Menu

A Question for Growing with Grammar Users

sweetbaby

Do you think this program is thorough in comparison with Rod and Staff English? Would this program work well for Wiggly Willies? Is there plenty of review? What do you use for composition?

I have three sons using Rod and Staff English, my 5th grade twins and my 4th grade son. My twins have very similar learning styles with a few differences but both are definitely Wiggly Willies while my youngest son is a Competent Carl. Rod and Staff works great for my youngest but I am looking at options for my twins that would contain the same or similar content but with a more gentle approach. Rod and Staff seems a little too intense for them.

I'm looking toward the upcoming year. I get the eebby jeebies :scared: when just even THINKING about changing curriculum so I need to get all of the facts.

Just thinking at the moment.

Thanks!

Edited by sweetbaby

Kysha,

You should email them, Tammy is wonderful about answering questions. We've used it for Grade 3 and 4 so far and my ds really loves it. I was using the grade 1 with my dd and she really enjoyed it, but I thought it might be a bit much as she's not reading on her own yet. So I shelved it for her but will definitely go back onces she's reading. I've found it very easy to implement because they are really written to the student, so my son can do it independently. I feel there is plenty of review, the workbook pages even list what chaper and section to refer back to if the child gets stuck. I'm surprised at how much my son has retained. I thought he wasn't retaining anything and hated diagramming, so I bought Shurley english, just before starting back after holiday break, he said "Mom, why do I have to use a new program? I like GWG, the diagramming is way fun" LOL It just turned out he had to take the Chapter review on his first day back and he aced it. It all had really stuck and that with not using it at all for 3 weeks.

I can't really compare it to R&S as I've never used that, but we love GWG. We're secular hsers and that was the reason I looked at it in the first place and have found it great. My dd loves that it has unique or not so popular names in it and has even seen her name "Annika" in it a few times, so to her it seems like the kids in the sentences are "more like her" if that makes any sense.

HTH

I use GWG 3 with two boys ages 8 and 9. I use it along WT1 so we play grammar games which have them on there feet and able to move around. I really like GWG and there is review with each lesson. I plan to continue on with it for them and my 5th grader. I haven't used R&S so can't really compare it and I'm a first year homeschooler for what it's worth.

I considered both R & S and GWG before deciding on GWG for my 11yo ds. I knew the amount of writing would frustrate him with R & S, and frankly, my time is minimal with an 8yo and almost 2yo, so doing it orally wasn't an option.

Imho, the amount of work is similar in amount, but the child has less physical writing. Of course, the Christian content is missing in GWG. (I love the character and Bible within R&S!). But, practically speaking, GWG won out.

My ds said, "It's like the Math U See of grammar." He was in tears with other math programs before MUS, so this was a great plug for GWG! It is layed out simply and very straight-forward. He reads the lesson aloud to me and we discuss anything he might not understand. That takes about 5 minutes and he then moves onto the workbook, spending about 15 minutes on it.

With regard to review, I think there's plenty. There's a review at the end of each chapter as well as some sprinkled throughout some of the regular daily lessons.

And for composition, we will be starting IEW soon.

My ds said, "It's like the Math U See of grammar."

I love that!

Tamy Davis, the author, just emailed this to me. She answered my questions perfectly. Thanks to everyone who posted their reviews. They were very helpful as well. Here's what Tammy shared..

Kysha,

Before writing a level of Growing With Grammar, I do months of research to make sure my program will be as thorough as the other homeschool programs available.

There is plenty of review in each level. Previously taught concepts are touched on as needed and new concepts are reviewed throughout the worksheets.

Wiggly Willies...I like that! I have a couple of my own. The lessons are succinct but thorough. I've found that some programs tend to get too wordy when it's unnecessary. I write with my own children in mind...if it took too long for them to complete, they would go on strike.

There are so many writing programs from which to choose...it really depends on your needs. We are currently using Writing Strands, but we have a few friends who are using IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing), Writeshop, and Classical Writing. Those seem to be the top recommended writing programs.

I'm definitely writing Growing With Grammar through the 8th grade. At that point I'll have to decide if I want to continue and write one or two high school level books. Most children, who have had grammar throughout the grammar and logic stage years, don't need grammar in high school...at that point they are focusing on writing. I do know, however, that some don't start a formal grammar program until later.

There are review lessons at the end of each chapter. Some people use these as tests and others use them simply as review.

If your children CAN share a manual (or trade off times using it) then I would suggest just purchasing one complete set (which includes the manual and workbook) and an extra workbook. There's no need to purchase two manuals if you don't have to.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. I'm happy to answer them.

Best regards,

Tamy Davis

Growing With Grammar

www.GrowingWithGrammar.com

We tried R&S for 2nd Grade it was a disaster. My son started throwing a fit each time I would pull out the book. This year, we are using GWG 3. Boy, what a different. We do our Grammar lessons without any moaning and groaning and he even fell in love with diagramming (:confused:). It's just the right amount of work. It usually takes us anywhere from 10-20 min. The constant (sweet and short) built in reviews are perfect for my ds.

Sonja

Homeschooling JUST ONE - ds 9

I like GWG, but I saw it more for independent learners. The child can literally go off to the side and quietly learn this program. My older son uses it. He likes it. It does offer plenty of review.

