Menu

etiquette question of the day...

My mother is German. Scraping one's fork on one's teeth is not a cultural activity. The way Germans handle their silverware is different than we do -- they use the Continental style. I had to read about the American style to figure out how to do it properly. The zigzagging referred to in the excerpt below drives me nuts.

"There are two styles of eating, Continental and American. In the Continental style, which is more practical, the knife (for right handed folks) is kept in the right hand and the fork in the left, with no switching unlike the zigzag practice of the American style where the fork is changed from the left hand to the right after cutting food.

The left hand is usually kept off the table and in your lap during American style dining, except when it's being used to hold the fork during the cutting of food.

In the Continental style the fork is held in the left hand with the tines down; the back of the fork up and the left index finger is placed on the back of the fork, low, for stability. This works for meat and other foods that can be pierced. For other foods (mashed potatoes, etc.) the fork is held in the same manner and the food is placed on the back of the fork and transferred to your mouth.

Both knife and fork are held while you chew although you can rest them on the plate.

The Continental, which most people consider old world is actually newer! It was introduced by the British around 1880, but Americans were trying to instill manners on their frontiersmen. The new dining methods were rejected as disruptive in the middle of this teaching process. American society felt it would diminish respect for the strict rules that were being established to remove the barbarian image."

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Lifestyle/proper_table_manners.htm

Edited by RoughCollie

I am extremely right-handed. If I tried to eat with my fork in my left hand I would probably stab myself in the eye. :D

Having said that...I can't stand people who make a lot of noise when they eat...chewing with mouth open, smacking sounds, loud gulping... ewwwww.

My FIL picks his teeth with his fingernail at the table. I feel a little faint just thinking about how disgusting that is.

Do you consider it bad etiquette/rude to scrap your fork with your teeth every time you take a bite of food?

We have a girl from Germany visiting us who eats this way, and although it drives me crazy, I'm wondering if it's a cultural thing.

No, it is not a cultural thing. It is a personal habit.

Edited to say I use the continental style, well, because I was born and bred in Spain. I have also lived in the UK and made friendships with many people of many different nationalities.

I would not be able to eat with her. I can't stand the sound of normal eating noises, scraping of forks or spoon on teeth or even on dishes drives me up the wall. My kids do this occasionally but I am after them for it, it usually happens as a result of shovelling the food in rather than slowing down and enjoying the meal.

I try not to let it bother me--I see it as a person's bad habit (and I probably have a couple of those)--but I can't help but cringe when I hear it and think of that person's poor teeth! I believe I do remember reading about it once in an old etiquette book--obviously not a proper thing to do. And for the record, having hosted different friends from Germany on more than one occasion, I can say there was never any teeth-scraping at the table. ;)