Menu

I need a LA curriculum

Eleni

:iagree:

I would consider Peace Hill Press books from the Wise and Bauer. :) I like the grammar book and she has new writing materials now.

My ds8 is behind in reading, but does well in spelling, writing and grammar. Go figure.

After trying three other spelling programs, I love Natural Speller by Kathryne Stout (works for grades 1-12). NS works for us b/c it has a method to the word lists--not random words to memorize. It also has tips for grammar, usage, punctuation, etc. I'm not completely happy with Writing Strands, but I have used it a little bit. I usually make my own writing assignments, and I'm looking for something to kick it up a notch for next year. And I agree that 1st Language Lessons for the Well-trained Mind is great for grammar. Even if you haven't done any formal grammar curriculum, you can begin with level 3. I like using the text and workbook (less work for me), but you can get by with just the text easily. Check out my blog--my last post was about this topic:)

When my son was at this stage someone suggested he was mildly dsylexic. Almost four years later we have learned he is dysgraphic.

I am, of course, not saying your dc has this, but it is much more common than people know. It is also easy to correct if you know what to do.:)

Dysgraphia ...(quote from WIKIpedia) "is a deficiency in the ability to write, regardless of the ability to read, not due to intellectual impairment. People with dysgraphia usually can write on some level, but often lack co-ordination, and may find other fine motor tasks such as tying shoes difficult. It often does not affect all fine motor skills. They can also lack basic spelling skills (having difficulties with p,q,b,d), and often will write the wrong word when trying to formulate thoughts (on paper). In childhood, the disorder generally emerges when they are first introduced to writing. They make inappropriately sized and spaced letters, or write wrong or misspelled words despite thorough instruction."

My son is also very perfectionistic and it makes things difficult. He reads wonderfully now and comprehends deeply. He is now trying to play catch up with writing and spelling. I wish I had known sooner.

Dianne Craft offers a handout in which they form the letters correctly to correct the right/left brain functions. He did this daily for awhile- and it will fill the gap between the right/left brain and your dc will not struggle so dearly as a result.

Now I watch to make sure he forms the letters correctly as we use Megawords and Sequential Spelling.

Megawords has helped the most and does have some vocab built in.

HTH,

Kathy

Take a look at All About Spelling & see if it is a fit for you. It is great for a perfectionist because it introduces the rules first, and lets them try words with tiles before they have to write them. It also used dictation so that they are reviewing the words & remembering them instead of just memorizing for a list. And I've found the dictation really helps with stamina for writing and as a transition to more independent writing (even before we tried AAS). Anyway, take a look & see what you think. I also wrote more about it on my blog. Merry :-)

For an 8yo boy who is reading on grade level but is behind when it comes to spelling, writing, etc. Oh..and has a strong streak of perfectionism and hates making mistakes. :glare:

What do you suggest??? :001_smile:

I am using AAS (All About Spelling), which would cover spelling, and phonics. For the rest of our LA I use WWE and FLL.

Heather