Menu

Diane Waring's Ancient Civilization for middle school?

Tami

I am looking for a supplement to use with our literature-based ancient history studies for 7th grade.

Today I perused "Ancient Civilizations and the Bible" by Diane Waring and it looks tailor made for middle school. This is the new, revised version that is written in a 4-phase format. I am looking for research, writing, and across-the-curriculum ideas that are challenging enough for middle school, yet have a creative spark.

Diane Warings material looks like it has choices that would appeal to a wide variety of learning styles. I'm leaning toward getting it, and was wondering if there is anyone who has used it. Did your child like it?

This would be a resource for student-selected projects and research, and I'd love to hear from anyone who's used it.

I wasn't exactly sure how you intended to use it, so that was why I had failed to chime in.

Are you saying you want to have it to give you ideas for projects and research only? Her stuff would probably be fine for projects, but I wouldn't be so keen on it for research. The ideas she has for research are good, but I had a devil of a time locating many of the books she suggested. But, then again, our library is *rap. If your kiddos are super creative, they would probably like it. Lots of ideas about writing plays, newspaper articles, doing crafts, etc. I did not think the text was adequate as a spine. It was just too much of an overview. But, then, she would delve into some things (often obscure, IMO) in a really detailed way. So I felt as though there was either not enough information on a topic or almost too much! Not sure if that makes sense. We enjoyed listening to her audios very much. From what I can gather, most folks either love 'em or hate 'em with not much middle ground. They seemed the same way as the text in that she tended to go down some rabbit trails. However, she is so engaging in her storytelling, we still loved them. I wanted to try doing her program completely, but I felt like the scheduling didn't suit us. The first two weeks of each unit were where ALL the "work" was done (reading, writing, research) and the second two weeks of each unit were where ALL the "fun" was. This is where she has great ideas for projects. I would have preferred it if the work and play were more intermingled, kwim?

HTH a little :confused:

to know that it requires great preparation. It looks wonderful, however, when you are told to add dates to the time line you are not given the date, you have to find it elsewhere. I found it to be more unit study ideas with commentary and literature suggestions. I truly cried over history for 6 months because I would spend 3 hours every Sunday trying to figure out what to do. The suggestions seem great, but good luck finding the info. I found you spend a lot of time researching to complete the ideas. Sorry, I know others love it, and it looks wonderful, but I was so glad to shelve it. I moved to MOH I and added my own literature from suggestions and it SAVED history for us. MOH has lots of multi sensory ideas for each lesson and is bible based like Diana Waring. MOH gives the ideas plus how to do it and the information. Hope this helps, Julie

to know that it requires great preparation. It looks wonderful, however, when you are told to add dates to the time line you are not given the date, you have to find it elsewhere. I found it to be more unit study ideas with commentary and literature suggestions. I truly cried over history for 6 months because I would spend 3 hours every Sunday trying to figure out what to do. The suggestions seem great, but good luck finding the info. I found you spend a lot of time researching to complete the ideas. Sorry, I know others love it, and it looks wonderful, but I was so glad to shelve it. I moved to MOH I and added my own literature from suggestions and it SAVED history for us. MOH has lots of multi sensory ideas for each lesson and is bible based like Diana Waring. MOH gives the ideas plus how to do it and the information. Hope this helps, Julie

It has been a good choice for us.

Thanks so much, ladies! I looked at MOH, and the structure and lack of choices doesn't appeal to me. ;) I am comfortable with products like KONOS, and TruthQuest which leave the scheduling and choices up to the parent. I actually dislike being structured by a publisher.:D

Yes, I am doing my own "Phase 1" but plan to have dd choose ideas from phases 3-4. See, I think searching for the information and asking questions is half of the fun! I'm the type of teacher that is pretty comfortable with student-led, prefers choices, and loves open-ended, creative ideas. In fact, I am in the process of putting a middle school co-op together, and am looking for some challenging, creative unit study ideas for us to use.

I have heard that the new revision from Answers in Genesis does have a map and timeline answer key. We are going to go for it!

I was so excited to get Truthquest and now it's just sitting on the shelf. I thought there would be more content. My kids love to read. I looked at Ancients with Waring also, but I'm hesitant on purchasing it and the CD's. It's costly. Right now we're doing no history because Mom's stumped. Any suggestions with Truthquest would be great. My dh thinks I should start with Ancient history and how the Bible fits into history instead of starting with US history. I don't know what to do.

Thanks so much, ladies! I looked at MOH, and the structure and lack of choices doesn't appeal to me. ;) I am comfortable with products like KONOS, and TruthQuest which leave the scheduling and choices up to the parent. I actually dislike being structured by a publisher.:D

Yes, I am doing my own "Phase 1" but plan to have dd choose ideas from phases 3-4. See, I think searching for the information and asking questions is half of the fun! I'm the type of teacher that is pretty comfortable with student-led, prefers choices, and loves open-ended, creative ideas. In fact, I am in the process of putting a middle school co-op together, and am looking for some challenging, creative unit study ideas for us to use.

I have heard that the new revision from Answers in Genesis does have a map and timeline answer key. We are going to go for it!

Tami, I love DW's cds, and occasionally eye the rest of the curricula, but I think even at 5th grade we won't really be ready for it next year. Even so, I'm curious what you have planned for your own "phase 1?" I'm assuming you might choose some spine or will you be soley lit. based?

Thanks!

Tami, I love DW's cds, and occasionally eye the rest of the curricula, but I think even at 5th grade we won't really be ready for it next year. Even so, I'm curious what you have planned for your own "phase 1?" I'm assuming you might choose some spine or will you be soley lit. based?

Thanks!

Yeah, the guide says for 6th grade and up, and we will be using it for 7th. From what I saw, it looks perfect for middle school.

I'm doing TruthQuest/Ambleside Online type stuff. Right now, I like the Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of the Ancient World, The World of Caesar Augustus by Foster, and Famous Men of Greece/Rome. We'll add all sorts of TruthQuest selections to that as time and interest allows. I hope that the Diana Waring guide will add some "outside the box" activities to do with our little co-op.

I love the revisions by Answers in Genesis! The discussion questions and scheduling helps will be great for a co-op.

When do you plan to use it?

Awwww - what a bummer to be stumped. With TruthQuest, the content is mainly in the living books -- it is truly a literature-based approach. We have used it for years with great success. However, if it has your head spinning, you'd likely do better with something more structured. How about BiblioPlan Ancients? Or Winter Promise Quest for the Ancients? Maybe something with a weekly schedule would get you going.

Best wishes!

Any suggestions with Truthquest would be great.

I combine Truthquest with the Veritas Press history cards. The cards schedule out the topics for us, list readings from spines like the Famous Men Series, and integrate Biblical history with Ancient History. Truthquest provides commentary and great book lists. Several people on the board use this combination. It has worked well for us.

Yeah, the guide says for 6th grade and up, and we will be using it for 7th. From what I saw, it looks perfect for middle school.

I'm doing TruthQuest/Ambleside Online type stuff. Right now, I like the Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of the Ancient World, The World of Caesar Augustus by Foster, and Famous Men of Greece/Rome. We'll add all sorts of TruthQuest selections to that as time and interest allows. I hope that the Diana Waring guide will add some "outside the box" activities to do with our little co-op.

I love the revisions by Answers in Genesis! The discussion questions and scheduling helps will be great for a co-op.

When do you plan to use it?

I'm not sure when/if we'll use it. We'll do Ancients next year (5th, 2nd, lst grades - plus a 4yo and 1yo in the mix :D), but with our ages we won't be ready for DW, so I'll have to see if it's a good fit for us the next time around. (I'm still looking for what we'll use next year - I've just about eliminated TOG as an option, I'm waiting for HOD to come out with their new ancients package, and I'm also considering winging it :w00t:) I've noticed the Usborne book is used by a lot of different packages as a good resource and I'm considering the FM books too.

Thanks for your response. (I like your new picture too!)