Menu

Help!! I need ideas for dinner tonight. I have ground beef thawed. Anyone?

Here's one I make a lot. Brown the ground beef with onion powder (you can use real onions if you like it). Put in in the bottom of a casserole dish. Make mashed potatoes and spread on top. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Bake until cheese is melted. My crew likes this, especially the kids.

HTH!

Do you have corn? Shepherd's Pie?

Polenta? You could make 30 Minute Skillet Tamale Pie (Rachel Ray) (maybe it's 15 minute... it's never done in either at my house) Just add the stuff you have - I never make it the same way twice.

Meatloaf? Burritos?

Porcupine meatballs. I don't have the exact recipe, but you can find it here if you search. I found the recipe here in April. Or poor mans stroganoff. You just need beef broth, onions, mushrooms, white wine wocestor(sp?) sauce and of course sour cream. Cook it up and and serve over egg noodles.

Crack a large egg into a large mixing bowl. Mix it with a fork just enough so that the yolk and white are indistinguishable. Add the same volume of milk to the bowl. Sprinkle the liquid heavily with dried minced onion. Lots is good.

Make two pieces of toast, medium light. Cut off the crusts. Tear the toast into 1/2 inch squares and put into the milk.

Put the ground beef in, on top of the milk and stuff. This is the right balance of liquid for about 1 1/4 lbs of meat.

Sprinkle liberally with Old Hickory Smoked Salt. Sprinkle lightly with Beau Monde Seasoning Salt, Lawrey's Seasoned Salt, and garlic powder.

Mix thoroughly by hand. (That means with your hands.)

Shape into patties.

Cook in a big frying pan. Non-stick is good. I make mine about an inch thick, and cook them for about 8 minutes on the first side, and 4 on the second, over a medium flame. I don't usually use fat to fry them. If they are lean ground beef, they will generate their own fat--I just spray the pan with Pam briefly when it's hot. If they are ground sirloin, you might need to use a little olive oil as well.

They are SO GOOD. I serve them with chopped red onion, and French's boring old mustard. And a salad or some tomatoes.