Menu

The Tale of Desperaux, Because of Winn Dixie- feedback? Recommended age level?

Annie Laurie

I read Despereaux to my twins last year, when they were 7 and in first grade. They really enjoyed it, and are looking forward to seeing the movie, which we haven't quite gotten around to, yet. That said, I'm sure it would be a bit more meaningful to someone older.

I haven't read Winn Dixie to them yet - For some reason it struck me that it was a little tougher emotionally. Even though there are lots of people/rats/mice experiencing terrible tragedies in Despereaux, it is done in a melodramatic, larger than life, fairy tale style that suits the medium of cartooning rather well, I'm guessing. Winn Dixie was more realistic. A little too realistic for my kids at the age they are now. (I think they'd be okay with it either at a younger age, when most of that stuff went over their heads, or at a slightly older age, when they'll have better perspective to handle the content.)

Edited by April in NC
Because the typing part of my brain hasn't turned on yet this morning, apparently.

You mentioned that you are running out of things for your dd to read - is this your 6yo ? Also a common "problem" for me :-)

Have you been through all the Sonlight readers - I just keep feeding these to my kids. They also read most of the Sonlight read-alouds themselves.

dd8 has just read Ginger Pye, and ds 6 has just read Trumpet of the Swan.

My eldest ds read Tale of Desperaux and Because of Winnn Dixie when he was 8 or 9.

After the Sonlight books, I also can get most of the the ambleside books out of the library : http://www.amblesideonline.com

My dd read those in 1st, so your dd, who sounds like a strong reader, should be fine. I've never read them myself, so I have no clue if there are issues in them or anything. You might also pursue historical fiction using listings in TQ and the VP catalog. That's how I've kept my dd stocked in books, and many of them she reads over and over, even when it's not the time period we're studying. (Kinda queer when your dd loves a book on Hatshepsut, eh?) :)

You mentioned that you are running out of things for your dd to read - is this your 6yo ? Also a common "problem" for me :-)

Have you been through all the Sonlight readers - I just keep feeding these to my kids. They also read most of the Sonlight read-alouds themselves.

dd8 has just read Ginger Pye, and ds 6 has just read Trumpet of the Swan.

My eldest ds read Tale of Desperaux and Because of Winnn Dixie when he was 8 or 9.

After the Sonlight books, I also can get most of the the ambleside books out of the library : www.amblesideonline.com

Yes, it's my 6 year old. She has gone through all of the SL readers except the 2 advanced readers which I'll get in a couple of months when I have the funds- those would last longer since they're longer. She has gone back through all of the Core K read alouds, reading them to herself this time. I haven't let her read the Core 1 read alouds to herself because we're doing that core right now and I like to save those to read to her and her brothers. I have the books from when my ds did 3+4 and many of those she could read and enjoy, (the less sensitive ones, like Sarah Plain and Tall), but I don't know yet if we'll do core 3 and 4 and don't want her to have read them all already.

I went to the Scholastic Warehouse Sale in December and got her about 20 new books for Christmas, and she read them all within two weeks so I'm thinking that the library makes a lot more sense. :tongue_smilie:

Ambleside is a great idea, I'll check there. She's read all of the D'aulaires books. I just put some books on hold for her at the library from the 1000 Great Books list. She just reads them so fast I feel like I can't keep up! And it's hard because she's pretty sensitive so a lot of books that are at her reading level are too much for her, emotionally. There are a lot of good books out there, it just takes some time to find the ones that are not twaddle and not too scary or sad for her. I'm happy to have this issue though, I have always been a reader and am so thrilled to share the excitement of good books with her.

My dd read those in 1st, so your dd, who sounds like a strong reader, should be fine. I've never read them myself, so I have no clue if there are issues in them or anything. You might also pursue historical fiction using listings in TQ and the VP catalog. That's how I've kept my dd stocked in books, and many of them she reads over and over, even when it's not the time period we're studying. (Kinda queer when your dd loves a book on Hatshepsut, eh?) :)

I just put them on hold. Thanks for those suggestions. That sounds like my dd and her current kick for Greek Myths. :001_smile: