Menu

1/29 exerciser check in.

Good morning ladies!

Chilly run out there today. Well, it started out that way. By the end, I had my sleeves pushed up and was wanting to take my hat off. :) (start temp 36, end was 41.)

Time Taken: 01:25:40

Total Distance: 8.14 mi.

Burned: 853 (kcal)

Pace: 10:31 (avg)

Speed: 5.7 (mi/hr) (avg)

I admire you runners. I can't figure out how to go running with all my kids in tow though. I don't think I want that kind of adventure.

Anyway, I did the first part of the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred DVD. It didn't kill me (which is a good sign) but it was a nice workout. I was starving after! You gotta love your appetite when you're nursing and excercising. :tongue_smilie:

Wow! You're really increasing your miles now. What a great run!

Snow still on the street here. Yuck. I hate running in that. So, I did 45 minutes with Tony again. It's still snowing here too. I can't wait to get out there again though!! I'll probably get out tomorrow afternoon as dh has the day off.

Thanks Jen!

You are getting it done! Hopefully tomorrow you can run!

I didn't run Wednesday b/c we went to a wave pool across the border for Luke's 9th birthday. I started swimming laps and ended up putting in 1200 meters. Oh. My. Word. As it if my dreadmill experience on Tuesday wasn't humbling enough, LOL. I'm still trying to figure out how I can run a full two minute mile pace faster the "real" way than I can on a treadmill. For that matter, I'm still dizzy from running on the darn thing!:tongue_smilie:

So with that experience still fresh in my mind, I start swimming for what was essentially the first time in, oh, about 30 years. Seriously, the only time in my entire life that I recall actually swimming for any length of time was as a 10 year old during summer camp. Now, recall that I don't put my head under the water when I swim. And recall that I do one stroke and one stroke only (breast). And further recall that said "breast stroke with head above water" is executed in a fairly mutated fashion.

With all that in mind, 1200 meters was on par with running a full-out marathon as far as I'm concerned. Good grief, but I was/am wiped out! And my time? Oh, dear. So sad. I do believe a turtle would've been lapping me out there. My fastest 100M was 2:40. Yes, you read that right. So by my calculations, it would take me ~ with all the pauses I found necessary, and the inevitable slowing that came after several hundred meters ~ somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 minnutes, at best, to swim one measly mile. Ahem. And the thanks I get for this whole undertaking is that I feel as if an alien has invaded my body. I'm pretty sure my eyelashes ache ~ and NO, I'm not prone to exaggeration.:D

Okay, on to the subject of running. Thursday is usually my day off. I may put in a few miles since I didn't run yesterday. Or I may not, since I'm tired from swimming and running (figuratively) around taking care of Birthday Stuff and feeling a bit like I'm on the verge of succumbing to a cold-flu sort of thing (or maybe it's just the post-swim alien;)).

Edited by Colleen

Btw, I've made a decision (I think:)) about running a marathon. I've sorta kinda been planning to do the full Whidbey Island Marathon at the end of March. It's sponsored in part by Organic Valley and has a beautiful waterfront course much of the distance. I've done the half the past two years and figured since it's relatively local, sponsored by our co-op, and a very environmentally-conscious race (key to me), I might as well make it my first marathon.

Well, I changed my mind. I could go the 26.2 distance, but the Whidbey course is major hilly. I don't wanna bust my butt out there trying to get a decent time and be wiped out by those hills. It just won't be fun, and if I've gotta have some fun, kwim? So I'm sticking with the half for that race and instead looking at the Eugene (Oregon) Marathon in early May. It's another "green" race with a flat course along the river and park trails. It's farther off ~ both in terms of distance and the calendar ~ than I wanted, but if I can tie it in with a family vacation on the coast, it'll work well.

I just knew y'all would want to hear that breaking news.:D

Edited by Colleen

I admire you runners. I can't figure out how to go running with all my kids in tow though. I don't think I want that kind of adventure.

Anyway, I did the first part of the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred DVD. It didn't kill me (which is a good sign) but it was a nice workout. I was starving after! You gotta love your appetite when you're nursing and excercising. :tongue_smilie:

My kids are old enough that I can leave them home without an adult present, so that's how I do it.

Good job on the dvd!

