Menu

Switching from R&S English...where to go?

My dd14 is currently in R&S English 7. She is a young 9th grader and she's my aspie. Though she is learning, she is really getting bogged down and more than a little frustrated. For the first time I am considering switching English programs. English is her least favorite subject. She has done very well on her yearly tests so she is retaining, but the frustration factor is getting to the point where I'm afraid it will keep her from retaining.

I would like something that she could open and go with that is not going to be too time consuming or super wordy but still has clear, concise explanations. Does that make any sense?? Do you have any recommendations for me or any experiences switching from R&S to another grammar program in high school?

Thanks so much.

Do you think it would be ok to let grammar go? She is behind in writing, as most aspies are, and I have to admit that I did think about spending the rest of the year on writing. It is such a tough decision for me. I value your imput since you've "been there, done that." :001_smile:

If English is your dd's least favorite subject and since she's already in R&S 7, I'd consider tossing R&S aside and letting her complete her grammar studies with a 1-vol text: Warriner's English Grammar and Composition - Third Course. emmanuelbooks.com sells it. All you'd need to purchase:

Gently used text- $20

Answer key- $5

Your dd could do this 1 vol text and be done with grammar studies.

If you want her to continue doing yearly grammar through high school, consider having her do the following texts in this order:

Voyages in English, gr 7 (also from emmanuelbooks.com)

Voyages in English, gr 8

Warriner's English Grammar and Composition - Third Course

But Warriner's would be a good stand alone text to use even without going through Voyages beforehand.

Edited by Anna

Thank you so much. I was really leaning toward focusing on writing. I feel more confident after your replies. I would like her to keep the facts in her head, so I will check the courses recommended, but only for review purposes. She's gonna love you all:D

Thank you so much. I was really leaning toward focusing on writing. I feel more confident after your replies. I would like her to keep the facts in her head, so I will check the courses recommended, but only for review purposes. She's gonna love you all:D

I quit grammar after 8th grade or R&S 7. In high school I do a unit of grammar using Warriner's. If I were you, I'd skip grammar and return later to do a overall review sometime in high school.

I, too, suggest you move on to writing and lit and drop the grammar. Return later if you want to.

Jean

Winston Grammar is a quick way to keep up those grammar skills so you can spend more time writing. We finished R&S 9 and felt we were ready for something less intense, but not ready to completely drop it. We do two lessons a week and spend about 15 minutes on each lesson.

I would recommend either the RS handbook or Our Mother Tongue for review. Both are light-ish reminders rather than full on teaching books, I would say. But they are each quite thorough.

The advantage to the RS Handbook is that it is the culmination of all that she has learned so far.

The advantage to Our Mother Tongue is that it has a slightly different slant on much the same material.

In either case, I would think that taking a break to really bear down on writing would be a great choice at this point.

Analytical Grammar for her grammar (it set up to be done for a few weeks or seasons as the writer calls them and then set aside and reviewed once a week with a review sheet) and IEW for her writing. I can't say enough about what it has done for my son's writing ability. :)

I just wanted to say thank you for all your help and suggestions. I am going to concentrate on writing till the end of this year and throw in some R&S worksheets I have here for review. I'll evaluate at the end of the year and see if we need an English program next year.

My dd14 is currently in R&S English 7. She is a young 9th grader and she's my aspie. Though she is learning, she is really getting bogged down and more than a little frustrated. For the first time I am considering switching English programs.

I would like something that she could open and go with that is not going to be too time consuming or super wordy but still has clear, concise explanations. Does that make any sense?? Do you have any recommendations for me or any experiences switching from R&S to another grammar program in high school?

Thanks so much.

I have an aspie as well (now age 17). *If* you decide that you need to work some more on grammar, I highly recommend Jensen's Grammar. This is a one-yr course that is not wordy, builds sequentially, and has the student *demonstrate* the concepts through specific, written sentences, and thus bridges the grammar-writing gap nicely for aspies.

ALSO, many high schoolers greatly benefit from *advanced* punctuation lessons (as these are tested on the SAT *and* are needed for college-level writing)--Jensen's Grammar introduces some of these typically-problematic punctuation issues (think semi-colons, for example). This can be easily followed up with his book Jensen's Punctuation. My two oldest (Dean's List students at college, sophomore and senior respectively) went through this book and have appreciated many times over the skills gained.

HTH,