Menu

Help with Grammar!

I don't know what to do about grammar. We are using FLL 3 right now with dd9. I don't like it. I wasn't too found of FLL 1/2 either and have dropped it completely with my ds8. I was looking into PLL but I'm not sure what I want either. I need something that clearly explains the concepts of grammar as I don't know much about the subject myself. I like the looks of PLL but I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for. What about Growing with Grammar? Help! I'm tired of curriculum jumping!

are you saying that the FLL3 is not clear in explaining concepts?

I just want to know because I am considering this program for my younger son. I just want to understand because I thought that the FLLs were scripted and pretty clear.

I am using Growing with Grammar with my older son. The concepts are explained and he does the exercises. It is very easy. It is more for an independent learner.

I need to take time and slowly explain information to my younger son. I read Homeschool Reviews and read the sample online of FLL and saw great things. Are you saying that you had difficulty implementing FLL3?

Thanks,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

are you saying that the FLL3 is not clear in explaining concepts?

I just want to know because I am considering this program for my younger son. I just want to understand because I thought that the FLLs were scripted and pretty clear.

I am using Growing with Grammar with my older son. The concepts are explained and he does the exercises. It is very easy. It is more for an independent learner.

I need to take time and slowly explain information to my younger son. I read Homeschool Reviews and read the sample online of FLL and saw great things. Are you saying that you had difficulty implementing FLL3?

Thanks,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

The problem I've had so far with FLL3, is that there isn't even review for my dd9 before we move on to something new. I know I could just stay on that topic before we move on but I want something that is going to give my dd review within so I don't have to go huntly down material for it. I know a lot of people use it and love it, I just don't think it's the right fit for my dd. HTH

Hi Stacy,

I think Growing with Grammar would be a great fit. My ds 9 uses GWG 3. We really like GWG at our house. It's easy to implement, the explanations are short but precise. It does not require any busywork, the writing is "doable". Furthermore, I really appreciate the short constant build in reviews - it helps to "cement" a concept. It takes anywhere between 10 and 20 minutes to do grammar at our house. Since my ds LOVES diagramming (:confused:) I substitue with FLL - BUT only the diagramming. I really like the diagramming part of FLL 3 since it explains the "whys" and "hows" of diagramming. Just my humble oppinion.:).

Sonja

Homeschooling JUST ONE - ds 9

I've tried GWG, EG, FLL and R&S. Like you, I am not strong in grammar and my son is NOT an independent learner. R&S is the perfect fit. Detailed, clear explanations, great oral review and lots of practice. If it's too much practice for your kid, just cut back. They also have worksheets you can add in if your child struggles with a particular concept. Because you teach the lesson and do the oral review you learn too! That was the problem I had with GWG; I didn't learn. Also, my child didn't retain the info. But like I said, he is not an independent learner.

HTH!

I really like G.U.M. (grammar, usage, and mechanics) by Zaner-Bloser. I did not know too much about grammar and we have used this since we started and my ds and I have learned a lot and love it. Ds before he went back to ps said grammar was his favorite subject.

Another R & S vote here. We've used it since completing FLL 1/2, and now my dd10 is fluent in grammar. We sometimes do the work orally, sometimes written, depending on the difficulty or the day. Lots of options for review. At the end of each lesson, after related exercises, there is a section called Review & Practice, and this is what I value about the program. A workbook is also available for additional practice. Sometimes I save these and have her do them several weeks after the lesson as a way to review older concepts in depth.

Benefits for Mom include well-explained concepts, valuable teacher's editions and a price you can't beat.

We use Growing with Grammar (5) and it teaches diagramming. We found that after completing GWG 3, it was appropriate for us to skip GWG 4 because it was a *little* redundant. It would not be redundant for some children. My son loves diagramming too, and GWG has plenty.

My son retains the knowledge he learns in GWG. But, to be fair, he might be learning just as much grammar from his Latin studies. (Neither program has yet taught him indirect objects, though. I'm thinking they are coming up soon in Latin.)

Julie

We use Growing with Grammar (5) and it teaches diagramming. We found that after completing GWG 3, it was appropriate for us to skip GWG 4 because it was a *little* redundant. It would not be redundant for some children. My son loves diagramming too, and GWG has plenty.

My son retains the knowledge he learns in GWG. But, to be fair, he might be learning just as much grammar from his Latin studies. (Neither program has yet taught him indirect objects, though. I'm thinking they are coming up soon in Latin.)

Julie

When does GWG start diagramming.

When does GWG start diagramming.

We started with GWG 3, so I don't know about the earlier levels. But GWG 3 does teach diagramming. We are only in Chapter 2 of GWG 5, so up to this point the diagramming has been similar to that of GWG 3, except for a little more practice diagramming compound subjects and compound predicates.

Hope that helps. If we get to a lesson that is not challenging for my ds, I turn it into a handwriting lesson and have him do it in cursive.

Each level is just a little more sophisticated. For example, GWG 3 might teach how to punctuate both direct and indirect quotations. GWG 5 includes that, but also includes practice in changing the location of the "speaker tag" in the sentence. Beginning, end, and the middle. An example of speaker tag in the middle is "Why do so many people on this message board ask grammar questions," wondered Tom, "when it is such a boring topic?" OK ignore my content there......

One amusing thing about GWG (only amusing if you are famliar with IEW). My son is always commenting about how often he is required to use "banned words" in GWG! (said, went, good......)

Julie