Menu

Taking your medical situation into your own hands..... What would you do?

Here's the deal:

(Preface--I am a registered nurse, so I'm not an ignoramus when it comes to healthcare.)

I saw my family physician in Oct. '07 for my yearly pap. At that time, he told me that I did not need to see him but every two years because I had had a complete hysterectomy in Sept. '05. I have been on Premarin 1.25 mg since then. He told me that I would stay on Premarin until Oct. '09 and then go off of it.

My Rx ran out (it's only good for a year), and I contacted my MD to have it refilled for the following year. The nurse I talked with said that I don't need a pap but every two years like the MD said but that I do have to be seen for any problems. I don't have any known problems and doubt he would find any if I saw him considering he will not do a pap and I do my self-exams, etc, and there is never any blood work done.

Now, I don't like having to see the MD just for an Rx (the visit will cost ~$100). If he is going to take me off Premarin anyway in a few months, what's the real benefit of a few more month's worth of Premarin-coverage. I know that it is thought to be preventative to some degree, but what is the real worth?

I really get incensed at basically being at the mercy of insurance companies who are controlling healthcare. I don't see an MD unless I have a problem; I don't go when I'm healthy.

What are your thoughts? Mine are kind of bent out of shape, so "in the multitude of counselors, there is wisdom."

Thanks!

Janie,

I'd call and leave a message for your doctor to call you. When he calls, I'd ask him to give you a refill on the Rx to last until Oct., and ask him when, and how often, he wants to see you.

I do think the biannual exam is a good idea. Just in case.

Ria

I would call the office again and ask to have your doctor call you back "regarding questions about a prescription" and speak to him directly.

My primary hcp and my kids' peds are in the same office, and the front desk/nurses are always doing their best to answer questions themselves. SOP.

I'm not above giving a vague or cryptic message to "earn" a call back when it comes to simple questions that could cost an arm and a leg to have answered in person. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've been able to get dosages changed and abx scripts written, but my doctor has put his foot down when it comes to prescriptions that *require* a visit to renew.

If your doctor insists it's necessary, then it may be worth the $100 or so to go in. Or maybe he'll tell you it's not that big of a deal, and you won't have to spend those months second guessing yourself. I'd do my best to get the answer from the horse's mouth!

It seems like you are booking visits according to the schedule prescribed by your doctor. I'm not sure why there would be a problem with him renewing a script for a maintenance drug... why don't you just go to refill it and have the pharmacy call for the renewal?

In my experience as both a back-office assistant and a patient, it pays to bypass speaking directly to the office staff. (Illustrated by a visit some years ago because I "had to be seen" to refill my Zyrtec script, only for my PCP to wonder why I was there, since I had no problems to discuss. :glare:) If he really wants to see you, he'll give you a single refill and have the office call to set up a visit.

I had not had an appt in over a year.....and the receptionist informed me that I had to be seen ONCE A YEAR in order to get my script renewed. What a crock.....

I did make an appt....because I had to have my Imitrex for migraines.....and what a WASTE OF TIME.