I didn't run Wednesday b/c we went to a wave pool across the border for Luke's 9th birthday. I started swimming laps and ended up putting in 1200 meters. Oh. My. Word. As it if my dreadmill experience on Tuesday wasn't humbling enough, LOL. I'm still trying to figure out how I can run a full two minute mile pace faster the "real" way than I can on a treadmill. For that matter, I'm still dizzy from running on the darn thing!:tongue_smilie:

So with that experience still fresh in my mind, I start swimming for what was essentially the first time in, oh, about 30 years. Seriously, the only time in my entire life that I recall actually swimming for any length of time was as a 10 year old during summer camp. Now, recall that I don't put my head under the water when I swim. And recall that I do one stroke and one stroke only (breast). And further recall that said "breast stroke with head above water" is executed in a fairly mutated fashion.

With all that in mind, 1200 meters was on par with running a full-out marathon as far as I'm concerned. Good grief, but I was/am wiped out! And my time? Oh, dear. So sad. I do believe a turtle would've been lapping me out there. My fastest 100M was 2:40. Yes, you read that right. So by my calculations, it would take me ~ with all the pauses I found necessary, and the inevitable slowing that came after several hundred meters ~ somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 minnutes, at best, to swim one measly mile. Ahem. And the thanks I get for this whole undertaking is that I feel as if an alien has invaded my body. I'm pretty sure my eyelashes ache ~ and NO, I'm not prone to exaggeration.:D

Okay, on to the subject of running. Thursday is usually my day off. I may put in a few miles since I didn't run yesterday. Or I may not, since I'm tired from swimming and running (figuratively) around taking care of Birthday Stuff and feeling a bit like I'm on the verge of succumbing to a cold-flu sort of thing (or maybe it's just the post-swim alien;)).

Hey! It takes me almost that long to swim a mile! Swimming is hard! It does take a while before you can just swim without the breaks to breathe though. Good job getting it done!

Hey, I hear you about the marathon! With the weather you've been having, I wouldn't want to have that race really soon either.

My kids are old enough that they stay at home. I put in a movie for my little one which basically assures that she won't move for 75-90 minutes! LOL Then I run my neighborhood twice, which means I pass the house 6 times. It's incredibly boring, but it's exactly 3 miles if I run it twice. I stick to 30 minutes of running, though, so they aren't alone too long.

I'm going to start increasing my distance/time in April, once daylight savings kicks in and I can go jogging after my husband gets home from work. I'm also going to work on getting my little one to ride a bike this summer, so they could ride while I jog!

Wow Colleen and cheryl! congratulations! Eugene will be a lovely marathon Colleen.

I'm coming back after taking 4 days off to rest my leg. I was getting worse and worse and it killed me to take so many days off but today's walk showed me I really needed to rest it. So, our usual hour walk. It was 97F/36C today. Finally the nortes have blown off.

I'm coming back after taking 4 days off to rest my leg. I was getting worse and worse and it killed me to take so many days off but today's walk showed me I really needed to rest it. So, our usual hour walk. It was 97F/36C today. Finally the nortes have blown off.

Sorry you need the rest still, but it is better to rest and fully heal than to come back too soon and injure it further. I'm glad you are getting back into it. Just take it slow sweetie!

Great job, everyone!

I walked 3 miles at 4.2mph and did 50 sit-ups and 4 regular and 8 cheater (from the knees) push-ups. I really need to work on my ab and upper body strength.

I also did 1/2 hour of yoga yesterday, but didn't get on to post.

Great job Deece!

Do you say your name like Dece (long first e, soft c, silent last e) (like cease but with a D) or like Dec-e (both e's are long, soft c)? Just wondering what to call you in my head. :)

Great job Deece!

Do you say your name like Dece (long first e, soft c, silent last e) (like cease but with a D) or like Dec-e (both e's are long, soft c)? Just wondering what to call you in my head. :)

Well, I don't usually say it, but those who call me that say it the first way. :) My name is really Denise, but my brother and sister have called me Deece ever since I can remember (my dh picked it up a few years ago, it surprised me the first time he said it) so when I started joining message boards it seemed like a good user name. Though it wasn't until then that I had to try and spell it. Maybe I should have spelled it differently?! Ah, well. :)