Menu

New here

Hi-

I don't remember exactly how I stumbled across the WTM board (although now that I think about it, I think it went SOTW book -> WTM book -> WTM site -> WTM board.) At any rate, I've been reading posts for a couple of weeks now and thought I should say hello. :)

I'm Kathy, I have two kids who are currently in PS. DD is almost 9, in 3rd grade, and just started in a gifted program our district offers. It's a better fit for her than her regular 2nd grade class was (great teacher, but her class was- for DD- too big, too loud, and too active) but she's struggling to keep up with written work. DS is 6 1/2, in 1st, and seems to have learned that "learning" means, "sit still in your chair and be quiet." Needless to say, he thinks he doesn't want to "learn" anymore. ;)

Which brings me to the fence upon which I now sit. I like the idea of HS, and I've thought about it long enough, and I've read enough now, that I have a pretty clear idea where I'd start. I can see how I could let both of them work up to their own level where they can, do things orally at a "higher" level and drop back to more basic writing instruction. We'd still have a lot going on, and it would (of course) involve a lot of work, but we wouldn't have the stress of homework (actually unfinished written schoolwork.)

At the same time, I hesitate to pull them out. I know it's not "final" but it does feel like it. For DD, if I pull her out of the GT program, she wouldn't be able to re-join at the drop of a hat if we decided HS wasn't working for us, so she'd have to go back to our neighborhood school. I had always envisioned them going through our local school with all our neighbors, and fitting in and being happy. There are just the little things- like a full set of yearbooks all from the same school, or the album I've started that has a spot for each year's class picture. And then there's the acknowledgement that, "this isn't working"- I know it's progress to be able to recognize that and correct it, but it still feels like a "giving up."

We haven't made any definite decisions, and we're doing all we can to get the PS situation to the best it can be, but I like being prepared with a backup plan for next year.

I am planning to attend the WTM conference, as I'm in the area, and I'm starting to look more seriously at math and LA curricula, so I'll be reading and asking a lot of questions on the K-8 board, I think, as well as the accelerated and special needs boards.

-Kathy

Edited by kah

Firstly, welcome!

Secondly, I know how you feel regarding your vision of what the school years would be like. It was difficult for me to give up the idea that my kids wouldn't be graduating from the parish school from which my brother & I graduated. Those feelings faded as the years went by. :)

Thirdly, have fun with the curric research. I always loved that in the beginning!

Hi Kathy! Welcome :001_smile:.

It's hard to let go of dreams and how we thought things would be. Even though I've always planned to homeschool, there are a few things that I'm a bit sad about. However, in our case, we've gained so much by homeschooling and that helps. If you decide to homeschool, try and focus on what you are gaining instead of what you are losing. You'd be losing the set of yearbooks, but your ds just might gain a love of learning :001_smile:, KWIM?

This is a great place to learn about homeschooling (and anything else you might have questions about). Have fun at the conference!

Welcome to the boards. This is our first year of homeschooling. My dd is in 5th grade and my ds is 8 and in 3rd. They went to ps last year and it wasn't working for my dd. She was recently diagnosed with a learning disability that the ps didn't address at all even though I asked them to.

I love having them home. I am able to do extra things with my dd in the hopes of getting her reading up to grade level in the next year. I can choose the curriculum and the pace.

My ds was doing fine in ps, but I still thought I could do better. He has started to read for the fun of it and I'm so happy about that :001_smile:

Our lives are much different, but we are closer as a family. My children actually like playing together during their breaks. We have joined a local homeschool support group, so the kids have a chance to play with other homeschoolers.

My kids aren't nearly as stressed out either. We start about 9am and are finished by 3pm. There is no homework, so they can play until its time for dinner and other evening activities; ie. scouts, church, basketball, BSF.

Have fun doing the research and good luck with whatever decision you make.

At the same time, I hesitate to pull them out. I know it's not "final" but it does feel like it. For DD, if I pull her out of the GT program, she wouldn't be able to re-join at the drop of a hat if we decided HS wasn't working for us, so she'd have to go back to our neighborhood school. I had always envisioned them going through our local school with all our neighbors, and fitting in and being happy. There are just the little things- like a full set of yearbooks all from the same school, or the album I've started that has a spot for each year's class picture. And then there's the acknowledgement that, "this isn't working"- I know it's progress to be able to recognize that and correct it, but it still feels like a "giving up."

To address some of the little and not so little things :)----

Our homeschool support group has a yearbook and we could easily do a "class picture" of all the kids together (or most of them at least, which is the best you get in or out of public school).:) The big thing is that it's a picture with your kids and their friends in it, right?:) She can still play with the neighbors, go to Scouts, play on local soccer team, etc with them.

Did you feel like it was giving up to move your daughter from the regular class to the gifted class even if it meant that she would be with different kids? Would it be giving up if your school district changed next year and she was assigned to a different school

Are the kids actually "fitting in and being happy"?

You might consider finding out about the local support groups in your area and visiting them (with or without your kids) to see the sorts of community that are available to you. I know our group has some evening "mom only" times and we've had moms come to our park day while their kids were in school, just to check us out. They might bring their kids during a school break to meet some of the other kids.

Welcome and good luck, whichever decision you make. I see homeschooling not as inherently better or worse than other forms of schooling, simply different.:)