add readers for your 10 year old. My 9 yo is using the Grade 3 - 5 readers. He has really enjoyed them. You may not need readers for your 7 yo. if he is already using something else for reading practice.

Edited by Donna T.

Ummm... I know you're probably going to throw something at me, but I'll give my honest answer to your question. This in light of all the American History you've taught... I'd do Sonlight Core 1/2. A one year overview of World History. There you go. You'll love it..

:lol: Well, what's a little more research!

Actually, I never look at Sonlight anymore because I fit their criteria of someone who wouldn't want to use Sonlight. I don't agree with what they believe you should expose children to (Wizard of Oz, etc.). That is why I am having trouble considering WP and why I do lean toward HOD and MFW. However, since I am considering WP and just editing, maybe I should look at Sonlight for the cores you mentioned.

Off I go.....

If you have horrible nausea, you lay on the couch, put a blanket on the floor for the children and read. Read and discuss. .

OK, I looked :). SO, if you think this would be a good fit for us, because I would just need to read and discuss, then why would I need to have a guide from SL? I don't know a whole lot about SL except that it is a lot of reading. That is sort of what I wanted to do this year for history. Read living history books. But, as I started to do that, I felt like it was boring. Now, I could probably credit that mainly to the book I was reading. So, if I were to choose more time tested books, like SL offers, then could this really work for us?

When I felt like that wasn't going well I tried MOH. We got through one lesson of that :001_huh:. The 5 year old didn't want to listen in and it was probably over the 7 year old's head. We did one of the activities to go with the reading and that was it. It now sits so pretty on the shelf:D. Then I went with HOD and starting doing Little Hearts with my 5 and 7 year old, Little Hands with my 3 yo and 5 yo, and Bigger Hearts with my 10 yo. I had it all nicely scheduled in little blocks as to what we should be doing when. Of course, I ran around trying to fit us into those little blocks. I don't like trying to do one science and history with my 5 and 7 year old and another science and history with my 10 year old. Now, if they were the only 3 then maybe that would be fine. But I also have a 3 year old and 1 year old who need attention. Plus, there is the possibility of an upcoming pregnancy with debilitating nausea. I have to plan for that because if it hits in 6 months I have to be prepared for it. I also having absolutely NO help except for my dh. No family even close and no good friends to help out.

So, I guess my question about SL is, why would I need a guide to read books? Couldn't I just pick books off of the SL 1-2 list and read those?

I am asking because I have never really study their guides in depth and am not sure how they would be beneficial.

Thanks for any insight....

Hi Terri

Back to your question about Beyond, it is from 1565 to somewhere in the 1800's...and it is American history. But it's low key. If you are sick of American history then you shouldn't do it. I agree with another person though, you shouldn't worry about doing the youngest kids in school,just maybe have coloring books and blocks during school time. One way you could use their program (was it Little Hands?) is to do something like that on weekends or during summer breaks if you take one (but I would personally never get it done).

If you think you could live with American history again, then take a look at it. Look at the recommended books. I personally think HOD requires less reading than any other program out there, but I haven't tried all of the suggestions. I personally didn't start off well with sonlight because some of their stories were alot more intense then what I want to expose my kids to. Who knows though, I might discover the same about HOD down the road. I think WP is alot like sonlight, but maybe more hands on opportunities. I've looked at the program and wanted it, but I thought it was too intensive for me at this time, plus it costs alot.

One think I never thought would happen to me occured this year when I purchased an Abeka history text for my oldest. He actually really likes it and he had never had anything like it. I decided my history and science had been so hit and miss for so long that I'd better get my oldest going consistently on something. I also picked up some science workbook. Anyway, you could consider something like that for your oldest...for now (yeah, I can't even believe I'm saying it). The Abeka I picked out came really recommended on the homeschool reviews website. I wouldn't do just any of them. Then I found HOD, but because I chose a younger geared program I'm keeping up with the science and history workbooks...on some days because he's learning from Beyond.

Again, my personal reason for going with HOD was to be able to get science and history done in a low key way, the integration of subjects and poetry/Bible were also perks. Plus I liked it's book packages and prices. You could always try Preparing while the younger crowd just listens in on the stories, or you could even have your oldest do the read aloud herself while you just did the history reading.

