Menu

S/O Math Poll: Singapore

Okay ladies. Singapore seems to winning over there. Can I be honest and say that Singapore freaks me out! For me personally, all the stuff that they teach- the word problems, the "thinking" is all the stuff that *I* never grasped in school. Looking at their K book loses me. (How sad is that?) So, on one hand, I'd love to teach my kids what I struggled with, but on the other hand, what good will it be if I don't understand and can't teach it myself?!?

I just checked out the BJU (the other highly recommended) and it looks way more up *my* alley. For those that supplement with Singapore, what exactly do you supplement with (the workbooks?) and is it okay to just throw them in without doing the actual Singapore lessons first?

I know that everyone is recommending teaching to the individual child, however, I'd really like my kids to get both sides of the coin. I prefer the way I was taught (Abeka) but I wish that I had had stronger "thinking" skills practice, as well. I don't want to flop around math programs once we get going here.

As a side note - dh does not like the look of MUS and it isn't an option. (B/C I know someone will recommend it. ;) )

I think that your excitement and passion for the subject is just as important as the quality of the curriculum you choose. If you feel that Singapore is way too out there for you and you know you won't be comfortable using it then you will communicate your fear of math to your kids. However, I also think that it is entirely possible (and I know from experience) to learn alongside your children with Singapore and to develop your own interest and passion in math and pass that on to your children instead.

Using Singapore has greatly increased my own understanding of math. I always did quite well with math in school and it wasn't until working through Singapore that I realized how little I actually understood of the concepts. What a wake up call.

The instructor's guides for Singapore are comprehensive and clear and the text clearly illustrates the concepts presented. If you're starting with K or grade 1 you should have no trouble learning alongside your kids provided that you're motivated to do so and are excited about the prospect.

From my experience, Singapore has been worth it. I have gained an appreciation and understanding of math that I never had before. I also see that appreciation and understanding developing in my children. My daughter used Singapore 1A to 6B, NEM 1 and is currently working through NEM 2 while also doing some supplemental work with a mentor. My second child is working through Singapore 3A.

Thanks, Sarah - that was quite encouraging.

For some reason I always thought Singapore was cheap...looking at their website it actually looks quite pricey - you but the textbook, the workbook and the instructor's guides, right?

Monica,

I will second what Sarah said. The HIG's are great! And the gal who wrote them is moderator over on the singapore.com forums and she answers additional questions!! :D

I personally work through every book before my kids. Now I admit I do well in math, but it was more to my ability to mindlessly accept the formula and plug numbers into it. It wasn't because I really "got" what was going on most the time, KWIM?

You could give Singapore a try, then fall back to BJU. While I haven't looked at BJU I do know that there are tons of math kids in the US who haven't used Singapore, so just because you might not use that doesn't mean your kids won't do well with math.

Heather

Math freaks me out too!:tongue_smilie: That's why I use Saxon, because it's scripted and it gives me confidence that I am actually "teaching" the concept. I have taught Saxon 1, and 2. We do each lesson by the book, but we only do side A of the worksheet, then a lesson in Singapore but we do the grade down. For example, Saxon 1 is done with Singapore Early Bird, Saxon 2 is done with Singapore 1, etc.

HTH

I agree that the Home Instructor Guides are extremely helpful. I know how to DO math, but I don't really know how to teach elementary level math, and the HIG's have shown me how to teach the concepts. I just read through the next day's lesson in the HIG the night before. If you go with the US Edition, the program isn't very expensive (IMO). The HIG's are about $16 from Rainbow Resource, and the texts/workbook/supplemental books are about $8.

If you just want to supplement another program I'd go with the Intensive Practice or Challenging Word Problems books.

I agree that the Home Instructor Guides are extremely helpful. I know how to DO math, but I don't really know how to teach elementary level math, and the HIG's have shown me how to teach the concepts. I just read through the next day's lesson in the HIG the night before. If you go with the US Edition, the program isn't very expensive (IMO). The HIG's are about $16 from Rainbow Resource, and the texts/workbook/supplemental books are about $8.

If you just want to supplement another program I'd go with the Intensive Practice or Challenging Word Problems books.

You guys have almost convinced me to try this next year! :)

Even though we will have completed Saxon K, I think we would need to be in Singapore Earlybird next year. So, do I need to buy the textbooks AND the workbooks? Also, I thought everything was about $9, too, but it looks like maybe everyone's raised their prices recently - the workbooks seem to be $13 everywhere. Also, do I need the teacher's guide? (Remember, I AM math challenged!) There doesn't look like there's a HIG for that age and the TM are $46 EACH (A & B!)

So, I'd like to try it next year, but if I have to spend almost $150, dh might now go for that.....do I still need to buy any manipulatives/flashcards????

Thank you all for your help & encouragement!!!

ETA: RR has workbooks for $13 & textbooks for $21

Ok now that you are really considering it let's get into some details.

In Singapore children do not start the primary books (1A, 1B) until after they have turned 7. Thus even the Singapore Math website lists an advanced student as doing 1A and 1B for first grade. An average student would do just 1A and then do 1B and 2A for 2nd grade. But there is enough wiggle room in the program to be an entire year behind the numbered levels, because if you use Singapore at grade level you will start Algebra in 7th instead of 8th. Being a year behind just means you will be on a normal US schedule. :D

For the EarlyBird series the instructions are on each page. Their are 4 books total. There are no Home Instructor Guides for this level.

Once you do start the Primary books at minimum you need the:

Home Instructors Guide-teaching helps, schedule, answers, ect..

Textbook-this demonstrates the concepts being learned

Workbook-this is where you practice the concepts

Each number level have an A and a B book for each of the above.

Additional practice can be found by buying the (optional):

Word Problem books (one per number level)-These are on the same difficult level as the same number workbooks, but all word problems.

Intensive Practice (IP) books (comes in an A and B book for each number level)-these take the concepts learned in the workbooks and go one step farther in difficulty. Generally I use IP books a number below the workbooks we are on. So when you do workbook 3A you would do IP 2A or lower.

I buy all my books from SL because they have cheaper shipping ($5 for media under $50 I think it is free for media over $50 and free first class for orders over $100). They have the HIG's at $16.49, the Textbooks at $9 and the Workbooks for $8.

Heather

In Singapore children do not start the primary books (1A, 1B) until after they have turned 7. Thus even the Singapore Math website lists an advanced student as doing 1A and 1B for first grade. An average student would do just 1A and then do 1B and 2A for 2nd grade. But there is enough wiggle room in the program to be an entire year behind the numbered levels, because if you use Singapore at grade level you will start Algebra in 7th instead of 8th. Being a year behind just means you will be on a normal US schedule. :D

So to clarify, are you saying that one would stretch 1A over an entire year? Since we are WAY ahead in our math (as of right now), I'd like to kind of slow down, so if we could do that, it would be nice. (I think we'll do the earlybird next year and would start the Primary 1A the following year.)

For the EarlyBird series the instructions are on each page. Their are 4 books total. There are no Home Instructor Guides for this level.

4 books - 2 textbooks & 2 workbooks, right?

I think I get the rest...thanks, Heather!

So to clarify, are you saying that one would stretch 1A over an entire year? Since we are WAY ahead in our math (as of right now), I'd like to kind of slow down, so if we could do that, it would be nice. (I think we'll do the earlybird next year and would start the Primary 1A the following year.)

4 books - 2 textbooks & 2 workbooks, right?

I think I get the rest...thanks, Heather!

If not ask again when you are ready! :D

Yes you can use just the EarlyBird and 1A texts for 1st grade next year.

Ack! They went and changed the EarlyBird program. Grrr.... It used to be just ONE book and they had levels 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B. Now it appears there is a workbook, text and teacher guide. Though really I can't imagine needing the teacher guide, especially at almost $50 each (there are two) :001_huh: Seriously I looked at the samples of both the text and workbook and it is not like it is rocket science. The one page was circle the group that has more. Like I need a teacher guide to explain that one, LOL!

