Menu

Can you help me find this book?

My mother is looking for a book that was my younger sister's favorite back in the mid-70s. It was a picture book that we remember very little about.

There was an old lady who lived in a mansion on a hill, and an alligator who lived below (in the valley, perhaps?). The alligator, for some reason, cried and cried.

I think I recall that the lady invited the alligator to live with her. My mother, though, does not remember that part, so I could be mistaken.

Does this ring any bells?

Is it Alexander and the Magic Mouse, by Martha Sanders?

http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Magic-Mouse-Martha-Sanders/dp/0828150060?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189431082&sr=8-2

"The story itself revolves around an old lady who lives in an old Victorian mansion atop a hill on the prairies. She lives with an alligator (Alexander), a yak, a Brindle London Squatting Cat, and a magical mouse. When the Magical Mouse tells the friends that “It is going to rain for thirty days and thirty nights!” the old lady and the animals get ready for a long, wet month ahead. When the old lady realizes that the nearby town, beside a river, doesn’t know about the quantity of rain she decides that she needs to inform the mayor. Eventually it falls to Alexander to get the message to the town as he’s the only one who can cross the river (the bridge has fallen down). After a long struggle Alexander arrives home tired and very sick and his “family” must care for him. It’s a story about love and friendship and unselfishly doing the right thing."

quoted from http://www.jeremytankard.com/personal/

A first edition in fine/fine condition (with an unclipped dj) is worth over $100.

Is it Alexander and the Magic Mouse, by Martha Sanders?

http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Magic-Mouse-Martha-Sanders/dp/0828150060?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189431082&sr=8-2

"The story itself revolves around an old lady who lives in an old Victorian mansion atop a hill on the prairies. She lives with an alligator (Alexander), a yak, a Brindle London Squatting Cat, and a magical mouse. When the Magical Mouse tells the friends that “It is going to rain for thirty days and thirty nights!†the old lady and the animals get ready for a long, wet month ahead. When the old lady realizes that the nearby town, beside a river, doesn’t know about the quantity of rain she decides that she needs to inform the mayor. Eventually it falls to Alexander to get the message to the town as he’s the only one who can cross the river (the bridge has fallen down). After a long struggle Alexander arrives home tired and very sick and his “family†must care for him. It’s a story about love and friendship and unselfishly doing the right thing."

quoted from http://www.jeremytankard.com/personal/

A first edition in fine/fine condition (with an unclipped dj) is worth over $100.

yay.gif

THAT'S IT!! Thank you, RoughCollie!

I was able to find a number of copies online for under $20. It will make a great birthday gift for my sister.

DH & I collect out of print children's books and we have a huge bookstore, so I have a few tricks up my sleeve once in awhile when it comes to hunting for elusive old books, that's all.

RC

Wow, that was impressive, Rough Collie! :) I googled briefly, without success, and gave up quickly.

This looks like a neat book. I just might get if from the library.