Menu

Ham bone left on counter overnight - a question

Is a ham bone, with some ham left on it, that was left overnight on the counter OK to use to make a soup stock? It was a fully cooked ham before I cooked it to heat it through, was then in the fridge, cooled, and then left on the counter. I would boil the soup stock, but WWYD?

Dear hubby meant well, cutting all my ham off the bone. :001_huh:

TIA!

Kimm in WA

I would not. I took a foods class in college and learned stuff about food toxins I would rather forget. When kept at room temp for any length of time (hours) meat becomes nasty and dangerous. While there are those who would debate that meat left out just a few hours might be okay, I am sure that meat (or in this case, a meaty bone) left out all night is definitely a hotbed of bacteria. Getting a pot of soup out of that bone just is not worth the risk.

Sorry

Is a ham bone, with some ham left on it, that was left overnight on the counter OK to use to make a soup stock? It was a fully cooked ham before I cooked it to heat it through, was then in the fridge, cooled, and then left on the counter. I would boil the soup stock, but WWYD?

Dear hubby meant well, cutting all my ham off the bone. :001_huh:

TIA!

Kimm in WA

We wouldn't.