Menu

Orthodontist ?-anyone have experience w/ internal headgear called Herbest appliance?

We are trying to make a decision about using headgear vs. a Herbest appliance for my oldest ds's ortho treatment. The headgear would be worn at night for 9 months. The Herbest appliance is an internal mechanism that stays on permanently for 9 months.

I love the idea of the Herbest appliance because I wouldn't have to constanly remind my ds to wear his headgear. I also wouldn't have to worry about him losing it. However, I have heard conflicting reports about the comfort of the Herbest. One ortho, (the one recommending it) said it takes a few weeks to get used to and then the child forgets they have it on. He also said that it is easier to get used to than headgear. The other ortho said their office doesn't use it because it is so uncomfortable.

The price is about the same. Does anyone have any experience either way??

One patient in the dental office where I work as a dental hygienist wears a Herbst appliance. It is quite bulky and looks uncomfortable, but the patient does get used to it in time. It is a good choice for a non-compliant patient, but meticulous home care is extremely important because of food/plaque adhering to the appliance. Most orthodontists in my area prefer headgear.

http://www.braces.org/studentsteachers/types/

DD has a friend that opted for this and although it looked like it was terribly uncomfortable, she got used to it very quickly, never complained about it and the difference it made was not only fantastic, but FAST.

Keep in mind, though, that anything in your mouth will take some getting used to. I think if I would have had to consider something like this for dd, I would not have chosen the headgear because when it was uncomfortable, she could have removed it in the middle of the night when I could not stop her, causing treatment to last even longer.

Here is another thread about this from a couple weeks ago. Ds15 gets his in 2 weeks.

Thank you for the link. I think I was spelling it incorrectly which is why it didn't come up in my seach. The link was very helpful!

Also, thanks for the feedback everyone!

Edited by Ferdie