Menu

Definition of "Teacher's Edition"

What does the term "teacher's edition" mean to you?  

1. 1. What does the term "teacher's edition" mean to you?

• student text plus answers and perhaps teaching aids
    • instructor review (examination) copy (student text free to teachers, NO answers)
    • commonly refers about *equally* to either of the above
    • other (please specify in a reply to the original post)

If you were purchasing a textbook from a used book retailer, and the book description gave the title and author and said that it was a "teacher's edition," what would you understand this phrase, "teacher's edition," to mean?

The customer support of a used book retailer and I have different opinions on this topic.

Thanks for your input!

Addendum, 10:30 a.m. EST, 1/23/09: If you haven't yet voted, but would like to, please do so soon! I think I'm going to e-mail the customer service representative later today and include a link to these results. I think that company needs to change the description they use for the instructor review copies that they're selling (which, I thought, publishers generally say are not to be resold, but that's another issue). If you have voted, thank you again!

Edited by teachmom3
Addendum

If you were purchasing a textbook from a used book retailer, and the book description gave the title and author and said that it was a "teacher's edition," what would you understand this phrase, "teacher's edition," to mean?

The customer support of a used book retailer and I have different opinions on this topic.

Thanks for your input!

I chose the first option, BUT....what does the curriculum publisher call it? A Beka's various teacher editions/ curriculum/ lesson plans/answer keys drove me NUTS!!! still does. Now i insist on the # so i can look it up online --don't take anyone's word.

I'd suggest perusing the publisher's site and verifying what THEY call it, maybe even email them asking about a teacher's edition and see what kind of response you get.

good luck!

Well, I have sold books for many years and bought books for even longer. I have also received many review copies for writing. TE universally refers to the text with answers. Many publishers may call the TE something else but TE nevers refers to something that does not contain answers. Answers alone without accompaning text are frequently called answer keys. Sometimes you will find an instructors guide which tells you how to present lessons and may not have the answers but is an additional book not called the TE. A review copy must be called a review copy. Review copies are usually marked in some way (states such on book or has corner cut off) and are not supposed to be sold, which is why they are marked. A review copy is sometimes also a TE but not neccesarily so. They may be some exceptions to this rules but I have never personally seen one. These are the conventions for all books I have bought, sold and received as review copies. Peek offers good advice though in checking with the individual publisher as to what they say a TE is.

The retailer is both refunding my money and paying for return shipment for the instructor's examination copy that they sent me as a "teacher's edition." I also asked that they change their use of "teacher's edition" on their website; we'll see what happens.

Thanks again!

The retailer is both refunding my money and paying for return shipment for the instructor's examination copy that they sent me as a "teacher's edition." I also asked that they change their use of "teacher's edition" on their website; we'll see what happens.

Thanks again!

great job!!

be sure to thank them for resolving the situation ;)