Menu

Evening Primrose Oil -- What's it for?

I have it on my list as an Essential Fatty Acid source, and good for all sorts of physical and mental functionings (yes, I know that's not really a word, but it sounds good for my purpose). I don't know what it does exactly for premenstrual problems. I hope you get some answers. I bet if you googled it, you'd find all sorts of info.

High GLA oils, like evening primrose and borage, help regulate prostaglandin production, which is linked to menstrual discomfort, moodiness and cramps.

They have also been used successfully for skin disorders - especially eczema - decreasing Parkinson's tremors and symptoms of other neurologic issues, and symptoms of Raynaud's disease. It has also shown promise in some studies for promoting weight loss.

Midwives recommend it to help "ripen" the cervix prior to childbirth.

My midwife recommends it for a mood stabilizer kind of thing. She says she can tell a noticeable difference when she takes it.

She suggested I try it last time I was pg. What do you think she was implying? :glare:

:lol:

From all I have read, it should NOT be used during pregnancy unless you are ready to deliver. Definitely do your research before taking it while pg.

I keep hearing about people taking Evening Primrose Oil for PMS or perimenopausal issues. What is it supposed to do?

From Prescription for Nutritional Healing: Fourth Edition (ISBN158333236-7)

Primrose oil (also known as evening primrose oil) contains 9 to 10 percent gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). This fatty acid is known to help prevent hardening of the arteries, heart disease, premenstrual syndrome, multiple sclerosis, and high blood pressure. It relieves pain and inflammation; enhances the release of sex hormones, including estrogen and testosterone; aids in lowering cholesterol levels; and is beneficial for cirrhosis of the liver.

Many women have found that primrose oil supplements relieve unpleasant menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes. Because it promotes the production of estrogen, women suffering from breast cancer that is dianosed as estrogen-receptor positive (estrogen-related) should avoid or limit their intake of primrose oil. Black currant seed oil is a good substitute.

Here is the dosage PNH recommends for PMS: 1,000 mg times daily.

Here is the dosage PNH recommends for menopause: as directed on label.

You should be able to check this book out from your local library. If not, Wild Oats usually has one on display for customers to look at. If you don't have a Wild Oats most health food stores I've been in have had a copy available for customers to look at.

I know a few women who have used Evening Primrose Oil exclusively for menopause symptoms and found relief. Personally, it wasn't enough for me, but I had surgical menopause at 32, my body just needs more than herbs have been able to provide.

Hope this helps.