Menu

Help me get well in time for surgery!

I was sooooo sick last week. Some of you may remember. I was frantic because I have surgery coming up on the 23rd.

I ended up in bed for almost 2 days last week. Hacking and blowing my nose, miserable and even ended up running a little fever.

It was some kind of cold, I'm thinking a virus since it is clearning up on its own. I am not 'sick' anymore. I feel fine and have felt fine for several days now.

My cough is almost gone. It is still productive though, not dry.

I have a lot of sinus preassure, blowing my nose a lot still. My ear was even stopped up for a little while this morning after I blew my nose.

I am still afraid that this may not be gone in time. How do I clear this up faster? I don't think I need antibiotics at all. And I can't take most over the counter medications because of my upcoming surgery.

I have some Zyrtec that is allowable, but it is for allergies. Do you think this will clear up my sinuses even though this is left over cold and not allergies?

Thanks,

Hi Rhonda, thank goodness you feel better. For your sinuses the best thing may be to use a neti-pot (I'll admit I've never done this myself, but people swear by it). They are common now at our pharmacy. Also try taking some Mucinex D with lots of water during the day. When I worked in the hospital and felt like I was about to get sick, I would drink about 3 tall glasses of orange juice one after the other, each day until better. A group of us did this and it seemed to always work. I believe it's a combination of the extra Vit C and the extra fluids. I think real Vit c is better than the pill form.

If you still feel congested after a few days, you may want to see an ENT or your family doctor. You may have a sinus infection and that would need antibiotics. I don;t know if that would necessarily prevent a surgery though.

Many hugs :grouphug: I hope you continue to get better!

Oh, Rhonda. You poor thing, I'm glad you're getting better.

Apple cider vinegar is helpful with many viruses. Steam or cool mist humidifiers often work well. My mom still loves her Vick's vapor rub and the Vick's stuff in her warm mist humidifier. Vitamin C and all of the B vitamins speed many recoveries.

Sending prayers your way.:grouphug:

I'm not sure about the Z in some people it causes ear infections.

Can you take Mucinex? That will help thin the stuff and get it draining.

However - it sounds like a sinus infection to me :( I can relate - you described how i feel at the moment. I really should have gone to the doctor today i think.

:grouphug:

I've never even heard of Mucinex so I don't know if I can take it or not. I know I cannot have anything that will cause blood thinning. So nothing with Asprin.

I'll look up Mucinex and see what it is. Thanks.

Oh if you could stand it the Neti pot would work.

My grandma has had 3 or 4 sinus surgeries and the only thing that has kept her from having another is her sinus rinse stuff. She tells me if i would use it i wouldn't need to go get drugs.

Grandma's Recomendation at amazon

Ewww...just the THOUGHT of it. I had a friend tell me about one of these before. I might have to try it though. Thanks,

Rhonda

Hi Rhonda, thank goodness you feel better. For your sinuses the best thing may be to use a neti-pot (I'll admit I've never done this myself, but people swear by it). They are common now at our pharmacy. Also try taking some Mucinex D with lots of water during the day. When I worked in the hospital and felt like I was about to get sick, I would drink about 3 tall glasses of orange juice one after the other, each day until better. A group of us did this and it seemed to always work. I believe it's a combination of the extra Vit C and the extra fluids. I think real Vit c is better than the pill form.

If you still feel congested after a few days, you may want to see an ENT or your family doctor. You may have a sinus infection and that would need antibiotics. I don;t know if that would necessarily prevent a surgery though.

Many hugs :grouphug: I hope you continue to get better!

I am taking liquid vit. C with Quertecin (sp?) daily in apple juice. I think I'll have dh pick up some orange juice too though.

I don't think I have a sinus infection. I hope not anyway. I am not totally stopped up...(blowing nose constantly) but it isn't running either. Kinda inbetween.

I'm going to check on both the Neti pot and the Mucinex. Thanks,

Oh, Rhonda. You poor thing, I'm glad you're getting better.

Apple cider vinegar is helpful with many viruses. Steam or cool mist humidifiers often work well. My mom still loves her Vick's vapor rub and the Vick's stuff in her warm mist humidifier. Vitamin C and all of the B vitamins speed many recoveries.

Sending prayers your way.:grouphug:

I'm not sure about the Z in some people it causes ear infections.

The Z causes ear infections?? Do you mean zyrtec?

Thanks,

Oh if you could stand it the Neti pot would work.

My grandma has had 3 or 4 sinus surgeries and the only thing that has kept her from having another is her sinus rinse stuff. She tells me if i would use it i wouldn't need to go get drugs.

Grandma's Recomendation at amazon

Our allergist recommends a Neti pot before medications.

Hope this all works out Rhonda. What happened with the blood you gave, since you do have a cold?

Our allergist recommends a Neti pot before medications.

Hope this all works out Rhonda. What happened with the blood you gave, since you do have a cold?

Humph. I guess I need to call and tell them to flush that $385.00 down the toilet. Dang it.

And, another vote for filling my nose full of water...:sigh:

I just don't WANNA! :ack2:

Humph. I guess I need to call and tell them to flush that $385.00 down the toilet. Dang it.

And, another vote for filling my nose full of water...:sigh:

I just don't WANNA! :ack2:

Right there with you.... the thought of it makes me wanna..... yuck.

BUT, it might be your only hope at this point.

:grouphug:

It's not really filling your nose with water - it just runs through. :D

Seriously, my 7 year old goes for the neti pot when her nose is runny or dusty, and my 4 year olds use it with my help. I believe it might be time to pull up our big-girl panties and rinse the yuck out of our heads. (At least, that's what I told my husband yesterday.)

It's not really filling your nose with water - it just runs through. :D

Seriously, my 7 year old goes for the neti pot when her nose is runny or dusty, and my 4 year olds use it with my help. I believe it might be time to pull up our big-girl panties and rinse the yuck out of our heads. (At least, that's what I told my husband yesterday.)

:glare:

But, but, but..... i can't even swim without a nose plug. I can't keep water out of my nose, and so anything running thru it brings out in me a real "fear" (drowning)..... oh the thought of it......

:tongue_smilie:

It's not quite the same as having water in your nose while your head is submerged. Your head is tilted over, almost upside down. You continue to breathe through your mouth while you're rinsing.

(Note: I assume a more bent over position while rinsing than the one demonstrated, though I might not need to)

Angela (who also wigs out when completely submerged in water, but that may be because her brilliant mother took her to see Jaws when she was 5)