Menu

Any opinions on Classical Conversations??

Virginia Heather

We love CC. It is good for our family. I direct a program in Oregon. For my 4 year old, although he would have been able to learn all of the information, he would not have been able to do the program due to his energy level. He was 5 in July and though he loves it...it's almost to much for him now.

It's taken my husband from disbelief of homeschooling...to belief. He really loves what the children are learning.

Carrie:-)

For us it is great for now. DD age 5 loves spending the time every week with the same kids and "doing school". However if we had a co op that was cheaper and closer that would also work for her.

The work is too much right now, but I only concentrate on what I think is important at her age. The nice thing is even though we are not actively memorizing some of the work, it still sinks in.

I love that it includes art practical and theory as well as music practical and theory. At DD's age these are great introduction lessons to these subjects.

That said, I am not sure that I will do it again next year. If we find a co op or group that meets weekly, I may forgo the classes and buy the relevant CD that relates to the work we are studying.

I am a first year CC member. Two of my children are in Foundations. I was vapprehensive at firrst- I like to keep things simple, and have never done any type of group schooling. I constantly evaluate it for our family. For us, it seems to be wrking exceptionallly well. Both in theory and reality it works for us. Classical education is suppose to have memory work at the core of the grammar stage. I realized last year that although my children had great curriculum, they did not have a memory program. I did not feel they left the school table with the material in their brains that I wanted them to retain. That is when I learned of a CC group starting up in our area. Yes, I have restructured our homeschool curriculum so that it is in line w/ CC. That way, the memory work has a broader context and meaning for the kiddos. I like that CC requires a parent to participate and be present- they recognize that the parent is the instructor for the child. It is rigorous, but not unreasonably so. My kids love it. We h ave really quality people in our program, and it is great for my kids to interact with them. I have not seen or thought of a downside or negative to CC.

The good: We are enjoying it this year. I am a tutor and that is fun as well. The thing I like most about it is that is forces some of the stuff I really believe in(really I do) but never seem to get around to. Things like: memory work, art, music appreciation.

The bad: Well it isn't so much bad but you do re-evaluate your cirriculum choices. I am a hard core (ok so maybe more semi-hard core) WTM user. Basically if SWB says to do/use it, I do. Plus I am in a different history cycle. One dd is in the essentials program and I also use Rod & Staff grammar. I have had to work things so that she is not overwhelmed with too much work. KWIM? I plan on doing this next year and quite frankly will probably still work at home on a different cycle b/c I like what I am doing at home. I know some who have changed their entire cirriculum so that it more closely matches CC and that's fine to do. Might even be the best thing to do. But I am comfortable.

The ugly: I don't think there is a real ugly here. It is a franchise and thus a business. It can also seem a bit bureaucratic, but that is part of what makes it what it is a great stylized program that everyone who is participating around the country is doing. As a result there are some constraints to the program, but I've not seen anything unreasonable.

Sorry this is so long. I really wanted to give you a feel for it. On one last note, I have a 2yr old dd who walks around the house singing the history sentences. My 5 & 6 year old are doing ancient history this year and it is wonderful to start a chaptere of SOTW about Amenhotep IV and have them remember him from the timeline they have memorized. Many people will debate the value of rote learning. Some will say memorization only works in the context of what they are learning at that moment. For examply if your child is learning about Rome then by all means teach them the Emperors, but not just as a separate list. Well I think the answere is somewhere in between and having these "pegs" as they are called could never be a bad thing.

I consider it worth the $ and hope I have been of assistance in your decision.