Menu

NCAA eligibility -- is it really this easy?

I have been procrastinating investigating NCAA eligibility rules for homeschoolers, but since ds2 is halfway through 9th grade and I thought that dealing with the NCAA was an absolute nightmare, I figured I really needed to get on the ball.

(Ds2 is interested in being on a sailing team if the college he attends has one -- his current top choice does.)

Well, the whole process looks very easy. I am dumbfounded. I know that it has changed a LOT, but is it REALLY this easy?

https://web1.ncaa.org/eligibilitycenter/pdf/home_school_checklist_example.pdf

For some reason, I thought he needed to take courses from "approved" schools or have an accredited diploma. I guess not?

And does anyone know when I should bother signing him up with the NCAA? Is the end of his junior year okay?

I feel like I must be missing something -- this is WAY too easy!

Sigh. I need to figure this out, too. Older one wants to do sailing team, but his college is division 3 so isn't a problem (at least so they told me when I asked about sports in general - hope they're right). But I suppose I should figure this out for the youngest in case he sticks with the gymnastics or (quite likely) wants to sail. It never occurred to me that sailing team was a sport. Stupid.

Well, it leaves a couple things out...

As of last year, they were still requiring copies of all table of contents from some, if not all, homeschoolers :glare: though they are not supposed to.

They sometimes (well ok 3 times that I know of in the last year, lol) lose ALL of your documentation so you had better keep copies, lol.

There is a list of approved courses that your courses must match. And yes, they will kick it back.

There is a minimum SAT/ACT score needed and certain core courses must be taken (not that this will be a problem for y'all:001_smile:).

You really do need to sign up the beginning of your junior year. It can be quite a hassle. Or maybe not, I won't know for personally for another 3 years, I only have what I've seen other homeschoolers in the area have gone through.

I'm sure that there is more and some other more experienced ladies will chime in.

hth,

georgia

Well, basically these are the "approved courses" for homeschoolers and they are what you can report that the student has done.

Approved Course List Go here, click list of apprved courses on the left sidebar, enter code 9969999 to see the list

So as I understand it, for the transcript you submit to them you need to use only these course designations. This is the part that will be a bit tricky for my dd- what to put in which designation...:001_huh:

Georgia

Wow! I mean, both my older kids basically had courses with those kind of labels, but I now feel like my kid's education is a square trying to fit in a round hole!

We've never done any bio labs. Ever. I guess I'll need to set up some bio labs. :-( I always swore that I would never ever have anyone dissect anything on my kitchen counter. Hmph!

One that labels the courses things like English 9 and one that labels the courses things like Ancient Literature and Analysis? And send one to the NACC and one to colleges and other places? The rest of the info would be the same. Although, in my case, I'd need to have a graded and ungraded version. What happens to students from alternative schools that don't give grades? Some of the really good private schools don't. There must be a way for them to compete in college sports. And Gwen - about dissections - can you have them dissect a heart and a chicken leg from the grocery store? I had my mother do it with my children because I didn't want my kitchen counters "contaminated" either LOL, and my mother is a biologist and has no trouble with dissections. Her college biology stories haunt me. They are along the lines of that recipe for rabbit stew that begins, "First, catch your rabbit." Ug ug ug.

-Nan, who likes to keep her ostrich head firmly in the hole

One that labels the courses things like English 9 and one that labels the courses things like Ancient Literature and Analysis? And send one to the NACC and one to colleges and other places?

That's exactly what I plan to do.;) Not sure about the grades though.

Georgia

I have found out the following...label your courses as they have them listed. If you are unsure about a homeschooling curriculum you are using, have them check their list---yes, they do have an "approved" curriculum list, although they don't advertise it and some of the people answering the phone don't know about it...they can ask the "homeschool" processing guy...I've had them do it. I was even told I could submit a letter requesting that a particular curriculum be added to their list! They do go through the books/curriculum used and are contantly adding to their list. So, even if you use something "out of the ordinary", you might be able to get them to add it to their list.

They are sometimes misinformed and will give out incorrect information. If I think they are in error, I ask to speak to someone else or call back.

It really is easier than it used to be. I think depending on who you speak with makes a big difference, though. I was told my dd would HAVE to have a GED...wrong...a home issued diploma signed by me and a transcript signed by me is sufficient...no GED required...unless your state dictates that you do.

hth,

Robin

even if the textbooks your dc used are not on their list, they check them out and if they meet certain criteria, they get added. I was concerned about Teaching Textbooks...no worries...they are on the list along with most other homeschool curricula we use...

They must get enough homeschooled students sending in apps that it was finally worth their while to hire someone who does just homeschool apps!

So...yes, use their course titles...they are pretty generic.

R

We've never done any bio labs. Ever. I guess I'll need to set up some bio labs. :-( I always swore that I would never ever have anyone dissect anything on my kitchen counter. Hmph!

I think I was scarred for life when I had to kill the frog before I dissected it (at least that's how I remember it) in high school biology. I hope to prevent my son having to disect any animal. Here in FL, I believe to graduate (at least public schoolers) they have to take 3 science classes, 2 with lab. So, theoretically biology could be without lab and chemistry, physics, or earth science could be with lab. You will notice that they do not say how many classes the students have to take.

If you still want to do biology with labs. We chose to do natural history instead of biology because it was contained many, many hands-on activities, some of them even set up as proper experiments, with controls and all. It didn't, of course, include labs as in laboratory experience, but it certainly contained most of the elements of "doing science" - experience with lots of measuring equipment, various ways of recording your data and presenting it later, designing an experiment, and the whole observe-wonder-research-experiment-formal experiment-make the results available to the rest of the world cycle/mishmash. For proper laboratory, as in a laboratory, experience, mine are doing/going to do CC chemistry. That appears to be fairly morally safe, at least on the surface LOL. I refused to take high school biology because of rumours of dissections. I couldn't tell my parents why because at the time I didn't know myself. I just said it was yucky and I didn't want to know that stuff. My engineering, squeemish father jumped to my rescue and told my horrified biologist mother that if I didn't want to know, I didn't have to know, and I could take earth science. (If I'd been refusing to take physics, the shoe would have been on the other foot GRIN.) The part that worries me about the whole thing is that I didn't know that a moral aversion to dissection was behind my distaste until about 10 or 20 years later. At which point, the whole thing was totally clear. At 13, I could have told you I thought killing things for any other purpose than to eat them was wrong, even ants (could and did GRIN), but I couldn't apply that to biology. That makes me worry about making my children do things that they might later discover are against their beliefs. Apparently, high schoolers are scarily unable to connect their beliefs to the applications of their beliefs. At least I was. And as I write this, I begin to see how much teenage denseness and stupidness and shortsightedness can probably be attributed to this. But it is Sat. and I want to go walk on the beach with the dog, not be philisophical. Philosophical? GRIN.

-Nan

I have found out the following...label your courses as they have them listed. If you are unsure about a homeschooling curriculum you are using, have them check their list---yes, they do have an "approved" curriculum list, although they don't advertise it and some of the people answering the phone don't know about it...they can ask the "homeschool" processing guy...I've had them do it.

Do you have a copy of this list? Could you post it?

• 8 months later...
Well, basically these are the "approved courses" for homeschoolers and they are what you can report that the student has done.

Approved Course List Go here, click list of apprved courses on the left sidebar, enter code 9969999 to see the list

So as I understand it, for the transcript you submit to them you need to use only these course designations. This is the part that will be a bit tricky for my dd- what to put in which designation...:001_huh:

Georgia

FYI, the code is 969999 now (6 digits only).

• 8 months later...