Menu

Teaching cursive early to a lefty

myfatherslily

I really like the idea of teaching my dd cursive early. I love cursive. I use it all the time:) My dd has good fine motor skills and I think she'd do okay. If she was right-handed, like me, I wouldn't even hesitate. BUT I feel totally confused about teaching cursive to a lefty. How should she hold her hand? Will she make the strokes the same directions? It seems like every left-handed person I know holds the pen a different way. Is there a cursive program that would work well for teaching a left handed 5 year old? I'm not opposed to just using pen and paper, rather than a book, but I would really like some guidance due to using different hands:)

She knows how to print capital letters and has started learning lowercase. Should I continue with that until she can write them all, but not wait so long that she's completely used to always printing?

Someone in this thread

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79591

mentioned that fountain pens with quick drying ink are good. What pens specifically would I look for? I used to have a fountain pen... it was sooo fun to use:) Actually, I might still have it. I'll have to check.

All other tips would be appreciated!!!

I can tell you that I too felt totally confused about teaching cursive to a lefty... although I am a lefty. LOL!

I can also tell you that we are so very blessed to be using Spell to Write and Read as our language arts program because Cursive First just seemed the logical choice for teaching cursive writing, since it goes right along with SWR. I did look at other cursive writing programs, but came back to CF without any doubts. It addresses issues that lefty's often have plus it is cost efficient, reproducible, easy to teach and easy to learn. Not only have I used (using) it to teach cursive writing to my ds4, but I have relearned cursive myself.

CF has worked great for us! :thumbup:

I've been looking at Handwriting Without Tears and was just about settled on it, until I looked at the cursive books. The print ones look fine, but the cursive is... well, not my style:) I thought about starting there with print, then ditching it later in favor of something more traditional-looking... but I am not sure.

I wish Cursive First had some sample pages on their site! They only show how they write each letter, but I want to see more than that! Looks alot like my own handwriting though... except that I don't try to be neat anymore... lol:)

Thanks for the suggestions!

When you said "mirror image" that reminded me....when my left-handed son was trying to learn how to tie his shoes, it seemed like he was never going to get it from his right-handed mom. A friend told me to sit across from him (not beside him) and show him how to tie his shoe that way so I gave the "mirror image" a shot and after one time (!) he got it and asked me why I didn't show him the "easy" the first time! HA! So from now on I do things like that across from him - including pen holding, etc - he's 15 now and rights clearly, ledgibly, holds his pen properly...and ,oh yes, can tie his shoes!

Myra