However, my thought is on the Wiggle Willie issue. My younger son is the Wiggler. I would use maybe Winston Grammar because it is more hands on. Don't you use blocks with the words with that program? It is just a thought. I'm sure whatever you do will be great. I like what you've done so far with your little ones!

Blessing in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

We went through the handbook together, then my son did the worksheets indepently through fourth grade. (However, we've always done all diagramming together on the white board.) This year, in fifth grade, my son reads the handbook independently. But he was a late reader, and only began reading on grade level this year.

I don't assign every problem. I do three to five problems of each section, and if they're done correctly and without fuss, he's done. If he asks questions, I answer, then add more problems if needed to be sure he understands.

I would use maybe Winston Grammar because it is more hands on.

I have looked at WG since it was suggested for Wiggly Willies in Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks but I found that WG didn't cover as much material as Growing with Grammar or Rod and Staff. However, I did love the hands-on approach to grammar. I'm just so picky when it comes to the subjects of reading, writing, and arithmetic. :laugh:

I love what I have learned about Growing with Grammar so far and everyone has really helped me but I'm still afraid to take the plunge. If it is very similar to Rod and Staff, I feel that perhaps I should stay put and just throw in some grammar games to boot. Yet at the same time, I feel that a more gentle approach would work so much better for my twins.

Am I talking myself into it? :001_rolleyes:

Ok, I'm logging off the computer now.

Thanks, everyone!

Edited by sweetbaby

My plan is to use Writing Tales. It covers quite a bit of grammar. Some of the lesson samples have things in them that don't show up in the Scope & Sequence. It is a fun program perfect for wigglies, which is one reason why I am choosing it. At the bottom of this blog you can see the first three days of WT 1 (you would want WT2) and towards the top there is a review.

Then we will do Analytical Grammar. It can be started anytime between 5th and 10th grade, has all the grammar you will ever need, even if you never had it before, and you don't have to do it everyday. Just to throw some more at you! LOL

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Just to update: We are staying with Rod and Staff English for several reasons.

• I don't want to search for another writing program since Rod and Staff covers composition. (I'm too lazy.:D)
  • If GWG is very similar to Rod and Staff as far as content, then why should I change? LOL
  • We do most of our lessons in Rod and Staff orally so shortening the lessons is not a factor.
  • My dc love the Bible related sentences in Rod and Staff.
  • Rod and Staff is just as inexpensive as GWG.
  • If it is working, don't change it. I feel that my twins would benefit from more reinforcement of topics covered than anything. My dc are showing comprehension of the material. I was just concerned about their retaining esp. long term. If we study adjectives, I want them to be able to tell me what an adjective is a month from now.
    We had a few problems with this. Rod and Staff has worksheets available for extra practice and I'm going to purchase some fun grammar games also. Rod and Staff also teaches the same topics each year but at deeper levels.

Basically, it boiled down to how both programs could actually benefit my children and I didn't want to switch from something we have been using only to switch back later.

Remembering the grass isn't always greener on the other side, it' just a green light shining on brown grass. (This is what I remind myself each time I want to try something new.:D)

I want to thank everyone for answering my questions and even the author. I love this forum!:001_wub:

Remembering the grass isn't always greener on the other side, it' just a green light shining on brown grass. (This is what I remind myself each time I want to try something new.:D

You're very wise Kysha. I fell prey to the grass is greener syndrome last year and re-vamped our language arts, history, and science. After a 6-week run of the new stuff, I realized how much we all missed our old way. It was a costly mistake (several hundred dollars!), but we're back to what worked and will stick to the mantra, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :)

Edited by angela&4boys

Just to update: We are staying with Rod and Staff English for several reasons.

• I don't want to search for another writing program since Rod and Staff covers composition. (I'm too lazy.:D)

• If GWG is very similar to Rod and Staff as far as content, then why should I change? LOL

• We do most of our lessons in Rod and Staff orally so shortening the lessons is not a factor.

• My dc love the Bible related sentences in Rod and Staff.

• Rod and Staff is just as inexpensive as GWG.

• If it is working, don't change it. I feel that my twins would benefit from more reinforcement of topics covered than anything. My dc are showing comprehension of the material. I was just concerned about their retaining esp. long term. If we study adjectives, I want them to be able to tell me what an adjective is a month from now.

We had a few problems with this. Rod and Staff has worksheets available for extra practice and I'm going to purchase some fun grammar games also. Rod and Staff also teaches the same topics each year but at deeper levels.

Basically, it boiled down to how both programs could actually benefit my children and I didn't want to switch from something we have been using only to switch back later.

Remembering the grass isn't always greener on the other side, it' just a green light shining on brown grass. (This is what I remind myself each time I want to try something new.:D)

I want to thank everyone for answering my questions and even the author. I love this forum!:001_wub:

We have been using R&S, and also wondered about GWG. For similar reasons I too will not be switching.

I was especially curious that people say their dc can do it independently - but then ... they help their dc with the diagramming - so that killed it for me.

I am not convinced that it is as thorough as R&S.

Also, R&S does more than just grammar, it includes composition, outlining and rewriting paragraphs from the outline.

I am sticking with the tried and true.