Menu

Gastritis treatments.

Medical question here. My DH regularly has a stomach bug that knocks him out for the weekend, usually after a dinner out someplace. Yes, we eat out a fair amount and he is usually fine, but ever now and then...

He was hospitalized a year or so ago and was diagnosed with the Hpylori germ. COnflicting answers from different Doctors but the internist felt it wasn't necessary to treat at that time.

I am now wondering if the bug is causing him ongoing issues.

Gastritis DX seems to fit him...any thoughts on treating this naturally?

My dd was having some stomach trouble a few years ago and one of the things our pediatrician tested her for was H.pylori. The doctor told me that if she had it, she would need to take a course of antibiotics. (She didn't have it, though.) My understanding is that H.pylori causes stomach ulcers so I'd check back with the doctor and find out why your dh wasn't treated with antibiotics.

Medical question here. My DH regularly has a stomach bug that knocks him out for the weekend, usually after a dinner out someplace. Yes, we eat out a fair amount and he is usually fine, but ever now and then...

He was hospitalized a year or so ago and was diagnosed with the Hpylori germ. COnflicting answers from different Doctors but the internist felt it wasn't necessary to treat at that time.

I am now wondering if the bug is causing him ongoing issues.

Gastritis DX seems to fit him...any thoughts on treating this naturally?

Just a word of caution:

Both my mom and brother were diagnosed with H.Pylori several years ago. Their symptoms progressed and ultimately each of them ended up in the hospital being treated for diverticulitis. In my bro's case it required IV antibiotics; in my mom's, she had a rupture and needed extensive surgery.

Also, my cousin was having similar symptoms (vomiting and abdominal discomfort) for a few months and - you guessed it - he ended up with a diverticulitis diagnosis as well.

Please keep that in mind. Over the past year alone I know of at least four people who didn't know they had diverticulitis and ended up in the OR for emergency surgery because of it.

DH was not treated with Antibiotics at the same because not everyone who has Hpylori has active symptoms. Same as in Gall stones..just because you have it, doesn't mean you need to be treated.

However! He so very often has this stomach issues (We always say he inherited his father's stomach) that I have reintroduced the idea to DH about getting this checked again.

He is so anti drugs that he would rather be sick than take something. He finally did ask me to research this a bit more and see what I can find out.

Taking 2 antibiotics is going to wreak havoc on his immune system and not something we want to do casually. Yes, I know we can counter with ProBiotics.....and we woudl if we get to that point.

any more thoughts??

However! He so very often has this stomach issues (We always say he inherited his father's stomach) that I have reintroduced the idea to DH about getting this checked again.

He is so anti drugs that he would rather be sick than take something. He finally did ask me to research this a bit more and see what I can find out.

any more thoughts??

Since he's having recurring GI issues maybe it's time to see a gastroenterologist.

Does it only happen when he eats out? He may be allergic to key ingredients in restraurant food like msg or something, or maybe he has trouble with all of the grease that usually comes from restaurant food? Maybe he is very sensitive to mold/bacteria? I know they say that restaurants are supposed to clean stuff and cook things to certain temps, but that is not always the case.

I agree with the poster that said a trip to the gastro is a good idea though just to be sure. There may be some natural things to take care of it, but he would need to know what the problem is first.

I wonder if it's something completely different - food sensitivities, for example. Could it be MSG, soy, or some other ingredient that he doesn't usually get at home? Perhaps even just a larger quantity in restaurant food?

I second the suggestion to try digestive enzymes. There are many broad-spectrum, vegetable-based enzymes that might help. If it can be narrowed down to a particular type of food, that can help in choosing the best one. Your nearest health food store will have them.

Also, probiotics can help improve the digestive tract to reduce problems. Good ones will have multiple strains of good bacteria. Again, the health food store will have them.

You might want to try eliminating different allergenic foods like dairy, corn and wheat. Has he been tested for celiac sprue?

Some of these foods can cause gastritis. For myself, it is dairy. (dairy products are acidic and can cause more acidity in the body).

I hope he feels better soon!