Menu

Teaching art to kids...

stephanie

We do art projects, picture studies, and studying artists, but I have never actually taught my dc how to draw. I was just wondering how many of you do it, if it's necessary if you already have a packed schedule, and if so what do you use? I would like to do something informally and easy to do. Thanks!

I have not done a whole lot of actual fine art teaching to the kids. They still need to do some figuring out on their own. A lot of what is important in drawing is understanding what is being drawn! A sketch book is an excellent way for kids to keep track of the visual world that interests them. Many if not most of the great artists spent a great deal of time sketching.

Make sure kids have plentyof opportunities to draw, and also keep an eye out for sales on art supplies. If you have room, keep the supplies on hand. Let them experiment. Make sure you show them great art, read lots of bios on great artists, and go to museums!!!!!!!

the jr. high books, and they are doing a decent job teaching us how to draw. At the very least, they are teaching the basic concepts of art & the skill of observation & copying. We are still in book 1, which is drawing, and book 2 covers color (using colored inks I think). I love Draw Write Now when our children were younger - GREAT for getting pictures onto paper & coloring skills. As for painting, our dd took private watercolor lessons for a few years, but she prefers acrylics (brighter colors!). She does a lot of modeling after other artists, which is a valuable skill just like imitating good writers :0)

We also did Drawing w/ Children for awhile, but I think I was the one who lost interest after awhile. I still have the book & may pick it up again some day as I think it has a lot of value, but for now we're sticking w/ AP.

HTH,

Shannon

We use the Waldorf method of drawing. Instead of doing outlines you are supposed to look at the object and then do shading as if you are touching the object.

The pictures I draw are softer.

For nature drawing I have Drawing From the Book of Nature by Dennis Klocek, New Eyes for Plants, and I am wanting the book Drawing with your Four to Eleven Year Old by Donna Simmons. We use block crayons for this.

My dc also have lots of books on line drawing and they use colored pencils for those.

We also do watercolor and generally I just let them create on their own and they come up with some lovely pictures and also some water scribbles.

We use playdough instead of clay but when they are ready for clay there are a lot of nice ones out there that you can dry in the oven.

Hope this helps.:)

My children are always drawing and creating things, so there's a natural desire among children to express themselves. I do think art is important because it's another form of communication that's not so abstract as writing, especially for those children who have a hard time putting their thoughts into words.

Something easy and simple that I use is The Drawing Textbook by Bruce McIntyre. Another resource is the Complete-a-Sketch series. In this series a picture of the completed drawing is shown in the upper left hand corner, and the child is presented with an incomplete drawing on the page that he has to complete to match the completed picture.

Lamb's Book of Art (3rd-6th) by Barry Stebbing presents lessons that are short and easy to follow. It covers a broader perspective such as color, drawing, perspective, cartooning, lettering, portraits, etc...

This was recommended to me last year from many on this board. We have all loved it. My older girls are using it, and they spend about 15 minutes daily working through the book. I assign them one chapter to do a week, and they work on it independently. For our already packed schedule, this has worked great, and they have been learning to draw! All I do is look at their drawings to make sure they are practicing, and praise them!

We are using that this year. While I'm not crazy about the Lifepacs set up we are enjoying Thomas Kinkade as a teacher. I am a fairly good artist, but wasn't sure how to teach the basics to a 10-year-old. This program is doing just that. Art is the one subject he begs to work on.

We are going to finish up the program and at my son's request we are moving into a Walter Foster book on using colored pencils. This one will cover color theory as well.

Donnayoung.org has some art lesson on her website as well.