Menu

Potential Issue in Oklahoma for HSers

Well, it looks as though a few bad eggs are causing red flags to be raised in regards to homeschooling. There are 2 bills in the Senate: Senate Bill 472 would require parents or guardians who homeschool their child to notify the local school district and provide a report of academic progress to school officials. Which, I suppose, isn't so bad. A lot of other states require this.

This one, though, really bothers me: Senate Bill 308 would let local police or truancy officials interview and temporarily detain a child not in school.

Apparently there are some parents out there who have pulled their kids from ps and plopped them down in front of the TV in lieu of actual homeschooling.

So, all you Okie moms out there, we have got to stop this mess. Write to your Senator; tell them your thoughts! Protect your right to homeschool.

Yikes!

We are moving to OK this weekend.

I was hoping to have an easy transition~

Does that mean that you can't be out in public during school hours, w/o the threat of having your child detained?

Or, the kids just can't be out alone>

And does that apply to breaks in the back yard and nature walks>

How the heck are they going to enforce that?

We have to turn in our curriculum plan in Arkansas.

And take the testing in the spring.

In Texas, we did nothing.

The school district didn't even want to know that you lived there!

So strange to me how all of this evolves.......

Well, it looks as though a few bad eggs are causing red flags to be raised in regards to homeschooling. There are 2 bills in the Senate: Senate Bill 472 would require parents or guardians who homeschool their child to notify the local school district and provide a report of academic progress to school officials. Which, I suppose, isn't so bad. A lot of other states require this.

YES! It IS bad!!! OK parents have a constitutional right to homeschool; ANY law which adds requirements on to that is BAD.

I'll bet you that it isn't a few bad eggs; I'll bet you it's that some legislators (or public school officials, who have pounced on the legislators) are just plain not happy that OK parents have complete authority over their children's education.

This one, though, really bothers me: Senate Bill 308 would let local police or truancy officials interview and temporarily detain a child not in school.

Apparently there are some parents out there who have pulled their kids from ps and plopped them down in front of the TV in lieu of actual homeschooling.

Again, I'd have to see proof with my own eyeballs that this is why the legislators have made this move.

So, all you Okie moms out there, we have got to stop this mess. Write to your Senator; tell them your thoughts! Protect your right to homeschool.

Exactly.

This has already been discussed in a co-op that I've joined, and a couple of senators on the education committee have already responded, saying that they will oppose these actions from the beginning and that it's likely these bills will never even reach the floor. The senator who introduced these bills tried to introduce them a few years ago (I guess he does this every time he's elected) and they were shot down then. One of the guys on the education committee apparently has grandchildren who are being HS, so he's a huge advocate.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't go ahead and bring awareness of it to all the representatives, but I really don't see these going anywhere. Just my two cents!

We have to do the notifying and reporting in VA.

One problem with the "reporting" is that some school disctricts use the term "approve" when they accept your notice. NO. The state code says I have to "report" MY decision to homeschool to you. I don't need your approval (or disapproval).

It has taken legal action to remind some localitites of this, but they have pretty much gotten the message.

The senator who introduced these bills tried to introduce them a few years ago (I guess he does this every time he's elected) and they were shot down then. One of the guys on the education committee apparently has grandchildren who are being HS, so he's a huge advocate.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't go ahead and bring awareness of it to all the representatives, but I really don't see these going anywhere. Just my two cents!

She doesn't think it has any chance of passing....but we should still call and tell our lawmakers what we think about it.

I emailed her, but don't know how many emails she gets at the addie at her website so no idea when she will read it. i could be in her SPAM folder for all I know;)

Now I'm going to be haunting the site for the next couple of days to see if anything shows up about it! :D

This has come up every year since I've homeschooled in OK (14 years). Every year it gets ruled down *because* of our constitutional right to homeschool. Unless the constitution is changed, these laws won't be passed. We even have a homeschooling dad on the education subcommittee (or he was as of a year or so ago).

I know it is dangerous to become complacent so we do write our representatives, etc. But in the end, it always comes back to being a constitutional issue which the state education association just cannot overcome.

We have had excellent feedback from the committee members we have contacted. We have an extremely active (vocal) homeschool community in OK. The representative of our district, in fact, has contacted us about learning how to homeschool his own 2 young children. Our kids have helped in various political campaigns and the politicians are very impressed with them. So...homeschooling in OK has a good reputation overall.

I hope and pray our freedom continues as before, and it looks like it will. But just to be safe, write those letters and make those calls :D

and I did get the email where one of the senators responded with "never have supported it, never will" letter which was a relief. And as far as your two cents worth, I tend to agree with you!:001_smile:

This has already been discussed in a co-op that I've joined, and a couple of senators on the education committee have already responded, saying that they will oppose these actions from the beginning and that it's likely these bills will never even reach the floor. The senator who introduced these bills tried to introduce them a few years ago (I guess he does this every time he's elected) and they were shot down then. One of the guys on the education committee apparently has grandchildren who are being HS, so he's a huge advocate.