Menu

Quick question--hypothyroidism--

Definitely can go wonky at any age. Mine went haywire at 32, months after dd was born. I had been tested several times in years before and it was always normal. Do remember there is a new "normal" limit now which is lower, so you might show as needing a thyroid supplement now even if last lab was normal. If you have symptoms that you think could be thyroid, get it checked, I would be a zombie without my thyroid supplement.

It looks as if you have just had a baby?

If you are hypo, that's probably what did it. Often hypothyroidism is caused by pregnancy. Immediately after birth and for the first six months or so, you will actually be hyper-thyroid (metabolism running way fast), and then it can change dramatically within days. Also, every pregnancy makes it worse. (hormone change--makes sense, the thyroid is part of your endocrine system). So maybe you had it a tiny little bit before last baby (maybe even just scoring on the upper end of normal), but with this baby it has sent you over the edge, so to speak.

It is sooo worth getting checked out. It is a simple fix (one pill a day!) and it will make a dramatic difference in your quality of life. :001_smile:

It looks as if you have just had a baby?

If you are hypo, that's probably what did it. Often hypothyroidism is caused by pregnancy. Immediately after birth and for the first six months or so, you will actually be hyper-thyroid (metabolism running way fast), and then it can change dramatically within days. Also, every pregnancy makes it worse. (hormone change--makes sense, the thyroid is part of your endocrine system). So maybe you had it a tiny little bit before last baby (maybe even just scoring on the upper end of normal), but with this baby it has sent you over the edge, so to speak.

It is sooo worth getting checked out. It is a simple fix (one pill a day!) and it will make a dramatic difference in your quality of life. :001_smile:

Yes, baby just turned 5mos, & he was part 2 of a back-to-back pg, in which I gained...more wt than could really be imagined. I don't think I've been hyper-thyroidal, though, or else I might have lost some of this wt! :glare: :lol:

Anyway, there have just been a few too many minor things cropping up to not pause & wonder, iykwim. Dh is looking for a job, though, so I'll have to wait for ins. In the meantime, maybe the thought that something could be wrong will help. I usually can't stand to sleep too much--I'm afraid of missing out & wasting time. I *never* nap. And for the last week or so, I've been dragging. Today I needed a nap by 9AM, & I slept for 3 hrs. I'm not sure I've done that in my whole life!

Thanks, guys, for the info! Y'all are so much better than google. :001_smile:

Your thyroid can run amok at any time in your life, although stress (incl. pregnancy) may trigger it. I became permanently hypothyroid after my 5th child. Often hypothyroidism is transient after childbirth (rectifying without intervention after a few months).

It's worth getting checked out. The thyroid hormone is in the driver's seat of so many of our body's processes - you'll just start losing energy...

Also, don't let some doc say "you're just tired because you have so many kids." I had one tell me that for several months until I demanded a test! Then he was quite apologetic.

About.com's thyroid site is excellent.

Finally - there may be a food link. My husband is celiac (gluten intolerant) and all 7 of my kids exhibit some level of sensitivity from extreme to mild. I recently realized that when I am eating gluten free (as our whole household is), my thyroid does better. I ate some wheat at Thanksgiving, and suffered a 2 week thyroid storm afterword. Since this is not the first time that has happened, I'm going to make an unscientific assumption that the two are related for me and just eat gluten free with the rest of my family.

I developed hypothyroidism after our second child was born. I was told it was PPD, that it was becausing I had a nursing baby, that I was depressed because we had just moved away from our families (we were in Okinawa), etc. I even had my thyroid levels tested but, because they came out on the high end of normal, my doctor felt it wasn't a problem. In fact, "normal" is different for everyone and, just because you test on the borderline, it doesn't mean you're not having symptoms.

In fact, "normal" is different for everyone and, just because you test on the borderline, it doesn't mean you're not having symptoms.

This is very important! It took me years to get a diagnosis because my numbers looked "normal." Also, a full panel gives a better picture than just a TSH test. My TSH has always been within "normal" levels, but my other numbers were wonky.

Another thing ... For most people, diagnosis, prescription, daily pill equals all better. For those "special" people (that includes me), it can be more complicated than that. Getting the right level where the symptoms disappear takes time and experimentation with the dose. For many, synthetic thyroid hormone (synthroid, levoxyl) work just fine. Others may need a natural source (Armour, Westthroid - porcine derived thyroid hormone.) My point is that if your tests indicate hypothyroidism and the treatment is not working, don't hesitate to look into other options.

Yes, baby just turned 5mos, & he was part 2 of a back-to-back pg, in which I gained...more wt than could really be imagined. I don't think I've been hyper-thyroidal, though, or else I might have lost some of this wt! :glare: :lol:

Anyway, there have just been a few too many minor things cropping up to not pause & wonder, iykwim. Dh is looking for a job, though, so I'll have to wait for ins. In the meantime, maybe the thought that something could be wrong will help. I usually can't stand to sleep too much--I'm afraid of missing out & wasting time. I *never* nap. And for the last week or so, I've been dragging. Today I needed a nap by 9AM, & I slept for 3 hrs. I'm not sure I've done that in my whole life!

Thanks, guys, for the info! Y'all are so much better than google. :001_smile:

My 4th born did my thyroid in. He also caused my striaght hair to become wavy while in the womb. I'm not sure it's a coincidence he's also the child that uses about 75% of our parenting energy :lol:.

Anyway, yes, get retested when you can.

If you've been tested for this (& the test was negative), could you develop the disease later, or are you home free?

My mom was dx'd about 10 yrs ago, & she wanted me to get tested, too. Lately I've had some things going on that have made me wonder.

Yes, you can develop hypothyroidism at any time. Also, the levels considered normal have changed. Here's a link about the new norms. http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsforthyroid/a/labs2003.htm