Menu

Online Classes for High School- where can I find them?

On the heels of my other post, where can I find online classes with teacher support for high school? I'd like my son to take a foreign language class online with a tutor's or teacher's support.

Oak Meadow I've ruled out, since their online classes involve no teacher support. Veritas Press I'm looking into. I can't tell if K12 Direct has classes for purchase for high schoolers and will call them Monday. Keystone High School I couldn't tell if their online classes have teacher support and will call them also. Memoria Press doesn't offer Spanish.

Any other ideas?

TIA!

I cannot say how thrilled I am with this

http://germanonline.okstate.edu/

ds - who does not get excited lately about anything instructional - says he "loves" it.

Shocker! He thought it was quite funny the one class we're outsourcing he loves. Wait, that's not funny :glare:

Kidding - ahh - adolescents!

Anyhow, it was a bit pricey, but I have nothing to do but pay for it. Gotta love that.

ds - who does not get excited lately about anything instructional - says he "loves" it.

Shocker! He thought it was quite funny the one class we're outsourcing he loves. Wait, that's not funny :glare:

Kidding - ahh - adolescents!

Anyhow, it was a bit pricey, but I have nothing to do but pay for it. Gotta love that.

Thank you! I see they have Spanish and it looks perfect- this will really help lighten my load.

Keystone, does not have much teach involvement. Not rigorous.

K12, as far as I know does not have high school , other than International Academy, you can do part time, they have languages and teachers. It is through powerglide, so no real great teacher involve. Actually, dd goes full time and that is the teacher she has the least amt. of contact w/. But if there is a question it does get answered.

We are looking into cheaper high school for younger dd, also looking at VP and another that looked interesting was Eagle Christian. They did have teacher webcasts, looked likea setup like college. I need to get info from them.

13yo ds - 8th grade is taking Jacob's Algebra, Omnibus III and Physical Science. His favorite is PS, then Algebra, then Omnibus. He really enjoys the interaction with the other students. He has been the leader for 2 online debates. His keyboarding skills have greatly improved. His computer skills (has to keep multiple windows open and be prepared to cut/paste, etc) have also improved. He likes all the teachers. I like that there are 3 hours of instruction per class per week. There are some technical difficulties, but overall we have been very happy.

11yo ds is taking Latin For Children B. He has learned a lot and all the above applies to him also.

Both kids prefer this versus a local coop. We plan on continuing next year.

We took off a week and went to DW. The teacher's were great about it. The kids turned in some of the work early, but nothing was counted off. I really like that even if someone is sick they can still sit there and attend class.

Both sons have a "blog" through VP that they use to talk with other kids who are in their classes.

We haven't done any other online type classes like this, but since both sons like it so much I'm not even going to attempt to find something else. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Blessings,

Michele

How much time does this take per day and/or week? Both online and with the work/study load. Dd wants to do German, but she also wants to do Latin. Both for credit, although I've suggested she do one noncredit so she's not overburdened.

13yo ds - 8th grade is taking Jacob's Algebra, Omnibus III and Physical Science. His favorite is PS, then Algebra, then Omnibus. He really enjoys the interaction with the other students. He has been the leader for 2 online debates. His keyboarding skills have greatly improved. His computer skills (has to keep multiple windows open and be prepared to cut/paste, etc) have also improved. He likes all the teachers. I like that there are 3 hours of instruction per class per week. There are some technical difficulties, but overall we have been very happy.

11yo ds is taking Latin For Children B. He has learned a lot and all the above applies to him also.

Both kids prefer this versus a local coop. We plan on continuing next year.

We took off a week and went to DW. The teacher's were great about it. The kids turned in some of the work early, but nothing was counted off. I really like that even if someone is sick they can still sit there and attend class.

Both sons have a "blog" through VP that they use to talk with other kids who are in their classes.

We haven't done any other online type classes like this, but since both sons like it so much I'm not even going to attempt to find something else. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Blessings,

Michele

Thanks Michele, we are going to register on Monday for dd 13.

my dd gets feedback regularly for her assignments and can contact the instructor at any time if she has questions.

She is doing great with this course...it is enjoyable and she is able to work independently, which she really likes.

I have to respectfully disagree on the "not rigorous" comment, though. I have found the courses my dd takes to be extremely in depth. Everyone always compares what they are doing at home to the ps...these courses are at least as rigorous as the AP courses my older dd (now 20 and in college) took in ps high school. My homeschooled dd does LOTS more writing, research and spends more time on her Keystone courses than my older dd ever did in ps. They have been great for her. YMMV.

Just our experience. Good luck in your search.

Robin

Edited by Robin in DFW