Menu

Algebra 2 reviews please

I am interested in knowing what Algebra 2 programs people have used.

Did you children do well with the materials?

Did you have to reteach the material after they read the chapter or listened to the DVD?

Where the materials worth the price you paid?

Where you able to resell them easily?

Do you feel they prepared them for the SAT well?

My ds is currently doing very well with Jacob Geometry second edition text. He is an excellent math student. For Algebra 1 we used Chalkdust. He did very well on the test, but I had to reteach the material to him after he listened to the DVD's

My choices as I see them are

Chalkdust Algebra 2 with Dr. Mosley $420

Dr. Callahan Algebra 2 with Trig $275

Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2 $184.90

I am open to any other suggestions. At the moment I am leaning towards Teaching Textbook not because of the price but I like how the materials are presented on the DVDs. I have just watched the demos on the website and have not used the actual texts etc. I also watched the Dr. Callahan demo DVD and it seems like the whitebaord is hard to see and he often stands in front of it. So I am interested in what people who have used these programs think of them.

Thanks!

Karen

Yes.

Or Eventually Yes.

100% every day (eventually)

90% first try on every lesson (eventually)

Did you have to reteach the material after they read the chapter or listened to the DVD?

No.

If any re-teaching is needed, the student digs into his math book another time or two.

By definition, no ?

If they weren't worth it, we wouldn't buy it or we wouldn't keep it.

Value is in the eye of the beholder.

I've owned many programs you are considering and others love, but they weren't worth it so I sold them.

So....what matters is whether it's worth it to you.

:-)

Easily enough, and always a factor of the lower the price, the faster/easier to sell. If you price it low enough, it will sell like hotcakes.

No idea. My kids don't take the SAT.

I would think there are a lot of SAT prep programs out there. I would be tempted to choose my own goals for math, and then if I want specific SAT prep, consider that separately.

:seeya:

Edited by Moni

My answers in color. :001_smile:

I am interested in knowing what Algebra 2 programs people have used. Saxon so far.

Did you children do well with the materials? Ds1 -- okay. Dd -- great.

Did you have to reteach the material after they read the chapter or listened to the DVD? no.

Where the materials worth the price you paid? Yes, we use the DIVE CDs.

Where you able to resell them easily? Haven't tried yet.

Do you feel they prepared them for the SAT well? We'll soon see. Ds' PSAT score was solid.

My ds is currently doing very well with Jacob Geometry second edition text. He is an excellent math student. For Algebra 1 we used Chalkdust. He did very well on the test, but I had to reteach the material to him after he listened to the DVD's

My choices as I see them are

Chalkdust Algebra 2 with Dr. Mosley $420

Dr. Callahan Algebra 2 with Trig $275

Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2 $184.90

I am open to any other suggestions. At the moment I am leaning towards Teaching Textbook not because of the price but I like how the materials are presented on the DVDs. I have just watched the demos on the website and have not used the actual texts etc. I also watched the Dr. Callahan demo DVD and it seems like the whitebaord is hard to see and he often stands in front of it. So I am interested in what people who have used these programs think of them.

Thanks!

Karen

I am interested in knowing what Algebra 2 programs people have used.

My daughter used Lial's Intermediate Algebra after Lial's Beginning Algebra and Jacobs' Geometry.

This has served her well. She placed into College Algebra at the Community College, and she did well in that course and subsequently in Trigonometry. Currently she is taking AP Statistics.

My husband taught this course to my daughter and one other child. He was and is very impressed with Lial's books. (He tutors math to other students.) No DVDs in our case.

I bought used and subsequently resold the text.

My daughter did use the Chalkdust SAT review program as well. She did respectably well on the math portion of the test.

I hope this is of value to you.

Regards,

Kareni

Just fyi, are you aware of the SaxonTeacher product? Demo available at the SaxonHomeschool website.

:seeya:

We used Saxon for K through Algebra 1/2 and were always very pleased with the materials. We started with Saxon Algebra 1 and ds struggled for the first time with math (we did not used the dvd's) So I switched to Chalkdust. I will check out the Saxon DVD's and I thank you very much for your suggestion and the other post you made, bot were very helpful.

Karen

My 9th grade son is using Lial's Intermediate Algebra this year after completing Jacob's Algebra in 7th & Jacob's Geometry in 8th. I bought the student text and the answer book (has all the problems worked out in detail). There is also free DVT's (although you can also purchase them from the company - forgot which one..hmmm). Here's the link for the free DVTs we're using this year.

http://www.math.iupui.edu/MAC/lectures/m111/

My son really likes the DVT lessons as he said it's nice to have a professional present the lesson as opposed to his mom who hasn't had Math in 30 years & relearns it as she reads the lesson with him!

The text is rigorous, yet the DVTs make it clear & precise.

Since I bought the text and solution guide here used and the DVTs are free - this was an economic choice as well as a successful one!

Myra

My 16yo is using the 7th edition and my 18yo is using the 8th (to reduce competition).

I'm very pleased with this program and the concpets covered. My girls will be prepared for Pre-Calc (or College Algebra --18yo just needs this part).

We do not use the DVTs (but I have them) because I'm a Math teacher. They work VERY independently only asking me for occasional help.

I paid about $15 for each text and $10 for the solutions manuals.

WELL worth the price!