Menu

Using a program such as TOG and inter-library loan

Has anyone used TOG and mostly used ILL for the assorted books? I was thinking of purchasing the multi-unit, multi-year type books and any book used for longer than just a few weeks and ILL the rest. My library takes on average just a few days to get requested books to me and I can keep them for 3 weeks. If I requested a few weeks worth each Monday I should be able to stay on schedule. I am thinking that even at $1 a book I'd still save a ton of $ verses buying the books.

So what do you think? Nuts or not LOL

I have used my Library system to implement TOG 2 - TOG 4 with elementary and rhetoric level. I had no problem.

I am no longer using TOG but still use the libarary sytem for Sonlight.

My library system has a 3 week check out and you are able to recheck out along as no one else request the title. I usually keep the books for 6 weeks.

I try to do a search in our library system the summer preceding whichever year I will be using in TOG . Then I typically will order those books that look like 'must haves' and I am unable to get from the system. I also will purchase the spines that are used for many weeks. I have learned though that even some of those 'must have ' purchases' could have been substituted with another book regarding the same topic.

Alll that to say that it is totally reasonable to use your library for TOG...I rarely ILL though b/c the timing is so tricky and I can't renew ILL books.

HTH,

kathi

I do this successfully with TOG. It's worked great for me. I have to be very careful with the timing though.

I have a set routine of going online and ordering the books I need two weeks before I need them. After the books arrive at my local branch they'll leave them on the reserve shelf for five days. I usually pick them all up on Friday. Since we can check them out for two weeks, that will make them due on the Friday we'll be finished with them. It also gives me two weeks wiggle room if the only copy of a book I need is out.

TOG would not be affordable to me without the library.

I use mostly library books, I usually order my library books online a week before I need them and I have 2 different library systems I can order from. I usually purchase mulit-unit books. Once in a while I will order a book that the libraries don't have. It has all gone very well, until the last 2 weeks, several of the books I needed could not be had...well, the ones that had SAPs for, but I ended up getting other books on the library shelf, and I am actually really happy with how it worked out. I just had the little kids narrate, and I was really pleased with their effort. My 13 year old dd wants to read the Illiad, after reading "Black Ships before troy" and so I just ordered the Norton Anthology TOG has listed for rhetoric students, it's multi unit, so I figure it will be worth the cost.

if you have a good library system, I think it can work very well.

I use mostly library books, I usually order my library books online a week before I need them and I have 2 different library systems I can order from. I usually purchase mulit-unit books. Once in a while I will order a book that the libraries don't have. It has all gone very well, until the last 2 weeks, several of the books I needed could not be had...well, the ones that had SAPs for, but I ended up getting other books on the library shelf, and I am actually really happy with how it worked out. I just had the little kids narrate, and I was really pleased with their effort. My 13 year old dd wants to read the Illiad, after reading "Black Ships before troy" and so I just ordered the Norton Anthology TOG has listed for rhetoric students, it's multi unit, so I figure it will be worth the cost.

if you have a good library system, I think it can work very well.

Very encouraging, thanks!

I just ordered the Norton Anthology TOG has listed for rhetoric students, it's multi unit, so I figure it will be worth the cost.

I bought those, too. Because of the way TOG is set up, it would have been a headache not to (regarding page numbers). It is nice not to have to also search out the literature, too. Well worth the money.