Menu

suggestions for what to do after Headsprout...

jojomojo

My ds is heading into the second half of Headsprout. He's doing great. He's reading all of their print out books as well as his Bob books (level a, set 1).

Any suggestions on what programs to look into once he finishes HS? I'm not sure where the program ends. I was hoping I might hear from someone who has used it :001_smile:

ETA: I just found the pdf on their site with reading levels, etc. The program ends on a 2nd grade reading level. Any input on great programs to move into after HS would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by jojomojo

I'm doing this...:lurk5:, I have 3 kids that just started the 2nd half of the program..I have no real plans, but I was thinking I would probably just get some used Abeka readers, they have the grade level and month or is it grade level and sequence?..on the spines. I was thinking we would work out of several of those together, and then move on to independent reading.

My youngest is dyslexic, so when she finished Headsprout, she still needed a lot more instruction.

I found that the I See Sam readers worked wonderfully with Headsprout. The first three sets covered the same code as the first half of Headsprout. The 4th set covered the same code as the second half of Headsprout. They didn't cover code in the same order, but they still worked together very well.

I See Sam readers go up to 3rd grade level. Most kids should place into the 5th set after Headsprout, but some would need to review a little of the code from the 2nd half and start with the 4th set.

My dd enjoyed the first three sets of I See Sam readers, but didn't like the way stories changed with the 4th set, so we didn't continue with them.

I ended up using Funnix level 2 after Headsprout. It starts almost exactly where Headsprout leaves off. The format is completely different, even though it's on the computer. I thought my dd might be disappointed by it after the great graphics in Headpsrout, but she liked Funnix better because of the stories.

My daughter finished the second half of Headsprout in October. I really felt that she was more of a mid first grade level than a mid second grade. However, it gave her a great foundation and she has made great progress since completing it. Now, she was not quite five when she finished Headsprout.

I decided that while she had decent fluency, she wasn't solid on her decoding. I got a bunch of easy to read books (Dr. Seuss, Little Bear, Henry and Mudge), and then we would take turns reading. (You read a page; I read a page.) I did this and then I got the Christian Liberty Nature Readers, and I had her start reading through a story a day as well. I would hold a sheet of paper under the line to keep her from getting lost in the text.

I decided to approach phonics separately for a bit. We got Explode the Code, and we've started working through it for reinforcement. She has a hard time with writing, so she will spell the words with letters I've written on index cards, or she will dictate and I will write in yellow marker and she will trace over. However, recently I've decided that this is still fairly frustrating for her because of the writing, so we're moving on to the Dancing Bears. She actually passed the test, so we are doing the Fast Track A-B book. It works on decoding and fluency, and then we work on the connected text with the Nature Readers and other easy readers.

I'm pondering getting Read Write Type as a follow up computer program, though I also looked at Funnix. Good to know it is at the same level. How much writing is there in Funnix?

Edited by Terabith

Funnix doesn't actually have a lot of writing, but it sure seemed like a lot to my dd. If there had been any more writing at all, she would have refused to do it.

From what I remember, there were always 2-3 sections. One part was either multiple choice or matching (had to write the number and the letter for these), 4-6 questions. The next part was spelling, 4-6 words. I think there was sometimes another part that was fill-in-the-blank. It's been 2.5 years since my dd finished Funnix, so I don't remember too clearly now. If I can find the spiral she used that year, I'll come back and post a correction (if needed).

DD completed Headsprout last June, the week before our library's summer reading program started. She read a book from their beginning reader section aloud to me each day all summer, and it was the perfect follow-up for her. At the end of August we resumed ETC at book 4 (we did book 1 before Headsprout, books 2 and 3 while working through Headsprout). We also continued with the daily oral reading.