Menu

A fun Latin curriculum/supplement.

christielee7278

A thread about teaching Latin brought up a question for those who successfully teach Latin.

What are some fun Latin curriculums or supplements that would go along with the Prima Latina curriculum? I'm looking for something that would be engaging for the kids. My boys are just not interested in learning Latin! I personally would LOVE to learn Latin, and I want them to learn as well (and eventually maybe Spanish), but I don't want it to be a chore for them.

Any thoughts?

Prima Latina was killing us. Everyone, including myself, hated Latin. I thought a nice gentle approach with the DVDs would be good our first year of homeschooling. Wrong. It was just boring for all of us. So after a few months of flailing with PL, I switched them to LL. Now the kids can't wait to do Latin. I'm still using PL for the prayers since we're Catholic and they need to know those. LL is secular though has both the Classical and Ecclesiastical pronunciations. Not sure you'd want to spend that much to supplement. I think I spent $55 for the online version.

I tried working with my ds13 with a couple of different Latin curricula when he was 8 or 9 and then again when he was 10 but unfortunately, he felt like it was a drudgery--probably my fault. We finally scrapped it and got English from the Roots Up and bought a couple of the Rummy Roots games. Our kids have really enjoyed that and learned a lot of the roots. We've had it for a couple of years and it's great. Here are two websites with flash card and matching interactive activities.

http://www.memorare.com/education/engroots.html

http://quizlet.com/18070/100-greek-a...s-flash-cards/

progress.gif

Laure:001_smile:

I don't know of any supplements, but we started w/Prima Latina and didn't enjoy it--switched to Lively Latin and now it's a favorite. It includes what my boys consider fun supplements-online word games, picture drawing, and history stories.

That sounds like fun. We are doing Prima Latina and my girls are enjoying it since they are picking it up quicker than I am.

Thank you ladies!! I checked out Lively Latin and it does look very interesting! We will probably go with that.

I had forgotten about the Latin book from Usborne and I'll look into the other suggestions as well.

Thank you so much!!! =)

After Lively Latin, they may like "Cambridge Latin Course" which centers around a Roman family living in Pompeii in 79 AD (the same year that Vesuvius, the volcano, erupted.) CLC has a very interesting storyline.