Menu

Suggestions for secular 5th grade history...

hsmamainva

I'm trying to find something for my youngest son to use for history next year.

He'll be in the 5th grade. His reading, spelling, and writing abilities are at a 5th to 6th grade level, so something in the upper elementary range would be perfect for him.

We used SOTW Volumes 1 through 4 from 1st through 4th grades, so he could use anything this coming year (either more study in American history or back to the ancients / middle ages in World history).

I definitely need something secular, or something that could easily be modified.

I've considered Sonlight Core 5, but the price tag is just :blink: -- not possible!

Thanks in advance!!

This is what we are going to do once the SOTW has been exhausted. Unless of course they add more to it; we're just on Vol. 1.

But, I did look into this and loved it - but loved SOTW more (for now, anyway!)

Their science books are really exciting, also.

Have you looked at History Odessey by Pandia Press? They have extensive samples for you to download.

I've considered Sonlight Core 5, but the price tag is just :blink: -- not possible!

SL Core 6 is ancients. You could always buy the Instructor Guide used, then use your library for many of the books.

Another option are to use The World in Ancient Times series by Oxford University Press. They're awesome, but really pricey. You can get some student & teacher guides to go w/ them, but I haven't seen any of those, so I have no idea what they cover.

Also, not a secular option, but there is History Portfolio if your ds likes to do scrapbooking or if you follow a more Charlotte Mason style of teaching. If there are pages you don't want to do, it is easy enough to modify.