If you could give more info...like are you a crafty mom who loves projects, or are you barely scraping by now,etc. I see some mom's descriptions and I don't know how they pull it off...but it might be that they are just naturally organized, that they don't have physical issues, etc. I personally am not as healthy weight wise as I should, my heal spurs give me grief alot, I have muscle pain occasionally (fibromyalgia) and I try to cook more whole foods and make my own wheat bread (and I'm not a natural organizer, but I'm getting better). And that's not even considering how your kids are wired, I've seen some pretty independent 7 yr olds but mine certainly isn't, and she can't read up to snuff yet either...which takes sit down time for mom. We all have our limitations, and when I look at all that you have going on I'm thinking you need to keep it simple...but I'm not you and you might be one of those high energy people who could pull alot off.

Sorry I took so long posting. Honestly, I lost two posts because the board was so busy that once I typed it, all was lost.

Look forward to hearing how you are doing.

Alison in KY

Umm, well on the site it says "we as a company do not allow the resale of many WP exclusives."

That does really sound like a request, but I understand what you are saying if it doesn't meet up with copyright laws.

Just to add: The request was not in effect until 2007, so older programs are sold in their entirety without any problem.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Just to add: The request was not in effect until 2007, so older programs are sold in their entirety without any problem.

Hi Carmen!

Wasn't there a discussion last year on the boards about the legality of their "request." I'm not very good at finding old threads, but basically WP can only "request" you don't resell their exclusives. They can't take legal action because of the laws that state once you buy it, it's yours to do with as you wish. I believe someone used Good Will as an example. It really turns the reselling of WP materials into a moral issue, not a legal issue.

HTH Mommy in Training!

Dorinda

So, do you have any suggestions for science and history that would add some interest and fun to our day, but not overwhelm this busy momma :001_smile:?

History... Hideaways in History but spread it out for 3 years. or Five in a Row, and a worktext (like curriculumservices.com, Abeka, etc.) for the 10 year old.

My #1 science pick to fit that description... Sonlight Discover and Do DVD, corresponding book, and all of the materials needed in their consumable and non-consumable kits.

You've mentioned several different curriculums that you've attempted to use over the past few years... none of which lasted very long, is that correct? May I suggest that no matter which curriculum you end up having spread out on your dining room table, it takes TIME to see fruit. No curriculum is going to "work" if you don't give it a good amount of time of *consistently* doing it (several months to a year), and working with each of the children's strengths and weaknesses, as well your own, while "working" that package of books. Do you have a schedule? Or at least some sort of routine? Do you know what your goals are for your children? Is your dh involved? What is your underlying homeschool *philosophy*? Why are you doing it? Do you get a decent amount of sleep at night? Do you take naps as needed? What are your daily priorities? What things do you consider "gravy" (if we get to them, great, if not, that's okay too). How is your diet? Are you eating and drinking well... healthy and balanced meals, enough or too many calories... getting exercise?

The answers to all of these questions and more might be something you need to consider more thoroughly before jumping into yet another curriculum, kwim? Otherwise, I'm afraid you may end up disappointed again... and still searching, ya know? :rolleyes: Have you gone over the choices with your dh? Have you prayed about them? What does dh think?

I just have to add that IMO most History programs are overkill and I see nothing wrong with taking two years to get through them.

:iagree:

We've taken nearly two years to complete SOTW 1 ala Biblioplan and I don't regret it at all. They enjoyed it and I wasn't stressed to the max. We had a family crisis and a sweet baby boy turned toddler through it all. With all your littles, I'd take it slowly and not stress.

Now, we're all excited to start the Middle Ages... I just don't know what will use yet!:tongue_smilie: I only wish HOD was a year ahead of where they are now.

Terri, where are you?

Alison in KY

Hi :001_smile:!

Sorry, I didn't realize there were more posts added on here, until, of course, I was doing a searching of MFW and WP on the boards :lol:!

I still don't know what to do, but I guess that is just where I am right now.

Thank you all for taking the time to talk with me!