Menu

Handwriting again...

Alice

I know this has been asked before in different ways but I thought I'd ask again. :D

But I'm thinking of starting to work on handwriting with my 4 1/2 yr old. I don't think I'd do this yet but am just starting to consider what to use. We do ETC and Singapore EB Math now...he loves doing the workbooks for both. Right now I just skip the writing parts or have him tell me what to write. That works fine. It makes it sound like we're doing a lot at this age...but it's maybe 30 min a day at the most.

Anyway, sometimes he shows interest in writing. He can write most letters but obviously not well. I thought I'd start to think about what to use to teach him when he is ready.

Things I've considered: Handwriting without Tears, Draw Write Now, Zaner-Bloser and no program but just doing it ourselves....

I know lots of people use HWT. Can you do this without the chalkboard? This is a weird thing of mine but I cannot stand touching chalkboards or chalk. Weird I know...but I know it would bug me to use one frequently. Has anyone here used the Zaner-Bloser books? I know they are recommended in WTM but I've never seen them mentioned here. They look fine to me so I'm wondering if people have tried them and not liked them. I also like the looks of Draw Write Now and am wondering if anyone has used just that for handwriting?

Thanks!

Alice

I agree with you. I HATE chalk and chalkboards. I asked HWT about this and they said use a whiteboard. Works just as well.

My older guys don't do well with the 3 lines so for them, we used HWT workbooks (not cursive. I taught them my own handwriting style for that.) and still use the narrow paper. I wouldn't bother with the TM past Kinder, though. Even then, you might not need it. There is so much direction given in the workbooks. Alternatively, you could just buy the block paper and teach him the uppercase letters with that.

Have you considered the Kumon Uppercase and Lowercase books? Cheap and lots of tracing.

I am currently looking at the StartWrite software. I still have 3 to go so the price would be worth it to me.

Hope these ideas are helpful to you.

Alice,

Yes you can skip the chalk board, or try to find a small white board you can substitute.

For now why not just dump some rice or cornmeal in a bowel, then you make the letters and he traces what you did? Easy-peazy and they think it is a blast!

Heather

I have used a bunch of different things for handwriting, and I think for that age the cornmeal idea is great. Also, you can use a white board or even a magnadoodle. You can also make letters out of playdough. If he would like his own workbook, I highly recommend hwt. It is very nice for that age. And you definitely can use it alone, without the chalkboard or other hands on items.

Alice (hi again!)

I have a white board you can have. It's a small size (8x10?) and it's better than an easel for writing practice--you will want to use a flat surface, not a vertical one, for practice.

Also, I have HWT's first book, teacher's guide and almost a whole ream of their special paper, all for you, just because you're nice. If you want it, email me and we'll get together!

Okay, I admit it that 4 years ago I bought the wood pieces, music cd, and a little personal chalk board with the program. The wood pieces were swords and the chalk board wound up being broken. I really only use the workbooks. And then I don't give much instruction except to make sure they draw the correct line first. I think somewhere along the way I have used the same book over again for one child, but the books are cheap so that's not a big deal to me.

Alison