Menu

Need Opinions of Grwoing with Grammar....please!

sweetsouthern

I love GWG...but I use it more as a supplement than anything else. We do LLATL and Writing Tales II for 4th grade (and spelling), so GWG is just reinforcement for my ds.

As for everything you need...I personally don't think so. I have a BA in English and I prefer to marry the three programs I use and pick and pull as I see fit. GWG is great for Grammar...but it does not involve any book studies, copy work, dictation, writing, spelling, etc.

I agree with Rebecca, you will need something else for writing. I love, love, love GWG, but I use Writing Tales for my 6th grader (and Spelling Wisdom for spelling) to round out grammar for him. If I remember (and am not mistaken), I have seen Tami recommend WT for a writing curr.

I Love it because it provides the basics for grammar in short lessons that are easy to understand, AND doesn't require a lot of my help to get it done.

Edited by Tina in WA

The writing we all are referring to isn't copywork. We are refering to formal writing. Therefore, writing(really formal writing) and copywork are 2 separate things. Copywork can be used for handwriting (practice letters), some use it for spelling, memorization of poems/quotes, etc.

Writing (again formal writing) is teaching how to write sentences (punctuation, etc.), narrative papers, creative writing papers, etc. I think what your refering to as writing is more penmanship/handwriting practice. I "think" penwrite (don't know as I haven't seen this program before) would be more for penmanship/handwriting then formal writing (how to write a pragraph, etc.)

If your 4th grader isn't ready for a formal writing program yet, don't worry about using one right now. My son wasn't ready until he was in 5th grade (and that was in the middle of 5th grade). Once they are able to write out a sentences/paragraph without much trouble, then introduce a formal writing program like Writing Tales. (one example is: you say a sentence or two and they can write it properly w/o help.)

If you think GWG, spelling, and copywork are fine for him right now, just use those for now. Again, don't introduce a formal writing program until you feel he is ready for it. When his is ready, I believe WT is a gentle program to use.

Edited by Tina in WA
explain myself a little better...