Menu

Fallacy Detective and Logic Toolbox-What ages?

Karie

Rather than judging by age I would go by ability. That being said 5th or 6th grade if your child is able to reason through ideas. I haven't come across anyone that agrees with me, but I prefer TTB first then FD. TTB goes through the steps of reasoning through arguments and also covers the scientific method. I think it sets down a good foundation.

I am sure that she could have managed it earlier, but we just didn't get to it. (I prioritized math over logic while she was catching up, so that's why we started lateish.)

She loves it, mostly because it gives her more arguments to use against me. "That's a red herring, Mom!" is one of her favorites. I love it.

DH says, "Did you know this stuff before? What you are teaching her is really, really obscure." I just smile.

I'm using them with a sixth grader, next year. I haven't worked out my plan for them yet, but I asked on the boards about them last year and was told that I could cover both in a year, so I'm doing both of them. I believe I was told Thinking Toolbox first, but I'll have to search old posts or look through the books to recall more precisely....

The books themselves say ages 13 and above. I think there is a tendency for people to try and do things- particularly "logic stage" things- too early. That being said, we did them when my kids were about 11 and 12. In retrospect....if people want to do them before a more formal or in depth logic program- such as Art of Argument or Traditional Logic- it would probably be practical to do them around age 11 or 12. However, if these are all the logic the kids are going to get- waiting till a bit later may mean they get more out of them. Some of the topics aredefinitely for more mature minds. Depends on the kids. But I know my kids would have got more out of them if I had waited- even though they could technically do them, understand them etc, earlier.

Rather than judging by age I would go by ability. That being said 5th or 6th grade if your child is able to reason through ideas. I haven't come across anyone that agrees with me, but I prefer TTB first then FD. TTB goes through the steps of reasoning through arguments and also covers the scientific method. I think it sets down a good foundation.

I agree with you:iagree:

That's the order I used with my 13yos this year, and I believe this was just about the ideal age for these books.

My older boys used FD first because TT hadn't been released yet. I preferred the reverse order.:001_smile:

I agree with you:iagree:

That's the order I used with my 13yos this year, and I believe this was just about the ideal age for these books.

My older boys used FD first because TT hadn't been released yet. I preferred the reverse order.:001_smile:

Agreeing also as to book order. Ds just-turned-12 worked through TTB this past fall; I'll wait until next year for Fallacy Detective.

HTH,

Lisa