I would just buy the texts and the workbooks. But when I first started Singapore I was nervous and bought the 1A and 1B Teacher guides even through everyone told me I didn't need them. :D

Heather

No kidding. Thanks, I am looking at the Standards Edition right now.

Yea, she is right. The Standard Version I belive was made for California-to meet their standards. RR does have the older books that are like the ones I have that are just a single text:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1231799511-99020&subject=10&category=2130

Those are the four texts I own. Bonus, the price is MUCH cheaper. :D

Heather

Singapore scared me at first too...for the same reasons that it scared you. However, after trying and failing with other curriculums, I decided to try it. It has been a GODSEND to our family. Both of my kids are thriving with it. My oldest son is doing better in math than I ever did and my youngest is about to start 1A and just turned 5 in Sept.

I would recommend, if starting with a younger child, to start with Singapore Earlybird. It helped me and my ds BOTH grasp the number bonds and the way that Singapore works (concrete, pictoral, abstract). I would never even consider another math program after trying Singapore.

Oh and no, it is NOT cheap...not after you buy both levels for the year - and with the HIG, CWP, IP for both A and B, EP, and so on. Nope. Not cheap at all.

ETA: We are using the standards Ed. of Singapore Earlybird B.

And will they learn their math facts really well? Do you need to supplement with speed drills?

Speed drills aren't part of the workbooks or texts but they are parts of the wider programs as it's instituted in schools. We've certainly done it.

I just want to say as well that no one should their their fear or lack of confidence stand in the way of using Singapore. In fact, what a great reason to use it! I've learned almost as much as my daughter and got a lot of joy out of finally understanding things I didn't previously "get".

I don't think I'd ever use Singapore as a supplement. It definitely deserves to be the core. I've supplemented it with the Key to books and Calculadder but it really is of great value when it's the first and primary means of showing a child (or a parent!) a new skill or concept.

This is how it worked for us... I don't know that this is how it's "supposed" to go, but this is what ended up happening for all 3 kids...

They started Earlybird (the old editions) 1A sometime around 3.5 or 4 and we did them when the mood struck, and still got through them fairly quickly (the older editions are fairly slim - the Standards ones are fatter, so that may be harder to do). Then all my kids ended up going through and finishing Primary 1A in a similar fashion sometime during the K year, so entering 1st grade, they were starting 1B. 1B always took us the whole 1st grade year - I think it's because I felt like we were "ahead", why rush it?

By 2nd grade, we buckled down and since have always gotten both A/B done without a problem. But I kind of like how it turned out - it was a no-pressure start.

We have the standards edition! I am using the textbooks and workbooks. You don't really need the workbooks, but if your son likes doing pasting activities he will probably enjoy it.

I bought the first teacher's guide and it was mostly a waste of money. Nearly everything in there was geared toward a group/classroom setting. The textbook actually has instructions at the bottom of each page and so far they have been enough for me.

I also bought the power K workbook. I've been copying pages from it for dd to do after we have covered the related topic in the EB books. It's slowing us down a little, which is good - at the rate we're going we'll be done with all of our EB math in 10 weeks.

You can do it!! :D

As a side note - dh does not like the look of MUS and it isn't an option. (B/C I know someone will recommend it. ;) )

:lol:

Ok, Monica... so guess what?!

I have to tell you that I was feeling a bit unsure :001_unsure: and confused :confused: as to what I/we are going to do with regards to supplementing Saxon in the hopes of creating a well rounded math program. So I discussed it with my dh this evening and showed him our options (MUS or Singapore). I left him to study a bit more in depth on his own as I went to start cooking dinner. He came into the kitchen a while later and said, "Well, I say no way to MUS, but Singapore looks great for what you/we want to do." I have to admit that my first reaction was... :glare: but after further discussion...:gnorsi: and off I went to do some more planning (after dinner of course). LOL!

BTW, I shared with my dh your comments in this thread about your dh not liking the look of MUS either and you know what he said?! "It sounds like she has a pretty smart husband too!" LOL! I'm so glad we have our husbands to help us see the light! ;) ( I hope this doesn't offend anyone using MUS as I know that these opinions aren't shared by everyone.)